BlackOak

BlackOak

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It started at the bottom edge of the driver door with bubbling paint and white corrosion on the inside at the rolled edge at the bottom of the door when the dealers warranty person looked at it she walked around taking pictures and said I needed a new door and hinges all around because they hadn't been treated before installation turns out you have to have a dealer with a body shop or you pay anything over and above what they will allow this I heard from another dealer
FYI look for a with powdery substance along seams and the like I enjoy the truck reminds of the 3/4 truck I drove a long the flight line servicing Huey radios in the service 55 years ago
Sponsored

ArchEtech

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon M6
I don’t think getting hinges and paint fixed properly is going to reduce resale all that much. Having it fixed may make it more desirable to some buyers.

JonMN

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Mojave x, F150, RX350, Class B
Occupation
Retired . . . "Money for nuthin . . ."
It started at the bottom edge of the driver door with bubbling paint and white corrosion on the inside at the rolled edge at the bottom of the door when the dealers warranty person looked at it she walked around taking pictures and said I needed a new door and hinges all around because they hadn't been treated before installation turns out you have to have a dealer with a body shop or you pay anything over and above what they will allow this I heard from another dealer
FYI look for a with powdery substance along seams and the like I enjoy the truck reminds of the 3/4 truck I drove a long the flight line servicing Huey radios in the service 55 years ago
Thanks--I like MN, but the winters can mean a LOT of salt. Just bought my Gladiator, so I am planning a DIY WoolWax application later this summer. I will shoot some in the lower door drains too.

OP
OP
BlackOak

BlackOak

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks--I like MN, but the winters can mean a LOT of salt. Just bought my Gladiator, so I am planning a DIY WoolWax application later this summer. I will shoot some in the lower door drains too.
Good idea, snow yes 90 inches 22-2023 a record this usual 51 inches it's the 40 degrees below zero some winters

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
My 2020 has been approved for repairs, and will go into the shop in June. The dealer here has no body shop, but works with this issue with a body shop in the area.

Mine is not on the doors... it is along the bottom edge of the hood, and on the bottom edge of the tailgate. Make sure to take the Jeep into the dealer/body shop clean, and walk the vehicle with them... I did not see the hood, but the paint guy at the body shop saw it, and made certain to document it.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator corrosion issue 1715348679595-ra
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator corrosion issue 1715348617934-kq

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I don’t think getting hinges and paint fixed properly is going to reduce resale all that much. Having it fixed may make it more desirable to some buyers.
when people see a VIN report from a body shop they worry. It's a stupid tool used like KBB or carfax to widdle prices. Only benefits a buy not a seller.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
Just interested, where was the corrosion BlackOak? I would have thought aluminum doors would be a plus.
It's a molecular battle between aluminum door panel and steel hinges. The steel and aluminum should not be in contact with each other. The same thing happens if you use the wrong valve cap on your TPMS stem.

Corrosion develops when two dissimilar materials are combined in a corrosive electrolyte. This can occur when certain materials (such as aluminum) are in contact with stainless steel. The most common solution to prevent galvanic corrosion is to select metals that are close together in the galvanic series

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
My 2020 has been approved for repairs, and will go into the shop in June. The dealer here has no body shop, but works with this issue with a body shop in the area.

Mine is not on the doors... it is along the bottom edge of the hood, and on the bottom edge of the tailgate. Make sure to take the Jeep into the dealer/body shop clean, and walk the vehicle with them... I did not see the hood, but the paint guy at the body shop saw it, and made certain to document it.

These pictures tripped me out until i read where it was. LOL my brain could figure out what i was looking at. BAHAHAHAHA

JonMN

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's a molecular battle between aluminum door panel and steel hinges. The steel and aluminum should not be in contact with each other. The same thing happens if you use the wrong valve cap on your TPMS stem.

Corrosion develops when two dissimilar materials are combined in a corrosive electrolyte. This can occur when certain materials (such as aluminum) are in contact with stainless steel. The most common solution to prevent galvanic corrosion is to select metals that are close together in the galvanic series
Interesting--on my 2024 both hinge and door are non-magnetic. Think the pin might be the culprit? (No rust yet, just following thread)

Sponsored

JonMN

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good idea, snow yes 90 inches 22-2023 a record this usual 51 inches it's the 40 degrees below zero some winters
Grew up in Northwest MN. Moved to Stillwater MN for a warmer climate!

Last edited:

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
Here in So Cal I fight the rust my own way. I know that the Jeeps were designed and built in covered buildings and never were exposed to weather in that time. So I don't ever take mine out in the rain or go through water. It's really easy. Mine still looks new. If you take it out in bad weather you risk loosing your warranty,,,, LOL>

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
Interesting--on my 2024 both hinge and door are non-magnetic. Think the pin might be the culprit? (No rust yet, just following thread)
maybe its the bolt

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
What is this "we will pay" crap? Do they contract out their body work to a third party body shop?

Outer body panel corrosion warranty is 5 years, unlimited miles. They should be footing the whole bill on this.
These days it seems that Stellantis is stubborn to honor factory corrosion warranty claims.

My boss has a 2020 JL Rubi that has extensive underbody rust (according to him) from being driven in our northern rust belt. It has 55k miles and is well within the parameters of the corrosion guidelines. His issue was confirmed by the dealer and a field rep that inspects any given claims of this type in our zone of dealers.

After months of waiting to get the necessary repairs started, Stellantis eventually denied the claim stating that the vehicle was built in Canada and there was nothing that they could do. What a crock!
Sponsored