Sponsored

GDE vs EOC/MR

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
3,349
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Is this something that's been verified? As far as losing power and economy?
Yes. Not only has it been verified, but customers could notice it. As a matter of fact, EOC stopped deleting the swirl valve function because it was known to be more of a detriment than a positive.

Here are a few quotes:

"Without swirl valves you tend to lose about 1 to 1.5 mpg in city driving (below 2200 rpm in light medium load range). Keep in mind the cylinder head has one tangential port and one helical port. Without swirl the helical port is not being utilized properly. Technically one would need a new cylinder head design with different port geometry to have optimization without the swirl system." – Keith

“We do not alter swirl settings in tuning regardless of egr, air motion is critical for more even combustion. Google may not be my resource of choice for engineering information. The chamber needs high swirl at lower rpm, it helps disperse injector spray before the combustion starts. Otherwise, you get hot spots in chamber and areas of incomplete burning. During my time at Detroit Diesel we increased swirl with valve geometry, port shape and eyebrows on cylinder head as opposed to helical ports and swirl. Bigger engines have more room to play with stuff like that vs. these small diesels.” – Keith

"Swirl valves increase low rpm torque and efficiency by closing 1 intake runner which increases the intake air flow velocity into the cylinder, which creates more swirl in the chamber, to create a better combustion event. Removing the swirl valves will result in a small reduction in performance at lower rpms. I could tell the difference in my personal truck below 1400-1500 rpms with transmission tune it has, it will hold gears down below 1500rpms and after removing the swirl valves it was noticeably sluggish in that range. This can be alleviated with changing the tuning to keep rpms higher but may result in worse mpg, mine definitely did not improve but I don't recall a significant loss in mpg either. If I ever pull the intake manifold again I plan to reinstall functioning swirl valves." - Jonathan
Sponsored

 

RhinoJT

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Nov 4, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
161
Reaction score
234
Location
Encinitas CA
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Ecodiesel
Occupation
USMC Pilot
For anyone that has one of the tunes, is it possible to say if I had my stock ECU, and the tuned ECU, if I ever had to go to the dealer or something else, I could just swap the stock non-tuned ECU back in, run it through some drive cycles. Then once I am done, swap the tuned ECU back in? Seems like it should be that easy, other than probably having to run each through drive cycles for monitors and such. Or am I way off base here?
 

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
3,349
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
For anyone that has one of the tunes, is it possible to say if I had my stock ECU, and the tuned ECU, if I ever had to go to the dealer or something else, I could just swap the stock non-tuned ECU back in, run it through some drive cycles.
It's very common for owners to switch back and forth between the tunes for dealer visits. I've been doing that for several years. Fortunately, I can swap tunes on my 2015 EcoDiesel with the handheld device rather than swapping ECUs.
 

RhinoJT

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Nov 4, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
161
Reaction score
234
Location
Encinitas CA
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Ecodiesel
Occupation
USMC Pilot
Yeah, I had heard you don’t want to swap ECUs a bunch due to sensor data it stores and key cycles. Once every two years hopefully shouldn’t be an issue.
 

rharr

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 6, 2021
Threads
29
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2,911
Location
Tucson, AZ
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Yeah, I had heard you don’t want to swap ECUs a bunch due to sensor data it stores and key cycles. Once every two years hopefully shouldn’t be an issue.
No one is looking that deep, swap as needed. Where you get in trouble is if you pull your exhaust and go full open or pull your DEF then install a stock ECU, it will light up like a xmas tree because it will see the missing parts.
Running a stock ECU requires the rest of the truck to also be stock.
 

Sponsored

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
3,349
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I've seen a lot of people lose their tune over the years by not changing back to the stock tune when going to the dealer.
 

Rusty PW

Well-Known Member
First Name
Russ
Joined
Jan 10, 2022
Threads
38
Messages
12,072
Reaction score
32,223
Location
Fayette Nam, Pennsyltucky
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Yes. Not only has it been verified, but customers could notice it. As a matter of fact, EOC stopped deleting the swirl valve function because it was known to be more of a detriment than a positive.

Here are a few quotes:


"Swirl valves increase low rpm torque and efficiency by closing 1 intake runner which increases the intake air flow velocity into the cylinder, which creates more swirl in the chamber, to create a better combustion event. Removing the swirl valves will result in a small reduction in performance at lower rpms. I could tell the difference in my personal truck below 1400-1500 rpms with transmission tune it has, it will hold gears down below 1500rpms and after removing the swirl valves it was noticeably sluggish in that range. This can be alleviated with changing the tuning to keep rpms higher but may result in worse mpg, mine definitely did not improve but I don't recall a significant loss in mpg either. If I ever pull the intake manifold again I plan to reinstall functioning swirl valves." - Jonathan
This sounds like how Honda V-Tec operates. My Honda VFR 800 motorcycle has one intake valve closed until 7,000 rpms, then the other intake valve opens. Sounds like a 4 bbl carb when it happens. And you get a nice rush of power.
 

Tlicious556

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 1, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
45
Reaction score
16
Location
CT
Vehicle(s)
ecodiesel soon
You will be losing power and fuel economy by deleting swirl valves. It's not recommended.

The GDE EPA Compliant Tune uses EGR.
The GDE Afterlife Tune disables EGR.
well i didn't realize that part, i thought it turned it off.
 

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
3,349
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
well i didn't realize that part, i thought it turned it off.
In order to be EPA compliant, all emissions systems need to work. GDE does a good job with tuning, so you will have a cleaner combustion which results with fewer regens, but the EGR is still in use.
 

cmb396

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 30, 2021
Threads
27
Messages
367
Reaction score
474
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What would be the best tuning option for a jeep that takes a lot of short driving trips? We just purchased a diesel for our son that's still in hs, so no long sustained highway driving. Ten miles from home to school, to football practice, some running around, and home.
I had full intentions of doing a full delete, but after getting several very pricey quotes (3k and up), that has been put on delay.
Main goal is to cut down on regen and longevity.
 

Sponsored

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
3,349
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
What would be the best tuning option for a jeep that takes a lot of short driving trips?
The GDE Afterlife tune is the best for longevity. With that said, my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel is bone stock, and I've been driving to work and back for 11 years without any issues. I live 7.8 miles from work. Short commutes aren't as detrimental as some make it out to be.
 

cmb396

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 30, 2021
Threads
27
Messages
367
Reaction score
474
Location
WV
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The GDE Afterlife tune is the best for longevity. With that said, my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel is bone stock, and I've been driving to work and back for 11 years without any issues. I live 7.8 miles from work. Short commutes aren't as detrimental as some make it out to be.
Perfect, thank you for the feedback!
 

22EcoDs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2021
Threads
16
Messages
1,526
Reaction score
1,691
Location
NY
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
I have had both the gde epa and the gde afterlife. EPA compliant does use EGR but I can confirm it flips to downstream very quickly , reducing the sooted upstream circuit time, and only routing "filtered exhaust" into the system. Afterlife turns it off completely. I do notice a difference in dpf buildup between the two. Afterlife it never builds up, seems to peak around 11-15 and then only regens after 1000 miles. Regen also clears faster it seems. I average 23-25 mpg depending on how I drive , highway on 315/70 grabber atx. I just switched to Nitto g3's dropping ~7lb a tire so i'm hoping for a small improvement. I will say afterlife oil is staying significantly cleaner.
 

Free2roam

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Mar 1, 2021
Threads
30
Messages
5,607
Reaction score
11,890
Location
89521
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So if you go afterlife tune. Keep your stock ECM can you just switch back and forth when having to smog or go to the dealer?
 

biodiesel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Threads
15
Messages
2,568
Reaction score
3,349
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I will say afterlife oil is staying significantly cleaner.
Turning off EGR makes a huge difference in engine cleanliness. My buddy just turned 614,000 miles yesterday on his 2015 Ram EcoDiesel (GDE tuned).

Jeep Gladiator GDE vs EOC/MR 1Kyp0Pd
Sponsored

 
 







Top