Sponsored

Gladiator Off-road Capability

LostAndStranded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
So I’m in a Colorado ZR2 currently but am looking for a gladiator for the better off-road performance and easier mods like lifting it and fitting larger tires. Was just curious how impressed you are with your gladiator off road, it’s going to be my do it all vehicle so I need some utility but would also like to be able to off-road some moderate to harder trails. I know all about the wheelbase and all that stuff so no need to go into that but I need a bed and to be able to tow so a wrangler really isn’t an option. Thanks!
Sponsored

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
If you're familiar with Wranglers, a Gladiator will be almost but not quite as capable due to being a bit longer.

That said, a stock Gladiator will be very capable. You won't have any problems with moderate trails. With a few mods, you shouldn't have trouble with difficult trails either.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I traded my 16 Z71 colorado for my Willys Gladiator a year ago. I haven't looked back. This Gladiator is so capable and it's a blast to take off road. I dont have any idea what your needs are but it sounds like you do some off roading. That being said my only suggestion (if you off road regularly) get a Rubicon or Mohave for the lockers. I didn't get lockers and I will be adding some shortly. You're on a forum full of Gladiator enthusiasts so you're gonna get biased answers. Don't let all the problems scare you away. There's WAY more good stories you never hear about than the few bad ones you do. Yeah there are some issues but show me an auto maker that doesn't have them. If you like a truck that doesn't look like every other truck on the road, you're in the right spot. If you get one be ready to get your wallet out. The mod bug lives in these trucks. Good luck and welcome.

Last edited:

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Have not really off roaded .. not into the Rock Crawl thing; that's mostly what is at the OVH parks here. It was great on a 5.500 mile trip to the Grand Canyon last summer.. Here is a good series on the Mojave on uTube: https://www.youtube.com/@FarFromOrdinary

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Insanely impressed with the gladiator off-road and on road. Wouldn’t trade it for any other vehicle. It’s endlessly modifiable to whatever your needs are plus it’s a ton of fun to drive. There are things about it I don’t love, like the white non insulated roof, but that is a fairly easy fix.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
So I’m in a Colorado ZR2 currently but am looking for a gladiator for the better off-road performance and easier mods like lifting it and fitting larger tires. Was just curious how impressed you are with your gladiator off road, it’s going to be my do it all vehicle so I need some utility but would also like to be able to off-road some moderate to harder trails. I know all about the wheelbase and all that stuff so no need to go into that but I need a bed and to be able to tow so a wrangler really isn’t an option. Thanks!
We're biased, you should probably ask in another forum. The ride won't be the same.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Goes everywhere my Wrangler on 40’s goes. Just gotta lift it a bit more and understand the bed will scrape. Lines are a bit different, too. Love my truck.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I look at it this way. If my Gladiator can get me in and then get me out safely, then it has performed as advertised and to my expectations.... and I've never been disapointed.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
My two finalists for this truck were a ZR2 and JT Mojave. I felt the JT had a better interior, better back seats, better front seats, and was nicer to drive. The ZR2 had a little better suspension on pavement with the multimatic shocks but it didn’t make up for everything else. Plus I got a manual, so there’s that….

Sponsored

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
We have owned everything from POC vehicles to high end luxury and my Mojave is by far the best vehicle we have owned. We use it 80%-85% pavement pounder and the rest overlanding and beach running. More than capable to do what we put it through...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Rubicon w/Manual Trans Stock Suspension: 4 LO, locked F/R 3rd Gear and it just goes. Hasn't let me down yet, haven't had to use the winch yet. 1st Jeep, still excited when I see it in the driveway.

Also, I think it rides fantastic but it is solid axle so wash board will make you pucker at speed. Fit and finish is top notch too.

Bonus, door and roof come off, whole other world!

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Proper Armor and a winch and I reckon with time and patience you can get anywere with a few going around it rather than through it