Sponsored

Gladiator Factory Parts - where do they come from?

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
the Jeep coming down the line in the upper background... is that white with a weird blue reflection cast on it or a light blue tint primer coat or what?? Thinking the former but it looks light blue/ powder blue. :bandit:
EDIT: Appears to be bare metal. I just watched the production video - looks like once painted bodies go back upstairs but are lifted back down to the production line by a robot. The do not go down a ramp.
Sponsored

mzeblue

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, E300
Assembled in America is about as American as it can get anymore, as parts come from all over the world and likely assembled just-in-time at final assembly. But let’s be above the table, while I could afford a $100 t-shirt, I like my cheap ass shirts and underwear from Walmarts, probably made in China or some other part of Asia. I used to only buy Zeniths, when they were the only TV with any remaining semblance of made in America, but no more.....truth is we’d be naked or looking like bums and watching Zenith cathode ray tube TV’s if we bought “made in America” only.

This doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the yayhoo’s running around in a jacked up Toyota truck and a flag flown unceremoniously off the back bed, and some sticker trying to promote some misinformed political view in complete conflict with the underlying foreign vehicle.

Buy what you want anymore, but be informed, honest and consistent about it.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
This doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the yayhoo’s running around in a jacked up Toyota truck and a flag flown unceremoniously off the back bed, and some sticker trying to promote some misinformed political view in complete conflict with the underlying foreign vehicle.
Not trying to make a political point / argument, but I thought the Tundra was quite high in North American parts content. I think they even have a big R&D / Design and Engineering facility in So Cal. I mean, yeah, its not a American based company like Ford or GM.

mzeblue

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, E300
Not trying to make a political point / argument, but I thought the Tundra was quite high in North American parts content. I think they even have a big R&D / Design and Engineering facility in So Cal. I mean, yeah, its not a American based company like Ford or GM.
You’re right. They also employ thousands at their US HQ in Ann Arbor. I spent most of life in Michigan and spent the first ten years of my career as a product engineer in the auto industry so I don’t mean to sound ignorant to the reality of “made in America”, as some transplant vehicles have sufficient content to be technically domestic. The lines are blurred no doubt. I think my point still stands.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
My BiL has an interesting take on 'American vs Foreign'. His view is not to buy a foreign company's vehicle when new, as the foreign company gets the $. It's then OK to buy one as used. Of course, the folks here in KY at the Camry factory may disagree!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
My BiL has an interesting take on 'American vs Foreign'. His view is not to buy a foreign company's vehicle when new, as the foreign company gets the $. It's then OK to buy one as used. Of course, the folks here in KY at the Camry factory may disagree!
Well when it comes to Toyotas and Hondas, and now Hyundais and Kias, it is the smart move to buy used because they are very reliable.

I am the same way with some gun companies, like Springfield and Rock River Arms. After their actions in promoting gun control measures I wont be giving them any of my money. Same thing with certain states like California and NY. Hence I like to know where things come from, or at least who has benefited from making the product. I like to know that my spending dollars will go to certain states/communities, ultimately

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well the Sport fog lights wiring harness is made in Nicaragua.. I was surprised by the country of origin. Toyota is opening a new plant near where I live. I was of the mindset of buy American and do for most of my stuff. But the lines are well blended now as said by a few here. A major company that supplies most hydraulic systems world wide is a USA company that has mfg. and owns them in over 5 country's.

Soedog

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2006 BMW Z4 3. 0si. Previous Jeeps: 2012 JK Sport, 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock Edition
Occupation
Quality Engineering Tech
ShadowsPapa your comments about factory theft reminds me of the old Johnny Cash tune “One Piece at a Time”

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Wrangler has 74% of its parts made in the US
Not debating that number, but I would like to see how they are accounting for this.

Is a drive shaft and a screw each counted as "1" component. For example - if there are 10,000 American screws on the truck and 1 German transmission (consisting of 100 German parts), is it 99% US made?

Also, to what granularity does this get to: For example - If the seat was "made" in Kansas but:
  • Fabric: the fibers were manufactured in China from Venezuelan petroleum and dyed with Indian pigment, woven in Sri Lanka
  • Frame: seat frame was US sourced recycled steel, rolled and stamped in Mexico, coated with paint from Korea
  • Seat Heater: heating element was recycled copper wire from China, made in china
  • Foam: Foam is from India made from Qatar petroleum
  • Trim: Plastic molded in Indiana with Chinese virgin material from Iranian petroleum
What portion of the seat is "Made in America"?

Also, who owns the companies producing there parts? Are they publicly traded companies with a large percentage of shares owned by a foreign entity? Are the companies levered-up with foreign capital? Are there subsidies involved? Who owns the patents? Who produces the machinery used to manufacture? Where were the components designed and engineered? list can go on an on.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not debating that number, but I would like to see how they are accounting for this.

Is a drive shaft and a screw each counted as "1" component. For example - if there are 10,000 American screws on the truck and 1 German transmission (consisting of 100 German parts), is it 99% US made?

Also, to what granularity does this get to: For example - If the seat was "made" in Kansas but:
  • Fabric: the fibers were manufactured in China from Venezuelan petroleum and dyed with Indian pigment, woven in Sri Lanka
  • Frame: seat frame was US sourced recycled steel, rolled and stamped in Mexico, coated with paint from Korea
  • Seat Heater: heating element was recycled copper wire from China, made in china
  • Foam: Foam is from India made from Qatar petroleum
  • Trim: Plastic molded in Indiana with Chinese virgin material from Iranian petroleum
What portion of the seat is "Made in America"?

Also, who owns the companies producing there parts? Are they publicly traded companies with a large percentage of shares owned by a foreign entity? Are the companies levered-up with foreign capital? Are there subsidies involved? Who owns the patents? Who produces the machinery used to manufacture? Where were the components designed and engineered? list can go on an on.
I understand what you are saying. The article I am still trying to find accounted for such factors. I think it's the car.com article

"Cars.com said it has revamped its criteria to better reflect several factors. The study is now based on the following criteria: assembly plant location, the percentage of parts made in the U.S. used on the vehicle, the manufacturing location of the model's engine and transmission, and the number of American workers the manufacturer employs compared to its U.S. sales."
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...e-top-cars-com-american-made-index/423683001/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-...e-people-behind-the-jeep-plant-1420695900868/

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I understand what you are saying. The article I am still trying to find accounted for such factors. I think it's the car.com article
I hear you - I like to look at it more in terms of the overall economic lift. Would you rather people have $15 an hour jobs pulling plastic out of molds or $200 an hour jobs engineering robots to do the task (or servicing these robots / building these robots / training these robots). This is why I don't always put so much value on the "Made in US" as a label. I'd much rather support a company that is committed to improving the overall quality of life for American's (living wage, proper healthcare, advancement opportunities, paid time off) than one that is just concerned with stamping a label on something (minimum wage, not eligible for employer health plan due to it being part time, your-sick your-fired, etc).

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you - I like to look at it more in terms of the overall economic lift. Would you rather people have $15 an hour jobs pulling plastic out of molds or $200 an hour jobs engineering robots to do the task (or servicing these robots / building these robots / training these robots). This is why I don't always put so much value on the "Made in US" as a label. I'd much rather support a company that is committed to improving the overall quality of life for American's (living wage, proper healthcare, advancement opportunities, paid time off) than one that is just concerned with stamping a label on something (minimum wage, not eligible for employer health plan due to it being part time, your-sick your-fired, etc).
I am the same way for the most part. In the choice of lesser evils, I'll support the company with the $15/hr jobs and temp workers in the US than the one moving those jobs to Mexico or China and importing things to the US. To answer your question directly, I'll take $15/hr jobs over the $200/hr jobs because there are more people who can do the $15 jobs and the $200 jobs take away a lot of the $15 jobs. It's just the reality of the economy that everything is being more automated because the most expensive cost to a business is the human component. People want cheap products, they will do so at the cost of someone's job. People want a once-a-day pill instead of a time-tested slower-acting multi-dose medication, they'll pay for it with their "insurance" premium. But when I can, I'll support American jobs to the extent I can. And that's why I like to know how many American jobs does a product create, and how much of the money the company makes stays in the US (hence my conflicted feelings about buying Jeep profits go to a European company)
Sponsored