Sponsored

Gladiator vs Lincoln MKS - Accident

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
holy crap! What a bummer! Nice to see though that they can take a hit.

Your next one needs a 6" lift with 38" tires so that any car will just bounce off of you without causing any damage.
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
With uninsured motorist coverage I would have to go after the other driver myself for the cost of the vehicle or the repairs. With the coverage USAA pays for the repairs/replacement (after my $500 deduct) and they go after the other driver instead. I save the time, the hassle and the potential legal fees. I still have the right to sue the other driver for my deductible and other non-recoverable costs like taxes and licensing fees.
USAA is awesome. May cost a touch more but I will stay a member for life....

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Yeah, I have two teenagers driving. I increased my coverage to $100k property damage and $250k medical with a max of $500k. Nowadays with vehicles being so expensive, standard basic coverage just isn't enough. I put both kids on a vehicle monitor their first 90 days and I think it helped them form habits that are safer in terms of speed and braking. It also gave me a discount per vehicle (Safeco). I just told them that in order to keep driving, they'd have to pay the difference if they got a low discount. My daughter actually beat my wife in the discount percentage.

OP
OP
Heisler63

Heisler63

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ Wrangler Sport 2020 JT Gladiator Sport S
USAA is awesome. May cost a touch more but I will stay a member for life....
We periodically cost compare our USAA coverage with other companies. No one has even been close to beating USAA's price. Some companies won't even bother to offer you a quote when you tell them you have USAA. At least that has been our experience.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
At least the driver ended up on the roof stopping them from hitting and running like so many do anymore.

Definitely demand the truck be totaled. No way even in a good shop it's ever going to drive right again.

If nothing else pray that this incident teaches this goofball driver a lesson and they start paying attention to the road. I'll never understand people that barrel through neighborhoods.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Heisler63

Heisler63

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least the driver ended up on the roof stopping them from hitting and running like so many do anymore.

Definitely demand the truck be totaled. No way even in a good shop it's ever going to drive right again.

If nothing else pray that this incident teaches this goofball driver a lesson and they start paying attention to the road. I'll never understand people that barrel through neighborhoods.
That was my biggest fear when my buddy said "someone just hit your jeep" I was out the door in a flash hoping to at least get a make, model and licence plate. It was quickly obvious that there would be no hitting and running this time.

I suspect she won't be driving for quite a while. There were enough violations there to guarantee that her license would be yanked.

I have been working on trying to get it totaled. The estimator at the dealership says they will be willing to pay quite a bit on a vehicle this new. We have been discussing the options though and will keep pushing on it or least get some compensation for diminished value.

Astephan1284

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave, 2000 TJ Sport
Received delivery of our Gladiator at the end of May. Due to work commitments we haven't really been able to get it out on the road much. Two weeks ago we pulled it out of the garage to have dinner at friend's place. We heard a crunch outside and our friend said "someone just hit your jeep" I raced outside and this is what awaited us.
2m6ZpB_Ytb6g5X9lxoeSI-Xu6YCbBk6bkOgl9_lXnZW3GTpXplrJj1rMLzqs93fEb6Jp0Al93KCmRwrTUti=w703-h937-no.jpg

irX7LGvsGR6jTmKV_pTYSxcelxoeVtgyLYDDHRwUUChpi6azNw5w2aqmnj1YR8Ok2tqm5-7ToMQC_QKZ4aK=w703-h937-no.jpg

Some of the damage underneath
1cvQAaPOapT5hWp7wS9s_4PAoVhc8YjkGhkegbKCSpTzGpYynXrSDQF7zy_N8nq-2iKKLSDns9JdJ104pd=w1250-h937-no.jpg

brhFSabFOZ0H0NjuH0e0DzONitSo-fUhxvp3raX1T6mgGmDZXALyPMVWP7jeOevWvSvTZ_yJs0LImclHL6=w1250-h937-no.jpg

And here is what happened to the Lincoln MKX that hit us.

H8exKp31Q1qh4ntiVJZ82jguke2rSFt2G6yb8h_wZvP6MxOR6RSwKmf6AcWdxCBPik4LT2Y1_dJN3BsLzs=w1250-h937-no.jpg
AgMvFJylLzmY2h2vriJTh4J9k4dSHi2kB9G89GO8t8_8iVxWrrm_5_t4VN44qX8u9ax67GX58M9WerG3Lj=w1250-h937-no.jpg

When the tow truck flipped the Lincoln back up on its wheels I had to move the Gladiator to avoid getting hit by it again. Would not move in drive or 4 High, would only move in 4 Low and even then not without a lot of screeching and grinding. Some from the drive train, some from the left rear tire that was jammed up against the shock.

6SvK5KbVWNDXnF7z5bLao-5AmXL3bX0H0W_jqiWKsVRWsC57FonpiRD9bQkLzuODYfzT7H5uxKi6AFg_Ua9=w703-h937-no.jpg

From the point of impact to final resting spot, 10 1/2 feet. Estimator has so far indicated that two of the axles are shot, damage to the drive train, potential damage to the transmission, potential damage to the transfer case. Its been at the dealer's since 7/23. He can't even give us an estimate yet he can't get any numbers for the parts. We have no idea how long it will be out of action and there is still the potential that it will be totaled as the cost builds up. Our insurer assured us that they would only use new parts though!

The driver of the Lincoln is a 17 year old female, heading out to pick up her mother from work. At least she was wearing a seat belt as she came out of it pretty much unscathed. She only lived six doors down, just over the crest of a small hill, I have no idea how fast she was going but I'm guessing it had to be 40+ mph. To add insult to injury, uninsured driver. When the mom got there I over heard say that their insurance coverage had just lapsed. You have a 17 year old driver and you manage to let your insurance lapse?!

8IcpNKSNq8fa98_9WoqvJ14fumOgu0u71XIw_Wco4OrrsbUM2fhmb7FfjDW2Gnd_L_hlQ5kBljPAIdEtlI=w1250-h937-no.jpg
hmies.gif

OP
OP
Heisler63

Heisler63

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update
Parts starting coming into the dealership at the beginning of October. At this point all the work is completed except for the driveshaft. Because of the recall on the drive shaft there aren't any available and a new one is not expected to arrive until December 13th.

I have had several discussions with USAA about totally the vehicle and they still refuse to do so. At this point the cost of the repairs is still less than replacing it. The frame was bent, the dealer has "straightened it" we shall see. Even replacing the frame with a new one would not have increased the cost enough to total it. If we get the driveshaft by December 13th it will be basically 5 months without the vehicle, its driving my wife and I just a little nuts at this point.

We are seriously considering driving it from the dealership's collision center to the sales center and trading it in on another one.

Last edited:

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Update
Parts starting coming into the dealership at the beginning of October. At this point all the work is completed except for driveshaft. Because of the recall on the drive shaft there aren't any available and a new is not expected to arrive until December 13th.

I have had several discussions with USAA about totally the vehicle and they still refuse to do so. At this point the cost of the repairs is still less than replacing it. The frame was bent, the dealer has "straightened it" we shall see. Even replacing the frame with a new one would not have increased the cost enough to total it. If we get the driveshaft by December 13th it will be basically 5 months without the vehicle, its driving my wife and I just a little nuts at this point.

We are seriously considering driving it from the dealership's collision center to the sales center and trading it in on another one.
I would dispose of it ASAP. Good Luck.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
This will really be a good real life test for USAA to see just how good and fair they can be to you or to see just how poorly they treat you and your new ride. Do they value your business and your money or could they care less about either?

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Yeah straightened frame on a 50k vehicle with less than a thousand miles that is just wrong. Never mind what electronics or gear issues.

I am sorry for your hassles and bad luck. When your parked and not even in the truck there is literally nothing you could have done.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
A straightened frame will have the damaged area as a “weak” spot, I would have at least demanded a new frame. Sorry for your loss. :(

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Update
Parts starting coming into the dealership at the beginning of October. At this point all the work is completed except for driveshaft. Because of the recall on the drive shaft there aren't any available and a new is not expected to arrive until December 13th.

Thanks for the update. What an ordeal.
At the very least it’s “fixed”. Only you’ll be able to tell if it drives right to your expectations. I can see you selling it back to the dealer and purchasing another one.
I’d prolly do the same. Hopefully they’ll work an agreeable deal with you.
Good luck!!!