First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I believe that the Alucab Canopy Camper is about $12K without any interior build out
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my review of the Dash Mini Griddle vs. Road Pro Skillet for solo truck camping.

The Dash Mini (120v 350 watt) took about 10 minutes (including 5 minute heat up) to cook the Ham, Egg & Cheese Bagel and the Road Pro (12v 180 watt) took 25 minutes (including 10 minute heat up).

If I only took one of these camping, it would have to be the Road Pro. It's slower, but it can also heat up soup and boil water, and the Dash Mini can't. The Road Pro will also work in any vehicle with a 12v cigarette outlet.

That being said, the Dash Mini is only $12 where the Road Pro is $41. I'm keeping both of them.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7813.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7830.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7832.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7833.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7837 2.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_7839.JPG

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I stopped by a friend's fiberglass shop to get quotes on fiberglass molds to build version 2 of my camper. I'll keep everyone informed if I decide to move forward with production.

I still have a lot to do in order to put together a business plan, but I was wondering what this forum thought about a $14,000 retail price for the camper with pop up and upper bed in Jeep Hardtop Black. Color matched, furniture, and shipping would be extra.

I would need to make a reasonable volume to get the price this low.

I bet you would have a fair bit of interest. The Alucab is neat but it is SUPER heavy. Yours looks a lot lighter and allows for a cab passthrough - although in the long run not sure how that will hold up as I think these still have some frame twist?

IMO though, it would probably gain more attention if the roof top portion wasn't so high. I know its to provide more headroom but thats a lot of extra height.

I believe that the Alucab Canopy Camper is about $12K without any interior build out
The last time I check it was closer to 18K just for the base unit.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Before this turns into a grim game of overlanding telephone, let's just refer to actual prices:

https://tinyrigco.com/collections/canopy-camper/products/alu-cab-canopy-camper

Base unit no options is about $10k. Truck-specific install kit ~$500. Sea freight ~$1250 when I got mine (this might be variable with global conditions). Labor is going to depend on location but I was charged for 13 hours total on my bare-bones install. I paid $14k OTD.

It's certainly heavy. (Also luxurious, roomy, and well-engineered IMHO; that's what you're paying for over a GFC or one of the newer cottage builds)

@Mules did you ever do a weigh-in on your build? It certainly has a lot going for it; no need for the redundant hard top, flexibility of movement, more efficient use of space. I don't think $14k is out of the question given those features. But net weight gain will probably be most buyers' first question (I understand, a more-manufacturable v2 could be quite different too).

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Before this turns into a grim game of overlanding telephone, let's just refer to actual prices:

https://tinyrigco.com/collections/canopy-camper/products/alu-cab-canopy-camper

Base unit no options is about $10k. Truck-specific install kit ~$500. Sea freight ~$1250 when I got mine (this might be variable with global conditions). Labor is going to depend on location but I was charged for 13 hours total on my bare-bones install. I paid $14k OTD.

It's certainly heavy. (Also luxurious, roomy, and well-engineered IMHO; that's what you're paying for over a GFC or one of the newer cottage builds)

@Mules did you ever do a weigh-in on your build? It certainly has a lot going for it; no need for the redundant hard top, flexibility of movement, more efficient use of space. I don't think $14k is out of the question given those features. But net weight gain will probably be most buyers' first question (I understand, a more-manufacturable v2 could be quite different too).
Final weight of my camper's bottom shell, top shell, tent, and upper bed is 210lbs.

Keep in mind this camper replaces the original hard top and back glass, so the net gain is only about 150 lbs. I believe net gain for the Alucab is 460lb.

Last edited:

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Final weight of my camper's bottom shell, top shell, tent, and upper bed is 210lbs.

Keep in mind this camper replaces the original hard top and back glass, so the net gain is only about 150 lbs. I believe net gain for the Alucab is 460lb.
aside from the cost, it was thr weight of the alucab that turned me away. As it is almost all of us are more than a few hundred pounds over gvwfor a weekend camp trip. I cant imagine how insurance would feel about the alu cab weight

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
250 lbs on mine plus the OVS 270LT awning. About 320 or so total. OVRLND Camper
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_20230126_135853788_HDR

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 97 TJ Sahara, 19 Cherokee Ltd
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Finally did my testing on a few items:
I had two Immersion Heating Elements that I bought last year and never used. Received my YQ-105 Hot Plate to test also.

Will write up the test of these three items for heating water in this post, then the cooking test of my Roadpro Saucepan (12v) and my new Dash Mini Griddle (110v) in my next post.

Tested these to determine time needed and used my Jackery 1500 to verify wattage draw.

Results:
Lewis N. Clark 120/240V Immersion Heater: 11oz of room temp water in a Stanley steel french press pot. Wattage draw from 107w to 114w. 165° in 9 minutes. 12 minutes till started bubblingat 180°. 20 minutes to 200° and light movement. Still no boil at 35 minutes and 5% drain on th Jackery from 99% to 94%. Conclusion: useful for warming water if have plenty of time. Will leave at home.

BeWinner 12v Immersion Heater. 8 oz room temp water in a glass mug, partially covered. Wattage draw from 110w to 115 w. 165° in 10 minutes. 180° and bubbles at 12 min. 200° in 19 minutes. At 25 minutes, still no boil. Jackery drain from 94% to 91%. Conclusion:: Same as above item, except more useful 12v for camping. Will carry it in camp kitchen.

YQ-105 Hot Plate: 110v. 4" round heating surface. 8oz room temp water in Stanley steel french press. Set dial to max heat at #5. Wattage draw from 477w to 480w. 180° with bubbles at 7 minutes. Boiling at just past 7 1/2 minutes. Power drain from 91% to 86%. Also tested at power level # 3, and wattage drain was 479w to 480w. Conclusion: Although small, this heats quickly and can be used with small pot or pan. Be sure to plug in outside for 15 to 30 minutes to burn off chemical residue that has strong odor. Is fine indoors after that. Also, be very careful when using unit as sides have no protection and get very hot. Will be using this regularly on my trips with a small skillet and pot.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20230130_151957 2 Heat Elements

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20230130_092328 110v 113 W 30 min simmer

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20230130_080239 Hotplate 487 W

20230130_142658 12v Heat Element 113 watt.jpg

Last edited:

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Test of Roadpro Saucepan 12v and Dash Mini Griddle 110v.

Roadpro Saucepan: 12v. . Wattage draw 115w. Have used this to warm canned soups, frozen chilli and spaghetti in past. Works well, just takes a while. Tried cooking to test result. 1 strip of bacon took 41 minutes to get done and 50 min to where I liked it. One egg took 6 1/2 minutes.
Conclusion: Good to use inside camper. Stable with 4 short legs. I will continue to use for soups, stews and chilli. For camp, will take precooked bacon to warm (rather than raw to cook,) along with english muffin to warm. Then cook eggs, and put all items in for last minute to reheat while eggs finish.

Dash Mini Griddle: 110v. Wattage draw 287w. Bacon cooked in 10 1/2 minutes. Very small. Only can cook one egg, or 1 strip of bacon (cut in thirds) at a time. Both top and bottom plates heat. Would be useful for warming bagels, muffins, cheese toast, sandwiches etc. Can cook small items.
Conclusion: Since so small, and I have the YQ-105 HotPlate to use, I will be leaving this at home.

20230131_144507 Dash Bacon 10 min.jpg

20230131_145259 Roadpro Egg 6plus min.jpg

20230131_142857 Roadpro Bacon 50min.jpg

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Roadpro Saucepan: 12v. . Wattage draw 115w. Have used this to warm canned soups, frozen chilli and spaghetti in past. Works well, just takes a while. Tried cooking to test result. 1 strip of bacon took 41 minutes to get done and 50 min to where I liked it. One egg took 6 1/2 minutes.
Conclusion: Good to use inside camper. Stable with 4 short legs. I will continue to use for soups, stews and chilli. For camp, will take precooked bacon to warm (rather than raw to cook,) along with english muffin to warm. Then cook eggs, and put all items in for last minute to reheat while eggs finish.

Dash Mini Griddle: 110v. Wattage draw 287w. Bacon cooked in 10 1/2 minutes. Very small. Only can cook one egg, or 1 strip of bacon (cut in thirds) at a time. Both top and bottom plates heat. Would be useful for warming bagels, muffins, cheese toast, sandwiches etc. Can cook small items.
Conclusion: Since so small, and I have the YQ-105 HotPlate to use, I will be leaving this at home.

20230131_144507 Dash Bacon 10 min.jpg

20230131_145259 Roadpro Egg 6plus min.jpg

20230131_142857 Roadpro Bacon 50min.jpg
I love these electric cooking comparisons. I tend to be a very light traveller, and the smaller/lighter the better. I'm mostly camping a couple nights, by myself, or with one other person, and the ability to cook inside without lugging the propane around is nice for these weekend adventures. Just jump in my truck and go. When the situation is right, there's nothing better than a camp fire or for a big group, my cowboy wok!

Sponsored

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
I love these electric cooking comparisons. I tend to be a very light traveller, and the smaller/lighter the better. I'm mostly camping a couple nights, by myself, or with one other person, and the ability to cook inside without lugging the propane around is nice for these weekend adventures. Just jump in my truck and go. When the situation is right, there's nothing better than a camp fire or for a big group, my cowboy wok!
Agree 100%. I like to keep gear compact and easy to move, as I sleep on platform in bed with my tent extension. Like to travel with everything protected inside canopy. Nice to leave gear inside if raining, or under tailgate if weather permits. I am trying to consolidate gear boxes/bags for different types of trips and different seasons, where I only need to grab the three or so appropriate boxes/bags and head out !

Since mine is a daily driver, want to park in garage, but have 82" height limitation. Wish I could find a 5' canopy with a hinged top that would allow standing in bed area, even if had to stoop. Looked at topper lift, but just not sold on it. If you ever see any ideas, please let me know.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Camper Side P

Camper Inside.jpg

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Camper Inside

Doesn't anyone use a jet boil and camp stove anymore? :LOL:

Electric to heat is not a very efficient use of limited electric power.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
Agree 100%. I like to keep gear compact and easy to move, as I sleep on platform in bed with my tent extension. Like to travel with everything protected inside canopy. Nice to leave gear inside if raining, or under tailgate if weather permits. I am trying to consolidate gear boxes/bags for different types of trips and different seasons, where I only need to grab the three or so appropriate boxes/bags and head out !

Since mine is a daily driver, want to park in garage, but have 82" height limitation. Wish I could find a 5' canopy with a hinged top that would allow standing in bed area, even if had to stoop. Looked at topper lift, but just not sold on it. If you ever see any ideas, please let me know.

Who made the tent?

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Doesn't anyone use a jet boil and camp stove anymore? :LOL:

Electric to heat is not a very efficient use of limited electric power.
Good point. But for people with solar it’s easily replenished.
I got some batteries to power electrical stuff at camp like blankets or kids stuff, so if I can heat a couple things off that without having to pack a jetboil or Coleman stove, then that will save some space.
But you’re right it’ll be slower and use plenty of electricity.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Finally did my testing on a few items:
I had two Immersion Heating Elements that I bought last year and never used. Received my YQ-105 Hot Plate to test also.

Will write up the test of these three items for heating water in this post, then the cooking test of my Roadpro Saucepan (12v) and my new Dash Mini Griddle (110v) in my next post.

Tested these to determine time needed and used my Jackery 1500 to verify wattage draw.

Results:
Lewis N. Clark 120/240V Immersion Heater: 11oz of room temp water in a Stanley steel french press pot. Wattage draw from 107w to 114w. 165° in 9 minutes. 12 minutes till started bubblingat 180°. 20 minutes to 200° and light movement. Still no boil at 35 minutes and 5% drain on th Jackery from 99% to 94%. Conclusion: useful for warming water if have plenty of time. Will leave at home.

BeWinner 12v Immersion Heater. 8 oz room temp water in a glass mug, partially covered. Wattage draw from 110w to 115 w. 165° in 10 minutes. 180° and bubbles at 12 min. 200° in 19 minutes. At 25 minutes, still no boil. Jackery drain from 94% to 91%. Conclusion:: Same as above item, except more useful 12v for camping. Will carry it in camp kitchen.

YQ-105 Hot Plate: 110v. 4" round heating surface. 8oz room temp water in Stanley steel french press. Set dial to max heat at #5. Wattage draw from 477w to 480w. 180° with bubbles at 7 minutes. Boiling at just past 7 1/2 minutes. Power drain from 91% to 86%. Also tested at power level # 3, and wattage drain was 479w to 480w. Conclusion: Although small, this heats quickly and can be used with small pot or pan. Be sure to plug in outside for 15 to 30 minutes to burn off chemical residue that has strong odor. Is fine indoors after that. Also, be very careful when using unit as sides have no protection and get very hot. Will be using this regularly on my trips with a small skillet and pot.

Great work!
FYI your container will make a pretty big difference in heating times.
Coming from home brewing where you try to boil 8gallons or whatever, the difference between an open aluminum pot vs an insulated container/top is immense!
I’d try using them in an insulated mug and cover the top best you can, even just foil.
Sponsored