Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Spoke too soon here. 3 times in the shop, each time they’ve come up with a different rationale for the issues (stalling / turning off at idle, leaking fuel to name a few). STILL not fixed. Here’s a video of it turning off at a stop light. This has happened to me at left turns as well- a super dangerous situation. I feel no choice but to invoke the lemon law at this point

In Iowa I believe all that's needed is three times at a shop for the same issue that is not yet repaired, or a total of xx days in the shop and they don't have to be consecutive.

Have they had it happen when it was in the shop? They CAN leave a scanner connected and catch or freeze events. I did on my wife's GC just with an adapter and AlfaOBD so I KNOW they could do that with their own tools if it misbehaved for them.

In your video, between the upper right display of the outside temp and your digital speedometer's 0, is that an image of the start/ignition button? I see a circular thing pop up but can't tell on my screen what that is - brake + ign switch, perhaps?
It's almost like it received a stop/shut down command from the "ignition switch".
Sponsored

Brooksie488

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
In Iowa I believe all that's needed is three times at a shop for the same issue that is not yet repaired, or a total of xx days in the shop and they don't have to be consecutive.

Have they had it happen when it was in the shop? They CAN leave a scanner connected and catch or freeze events. I did on my wife's GC just with an adapter and AlfaOBD so I KNOW they could do that with their own tools if it misbehaved for them.

In your video, between the upper right display of the outside temp and your digital speedometer's 0, is that an image of the start/ignition button? I see a circular thing pop up but can't tell on my screen what that is - brake + ign switch, perhaps?
It's almost like it received a stop/shut down command from the "ignition switch".
They have not had it happen, but I am not very confident they have really tried hard at all. Each time they thought they had 100% diagnosed the root problem.
That is a picture of the ignition button. It’s telling me to move the car to park and then press the ignition.
For some more background, it starts really struggling / rumbling before it turns off. It then struggles to turn back on

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst

Hmmm, wheres the key FOB? low battery? Strange.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They have not had it happen, but I am not very confident they have really tried hard at all. Each time they thought they had 100% diagnosed the root problem.
That is a picture of the ignition button. It’s telling me to move the car to park and then press the ignition.
For some more background, it starts really struggling / rumbling before it turns off. It then struggles to turn back on
Like it's running lean, then starving, then it dies? First instinct for me is fuel supply loss....... but that's a guess on one video and your post here......

Brooksie488

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Like it's running lean, then starving, then it dies? First instinct for me is fuel supply loss....... but that's a guess on one video and your post here......
So they’ve thought twice it was the emissions canister flooding which then chokes out the engine. The first time
they thought it was due to 1.) overfilling initial tank 2.) last time they diagnosed it to a switch that needed to be replaced.

not sure if it’s flooded again or how that could happen

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So they’ve thought twice it was the emissions canister flooding which then chokes out the engine. The first time
they thought it was due to 1.) overfilling initial tank 2.) last time they diagnosed it to a switch that needed to be replaced.

not sure if it’s flooded again or how that could happen
I've filled my tank to the point that you could see gas if you tried, and could hear it almost right up to the cap area......... (not smart, I know but when you have a 50 cent discount that applies to "up to 20 gallons" you don't want to give that discount back so you squeeze hard)
I know these things purge things now and then - pulling in raw fuel??
Flooding makes sense if it's struggling to live, dies, then you struggle to get it going again. A flooded engine doesn't start easily at all.

Brooksie488

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've filled my tank to the point that you could see gas if you tried, and could hear it almost right up to the cap area......... (not smart, I know but when you have a 50 cent discount that applies to "up to 20 gallons" you don't want to give that discount back so you squeeze hard)
I know these things purge things now and then - pulling in raw fuel??
Flooding makes sense if it's struggling to live, dies, then you struggle to get it going again. A flooded engine doesn't start easily at all.
I am not sure! Neither is the dealership clearly. They keep telling me “none of it makes sense” yet here I am. They’ve replaced the emissions canister twice and the tube that runs from the cap to the tank. The tube replacement stopped it from leaking but I’m back with the dying engine issues.

Sean84

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Military Sales Rep @ Massif
I’ve got 13 thousand miles on my 2020 Gladiator and have my third gear box being installed next week. The second gearbox that went in was supposed to fix my steering issue but it made it dramatically worse. I’ve contacted a lemon law lawyer and will be trying to get my money back regardless of whether this fixes the isssue or not. I love the idea of my Gladiator but a years worth of grief on a brand new 55 thousand dollar truck has left pretty bad taste in my mouth.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I’ve got 13 thousand miles on my 2020 Gladiator and have my third gear box being installed next week. The second gearbox that went in was supposed to fix my steering issue but it made it dramatically worse. I’ve contacted a lemon law lawyer and will be trying to get my money back regardless of whether this fixes the isssue or not. I love the idea of my Gladiator but a years worth of grief on a brand new 55 thousand dollar truck has left pretty bad taste in my mouth.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. By the third gear box, I'd guess the problem isn't the gear box. And how a gear box relates to a steering issue, I just can't understand.

(my response is directed at Jeep, not you)

Sponsored

ArchieHenson

First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2014
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Yeah, that quote came to mind as well while I was reading about the third gear box.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think he’s referring to the steering gear box.

Kevin
Yes. The part is called steering gear. The transmission is the transmission. Obviously few have worked in parts or repair or they'd get some blank looks. (And fail the auto parts courses....yes there ws such a college course)

OP
OP
SnazGlad

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Update to my original post that started this thread, that I was just reminded of by getting an alert there were updated responses. Well, A year to the week of starting the lemon law battle over the Ram, it just went back under lemon law two days ago. So much of the paperwork already asked for and sent in, asked for again and again over the year. Seriously. And, the first buy back contract was wrong to Ram corporate advantage of course. A second grade math issue that took another few months to resolve.

Then, even the final file the third party showed up with, given to him by FCA/Dermatitis (whatever they are calling themselves these days) corporate had wrong paperwork galore.

AND, this includes even having the wrong state DMV paperwork in it for me to sign. Mind you the Truck was paid for in California, only ever in California, has a California title, I'm in CA etc. Yet, they sent another states DMV forms. What I was told would be a 20 minute turn in process took more than 3 hours. But, the turd is finally gone!!!

Meanwhile, I've been freaking loving the JT for a few months now. Definitely some great Snazzbery lemonade to come from all the above. Fingers crossed I paid my bad vehicle mojo dues on the Ram Limited 4x4.
Sponsored