First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Hello All, Looking for any input for 2020 Gladiator Launch Edition Rubicon overheating issues out there. I have had my Jeep into the Service center on 5 different occasions, (3 Different Service Centers) and still have overheating problems. A couple of times it ran hot enough that I had to pull over and shut it down totally. They have pressure tests each time. They have replaced the reservoir once, a hose once, and all antifreeze/flush on each occasion. This normally happens on trips from Indiana to Florida. The first time it happened I was pulling my 20' triton bass boat. Low profile and fairly aero dynamic and weighs less than 4K. The second time I was pulling Nothing. The Third time I was pulling my 16' Bass tracker aluminum boat, maybe 1800lbs. I usually run 75MPH on the interstate which I don't think should be an issue. Its the 8 speed automatic with 4.11 gear ratio and 33" tires. Basically everything is stock just like it came from the factory. No Aftermarket items or adds.
I love my Gladiator and do not want to get rid of it!!! But I cant seem to get this issue resolved and my confidence is really waning on being able to depend on using it for my fishing trips or long distances. Any suggestions or is anyone else experiencing this issue??
Sponsored

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
What warning do you get from the dash that its overheating?

OP
OP
Gladiator Launch Rubicon
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What warning do you get from the dash that its overheating?
Shotcaller,

The entire dash starts beeping and turns red, and the temp gauge starts flashing. This has happened twice. I have started using the temp readout gauge now from the accessory menu and watch the temperature closely. Once it starts raising up over 225 degrees I pull over and check the antifreeze level. Again, no visible leaks. With the vehicle running I carefully remove the res. cap and add as needed. About once a week when driving local. I also monitor the oil to make sure it is not milky incase of head gasket possibilities of small crack. Nothing in the oil, and I have it serviced very regularly. I have 18K on vehicle now.

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Dam. seems like they tried everything that I can think of. Maybe someone else can chime it.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Doesn't sound like it is a coolant/radiator issue. I'd start by getting an oil sample sent out for testing. Depending on the trace elements that show up can tell you if you are having bearing failure, coolant leak, water, etc. Something is definitely off.

My second thought would be to verify that an over temp is actually occuring. I am not familiar enough with this engine to know where it is taking the readings, but I'd ask your mechanic and keep a laser thermometer handy. Next time you get the chime, hit it with the laser. That should verify if it is a sensor issue. Much more common to have a bad sensor than an actual over temp on a new engine.

Odd that they you have to keep replacing coolant and they have tried messing with the tank and hose. I had a locomotive come in to the shop once with some generic hose swapped in for the radiator. Kind of a hail mary, but they wouldn't have happened to put an unstructured hose in, that collapses during vacuum?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Launch Rubicon
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Deadeye,

Both the reservoir and the hose were direct factory replacements. I will have to oil analyzed as you suggest, that's a great idea.

As far as running hot, it has boiled over and you can smell the antifreeze. I have tried both having the heater on and with climate control completely off. The truck is definitely running hot, but only as mentioned on occasion. I suspect a head or valve leak maybe exhaust side, but its not enough to produce smoke or water out of the exhaust. Its just very aggravating to purchase a NEW VEHICLE and pay CASH and have this issue with no real help from the dealerships. This was my RETIREMENT PRESENT to myself when I retired last year.

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
I had a similar issue with the a 2011 Grand Cherokee at 75,000 miles on it that I had bought new. Two dealers replaced the thermostat, radiator, and water pump. All of the work was on my dime out of warranty. I lost all confidence in it and traded it in to the last dealer that I paid $4,500 to in repairs. It seemed like a head leak to me based on that fact that is was so occasional and it never lost pressure when it was cold or just idling. Hope they figure yours out. Glad it is under warranty!

OP
OP
Gladiator Launch Rubicon
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All,

It ran Hot Again on my Trip from Indy to FL. It is currently in a dealership in Clanton Alabama waiting on a New engine to be delivered from Jeep. Head Issue

PJTree

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
All,

It ran Hot Again on my Trip from Indy to FL. It is currently in a dealership in Clanton Alabama waiting on a New engine to be delivered from Jeep. Head Issue
Thanks for the follow up. Makes sense and indicates poor manufacturing I believe. Hopefully the new one is good.
Sponsored