• Total voters

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Please don't grill me for this. I know I am asking the wrong crowd. But if you're offered a Porsche Cayenne base with premium package at the price of an LE, would you take it?
Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Do you need a truck or do you need an SUV? Are you planning on off roading? The Cayenne looks like a great vehicle, slightly better towing and payload capacity, but you sacrifice the versatility of a truck bed and the Gladiator's off road capabilities. Also, insurance and maintenance costs will be higher on a Porsche than a Jeep.

OP
OP

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
No, I would not take it. You are either in the market for a Gladiator or not.
I am in the market for the LE... Only about 2 weeks away from delivery..... Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to get my first truck and a legendary Jeep brand at that......
With that... a friend of mine mentioned the Porsche steep discount just over the memorial day weekend, that lil devil in me tempting to check it out.
I never did anyway.
The gladiator is what the family agrees on and first vehicle that everyone falls in love at first sight at the LA auto show. Everyone has a little input on what they want out of it. Where the Porsche is going to be a spur of the moment and all me.......
My excuse it the damn LE takes soooo long to arrive.... my will gets weaker by the day..... :(
Just venting out.... first world problem... :whew::whew:

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Please don't grill me for this. I know I am asking the wrong crowd. But if you're offered a Porsche Cayenne base with premium package at the price of an LE, would you take it?
What are your needs? Is this going to be your daily driver? Do you have children? Are you single? Lots of factors to consider.
I've always been a Jeep guy. My friends who drive luxury SUVs and sports cars don't get "it's a Jeep thing." I'm just not drawn to that sort of vehicle. I'd tire of a Cayenne after about a month. I like the ability to customize a Jeep and modify it. It's a hobby. An expensive one at that but one that I enjoy.

Sponsored

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Had a Porsche once - nice car, but more ostentatious and showy than I'm comfortable with on a daily basis.

I can trot out the LBD for special occasions, but I'm really a jeans and ball cap kinda girl. I'm the girl with a drooly dog, a hairy dog, and a mess of chickens. You're likely to see me every week at the Diner and feed store (hauling feed, not plywood: sigh) and less often a 5 Star look-at-me restaurant.

So my vote (wait for it): the JT all the way!

LOL

Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Disclaimer: I'm incredibly into Porsche. Hell, I am wearing a shirt of a Gulf Livery 917 as I type this. Although I don't think many people will be cross shopping Cayennes and Gladiators, its still fun to just pretend.

One thing for me that gives the Gladiator the edge of the Cayenne is that to me, the Gladiator was designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, while the Cayenne was conceived because corporate decided Porsche needed an SUV in its lineup to be profitable due to current market demands. The Cayenne is an incredible SUV and probably the more practical choice for most Americans that can afford it, but 20 or 30 years down the line, I think the Gladiator will be considered more of an iconic vehicle of this era, while the Cayenne will just be seen as the SUV that was great, but has lost most of its appeal as technology improves.

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chrysler Pacifica, 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
I currently own a 2019 Cayenne Turbo and I am in the market for a Gladiator as a weekend / fun / beach car. I think they are both amazing vehicles. I have not driven the base Cayenne, but my Turbo checks every box for me: luxury, style, comfort, performance, cache, utility, etc... I have young kids, however, and I'm more excited about piling them in the Gladiator on a Saturday morning to head out for an adventure somewhere. For what it's worth, they are much more excited about the Jeep too. That said, for me, if I could only have one of the two vehicles, I'd take the Porsche, just because it checks more boxes for me personally. As awesome as the new Wrangler / Gladiator are, I would personally have a hard time living with one as my DD / sole vehicle. It looks like you're based in LA, so you're obviously going to spend quite a bit of time in your car. I've found the interior of the Cayenne to be a much more relaxing and luxurious place than the cabin of the Gladiator. I've heard others voice concerns over Porsche maintenance, etc..., and as a longtime Porsche owner, I honestly haven't had any problems. Of course FCA doesn't have the greatest maintenance reputation either. I will say, for what it's worth, that taking my Porsche in for service is something I almost look forward to, whereas my experience at the Jeep service department feels more like a trip to the DMV. These are just some of the other factors to consider. In either case, whatever you decide, you're going to have an awesome new ride soon enough!

OP
OP

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thank you folks for your feedback. This JT will be my weekend mover for the family. They love the idea of an open top SUV/truck (coming from a convertible 4 series). I've never thought of the service on this vehicle. I remember when I had my fleet jeep, the experience is less to be desired for a brand that moving forward to the luxury territory. Less friendly advisors, overcrowded bay with 3 brands crammed to a single space. If I'm happy with the BMW service, I can only imagine what Porsche is going to be like.

With that, I feel that the Jeep forum offers a lot more support from fellow enthusiast, just like this forum (I have not joined the Porsche forum as of yet but). And I'm hoping that my trip to the dealer to be minimum..... on top of that the mad mods that be done to a Jeep rig is a big+ as its depreciation is uncomparable.

The mind is made up, thanks to this forum. However, I'm going to use this conundrum at the dealership to negotiate closer to invoice.... IN LOS ANGELES....

Thanks guys and wish me luck.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
My Porsche story, an excerpt from Trip Report :

"It's getting late in the eve of my second day of driving as I pull into a gas station alongside I-75 just south of the Florida border. The Z06 has just ticked over 500 miles and I am thinking I need to let those ponies loose. I look over at the far pumps and I have 2 Porsche’s filling up. A Boxster and a 911 Carrera. The two guys see me and wander over asking me about my ‘Z06. They tell me they are investment bankers from Atlanta heading down to an Alumni fraternity party in Tampa. From the looks of these two, I am sure they are going to have a gay ole time. Boxster boy is telling me how fast the other Porsche is and I listen as if I am impressed. They leave telling me they hope to see me out on the highway…bet on it banana breath!

I fill up my tank and head south. I bank right and hit the I-95 on ramp like Jean Claude Killy chasing Suze ChapStick down the slopes in Aspen. I turn my Valentine One to max bogie as I head down that highway and crank up Thrugood’s Bad To The Bone CD. It is not long and I come across the two-bobsee twins in their German machines. Boxster boy is following as I pull up beside the 911.

We are at 75 mph, I see the 911’s nose dip slightly and I know he is downshifting, I have 6 forward gears residing in a Tremec Mk 12 racing transmission, I see his nose dip again and I know he is fixing to hammer it. I am grabbing for gears faster than a monkey reaching for a banana. I see the nose head up and he has the drop on me as I catch the top of second gear heading for 6500 rpm, he has me by a car length or so but its German Vs. Chev iron or I guess aluminum in this case. Third gear gets here in a hurry, then it fourth, I left him behind in the top of third, but he is hanging on like a trapeze artist without a net.

Telephone poles are beginning to look like a picket fence and the dashed line in the highway looks like a solid line when I look ahead and see a long sweeper curve up ahead. We run out of straight away and head into the curve. Z06 will pull 1G and I know he can, but does he have the kahunas to hang in there?

I have the inside lane heading into the sweeper and I am looking at him in my right-hand side mirror. We are running about 135mph, I have been seeing him in that mirror since we hit triple numbers. As we go into the apex of the curve I see his nose-dive and I know he did not have the guts to stay the course, what do you expect from a jellyfish. I slow and those two have faded faster than memories of Kato Kaelin after the OJ trial. I see a sign for the Empty Arms Inn and I exit to spend the night."

OP
OP

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
My Porsche story, an excerpt from Trip Report :

"It's getting late in the eve of my second day of driving as I pull into a gas station alongside I-75 just south of the Florida border. The Z06 has just ticked over 500 miles and I am thinking I need to let those ponies loose. I look over at the far pumps and I have 2 Porsche’s filling up. A Boxster and a 911 Carrera. The two guys see me and wander over asking me about my ‘Z06. They tell me they are investment bankers from Atlanta heading down to an Alumni fraternity party in Tampa. From the looks of these two, I am sure they are going to have a gay ole time. Boxster boy is telling me how fast the other Porsche is and I listen as if I am impressed. They leave telling me they hope to see me out on the highway…bet on it banana breath!

I fill up my tank and head south. I bank right and hit the I-95 on ramp like Jean Claude Killy chasing Suze ChapStick down the slopes in Aspen. I turn my Valentine One to max bogie as I head down that highway and crank up Thrugood’s Bad To The Bone CD. It is not long and I come across the two-bobsee twins in their German machines. Boxster boy is following as I pull up beside the 911.

We are at 75 mph, I see the 911’s nose dip slightly and I know he is downshifting, I have 6 forward gears residing in a Tremec Mk 12 racing transmission, I see his nose dip again and I know he is fixing to hammer it. I am grabbing for gears faster than a monkey reaching for a banana. I see the nose head up and he has the drop on me as I catch the top of second gear heading for 6500 rpm, he has me by a car length or so but its German Vs. Chev iron or I guess aluminum in this case. Third gear gets here in a hurry, then it fourth, I left him behind in the top of third, but he is hanging on like a trapeze artist without a net.

Telephone poles are beginning to look like a picket fence and the dashed line in the highway looks like a solid line when I look ahead and see a long sweeper curve up ahead. We run out of straight away and head into the curve. Z06 will pull 1G and I know he can, but does he have the kahunas to hang in there?

I have the inside lane heading into the sweeper and I am looking at him in my right-hand side mirror. We are running about 135mph, I have been seeing him in that mirror since we hit triple numbers. As we go into the apex of the curve I see his nose-dive and I know he did not have the guts to stay the course, what do you expect from a jellyfish. I slow and those two have faded faster than memories of Kato Kaelin after the OJ trial. I see a sign for the Empty Arms Inn and I exit to spend the night."
Damn! thanks for sharing. I'm interested on your thought on the C8...

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I think this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I feel like you can't even compare the Gladiator to the Ford Ranger Raptor/Taco or any of the other trucks because of the unique abilities of the Jeep to become a convertible...

Maybe it is just me, but I don't subscribe to the theory that a Porsche is ostentatious or only douchebags drive Porsches and Corvettes :). I think people can be ostentatious and douchebags LOL... If you can afford it might as well rock it and enjoy it. I would like to get a Porsche 911 GTS as a weekend fun car but I can't afford it at this moment, but maybe in a 3-4 years I might pull the trigger cuz life is too short :blush:

So, either you are all in with the Jeep Gladiator or you are outta here :bandit: LOL

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Another Porschephile here - wearing a Rennsport Reunion IV t-shirt as I type. :)

Porsche sports cars are amongst the best vehicles in the world, bar none. Porsche racing cars (both factory program and private team) hold so many titles and records that it's impossible to keep up.

Porsche cars with 4 doors are simply not the same as the sports and racing cars, as they are (very well-executed) exercises in badge engineering using other platforms from the VW/Audi portfolio. The real issue with these cars (I owned a Macan S for some time) is you pay the "Porsche Tax" for parts, accessories, and other consumables, but get nowhere near the payback with the 4 door cars as you get from the sports cars.

I'd make an exception to the above for this particular Cayenne though: https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/the-porsche-cayenne-transsyberia-was-bizarre-256531

Especially if one could find a manual transmission unicorn.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Damn! thanks for sharing. I'm interested on your thought on the C8...
The C9 mid engine Corvette. Us vette guys have dreamed of this as long as I can remember and I got back to 1964.

Any step this radical requires a LOT of engineering forethought to get it right. If anyone can it's the Corvette guys! Then there is the engine. Everything I read tells me the all-new engine will be a flat plane. Lots of power, extremely high rpm's but with it comes vibrations. It will be the first flat plane for Chevy. SO lots of changes ahead.

Goes without saying that there will be issues that come up, nothing new is perfect out the door. I am optimistic its going to be a huge success. Year 1 will be a base Corvette, then following that will 2 or 3 more models: Z06, ZR1 and the Zora. I am guessing everything will be the build-up to the Zora and that is the built to take on the world of the exotics and spank them like a rented mule and that includes the Ford GT...just my guess, but I think it makes a lot of sense.
Sponsored