Gas mileage

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I was concerned about the Rubicon tires being heavy and wide, affecting mpg and steering effort/wear. I chose 255-80-17 instead, slightly taller but narrower and more than 10 lb. lighter than the Rubi size. So, while they are 1.6" taller and 18 lb heavier than the stock Bridgestones, the mpg is just as good. IDK if the Rubi size begins to affect mpg noticeably.

JimsGlad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
CSM, US Army, Retired
Over last 1800 miles, hiway, city, and some dirt, the Overland has averaged 22.1.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Something I have noticed is after a oil change by dealership my MPG has dropped. I started to go ask what the F### are they doing to it when they change the oil, my MPG drops 4+ miles per gallon after oil change.
So far after having dealership oil change it takes 2 refuelings to get back to same average as before. 23-24 MPG, last few days driving I'm staying at or above 24 until I drove around in Huntsville or Decatur city driving, if I'm just driving though. I don't see a drop off in MPG just when I get stuck behind jack @## driver's riding and stepping on brakes for no damn reasons or putting around at half the speed limit... :mad: I don't know WTF people driving around with their foot on the brake pedal all the damn time. :mad::mad::mad:
FYI: Reasons of rapid brake pads wear out and burned out brake lights. Same reason for most clutch wear on manual transmission vehicles is Dumbass's riding the clutch.... Last part is IMHO.
All of that leads to lower MPG too. AKA rolling resistance.

USMC32GTR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Skyline GTR, 2021 JT Rubicon 6MT
Occupation
Analyst
Getting 16.X mostly highway and 17.0-17.2 all highway. Max speed 74mph (everyone blowing my doors off can’t go much slower). Rubi manual totally stock. I’m no stranger to driving for mpgs. Don’t see how on earth the EPA 16/23 ratings are legit. Unless it is the optional MT tires? I’m guessing they didn’t do the EPA test with the MTs. But could that really take 5-6mpg off of hwy? Is anyone getting in the 20s on a Rubi manual?

Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't realize the Rubi's were getting that low of mileage. I have been getting 21-22 in the Overland. 14-15 seems a drastic drop.
Question. What is your driving style and where are you driving? Are you exclusively driving on the highway? I've gotten a new 2021 Overland and in the first 500 miles, it is averaging about 15.4 MPG. Mine is mostly around town with some interstate daily.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Getting 16.X mostly highway and 17.0-17.2 all highway. Max speed 74mph (everyone blowing my doors off can’t go much slower). Rubi manual totally stock. I’m no stranger to driving for mpgs. Don’t see how on earth the EPA 16/23 ratings are legit. Unless it is the optional MT tires? I’m guessing they didn’t do the EPA test with the MTs. But could that really take 5-6mpg off of hwy? Is anyone getting in the 20s on a Rubi manual?
Yeah that's what I'd like to know too. Doesn't seem possible on my MT rubi. 16 is what I get on average and towing I get 12. Never came close to 23 highway.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah that's what I'd like to know too. Doesn't seem possible on my MT rubi. 16 is what I get on average and towing I get 12. Never came close to 23 highway.
Yeah...I have JTR w/ MT Tires and I get nowhere near 23 on the highway...at least at any reasonable speed.

My avg since getting it almost a year ago...fluctuates right around 16.5-17. That is mostly back and forth to work with a few trips from Fl to NC. Just monitoring last trip I took to NC...mostly I95...averaging around 75mph...I was showing around 18 or so MPG.

That said...my 2008 JK got about 12mpg...no matter the conditipons.... speed...road, dirt,snow,water,thrown out the back of a C130...with a tail wind...solid 12mpg =P

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
All freeway yesterday but did involve some climbs. 16.1 mpg on my all stock Mojave

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
I have a manual Rubi on the stock M/T’s , 1.5” spacer up front, 3/4 in rear. Over the last 13k miles my average is 19 mpg. 2k of those miles was towing a PopUp through Colorado and Utah and some off-roading. I’ve had some tanks where my average is above 20mpg. My daily driving is on somewhat flat terrain along the front range in Colorado, mix of city and two lane highway. I’m pretty easy on the gas peddle and don’t really run the rpm’s up past 3k very often.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Something I have noticed is after a oil change by dealership my MPG has dropped. I started to go ask what the F### are they doing to it when they change the oil, my MPG drops 4+ miles per gallon after oil change.
So far after having dealership oil change it takes 2 refuelings to get back to same average as before. 23-24 MPG, last few days driving I'm staying at or above 24 until I drove around in Huntsville or Decatur city driving, if I'm just driving though. I don't see a drop off in MPG just when I get stuck behind jack @## driver's riding and stepping on brakes for no damn reasons or putting around at half the speed limit... :mad: I don't know WTF people driving around with their foot on the brake pedal all the damn time. :mad::mad::mad:
FYI: Reasons of rapid brake pads wear out and burned out brake lights. Same reason for most clutch wear on manual transmission vehicles is Dumbass's riding the clutch.... Last part is IMHO.
All of that leads to lower MPG too. AKA rolling resistance.
I noticed that on mine as well. After I went in for my 5000 mile change (I actually didn't get there till around 6000 miles). My MPG have dropped off. I asked them what the heck did they do and they said all they did was change oil and rotate tires along with checking the systems out. So far my MPG has not recovered yet after about 1000 miles of driving a mix of highway and city.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
My stock JT Sport S gets a reliable 19-20 mpg around town; my wife's stock 2017 JKU Sport S only gets about 16-17 around town. I figure the JKU would get better because it has 3.21 gears while the JT has 3.73 gears - maybe the JT has different gearing in the transmission?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
My stock JT Sport S gets a reliable 19-20 mpg around town; my wife's stock 2017 JKU Sport S only gets about 16-17 around town. I figure the JKU would get better because it has 3.21 gears while the JT has 3.73 gears - maybe the JT has different gearing in the transmission?
That is what I was getting on the stock tires of my Sport S Max Tow. But when I changed to Rubi Take offs it dropped down to around 17 MPG around town. After this last oil change it has dropped further.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
First 600 miles, my average was 10 MPG! Yuck. Mostly short trips around town. Lot's of remote starts with the cold weather.

I had a 100 mile trip today where I went over 700 miles on the odometer. Cruising on the highway in 8th gear at about 75 MPH, I'm getting 17.5 MPG. Once I got to a slower highway at 55 MPH, I was getting around 23.5 MPG. HUGE difference I noticed right away as I slowed down.

My cold tire pressure was perfect at 37 PSI. The whole trip was flat, no major changes in altitude.

Hopefully my MPG gets better than this as I get passed the a couple thousand miles.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
Okay, i don't get this at all. I understand that there are many different driving styles and areas all over the US and Canada will be different, but how in the world can the same vehicle range from 24mpg to 12 mpg? I can understand if you were flooring it off of every stop sign and red light and lived in Colorado then driving it like an 80yr old in the MidWest or in the Prairies...but that would effect like 5 to 6 mpg's right? Or am I completely wrong here?
Sponsored