obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you lost terminology between transfer case and front dif you're in big trouble and probably shouldn't own any tools. Just saying 😃
What ever dude, I know what a friggin front diff is ... reread the thread or move on
Sponsored

Larry D

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order
Took the vehicle in and was told the front transfer case was twisted
Okay I went back and reread it. So there it is! This is why everyone was calling bs on it. Did you possibly bent the front axle? Probably a good chance of that or bent a knuckle. Or some of the steering components. Hope you get it all worked out. 🙂

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
it's hard to bend a steel tube that is 10mm thick, (aka ruby axle tube) so it is likely the knuckle or cracked FAD or cracked dif housing. The only really weak part in that mix is the alum knuckle, which if bent is a 2hr job and some dollars in parts.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Hey Cburd61.thanks for the info. I have not had an issue with Mckinney's service department yet and live a few miles away from them (this might be the one though) Would love to know more about your experience with them. I do know I will probably never buy another car from them again. They were horrible in the experience but they had the color rubicon I wanted (sarge) and I got a decent deal at about 2500 under MSRP 2 months ago. They are replacing they are now also replacing axels, front differential and arms. Again I really did not take pictures as I did not think of it as big of an issue as it has turned out to be. Wish I had so I could show everyone I will see if they can take pics of the parts
I would definitely tell them that I wanted all off the take off/damaged parts back... I always ask for my take off parts back, down to every bolt/screw.

Sponsored

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
So the other morning on my way to work my gate hit the front passenger tire of gladiator (gate randomly shut as a result of reset of operator by flicker of power). I got out of the car and saw no visible damage to the tire, fender or bumper but the steering wheel was upside down. Took the vehicle in and was told the front transfer case was twisted along with the trailing arm on the passenger side. Overall damage was 6,000.00. Luckily insurance is covering the damage but I am perplexed at how much the cost of the damage is from the front tire being hit at 3-5 miles per hour. My thought was the front end would take more hits on trail compared to this.
What a bunch of molarky. Not only did it "twist" the transfer case but it twisted the "front" one. I thought it only had one. What trailing arm? The front suspension on a Gladiator has "control arms". If you drove it to the dealer the aluminum knuckle is probably fine. It sounds more like a twisted steering box sector shaft or bend drag link to me. I did suspension and alignment work for over 20 years. Just a guess without seeing it. Sounds like the dealer is trying to scarf up some serious insurance money. One other possibility might be the track bar being bent or frame mount being bent.. Must have been a BIG gate.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
If not warranty work, I would take it to Chris Durham Motorsports in Pickens. Awesome work.

DannYaga

First Name
Dann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4x4 6.6
Occupation
trucker
You can also check the serviceability of the car's transfer case yourself. The appearance of noise may indicate its malfunction. Noise occurs when the oil level in the transfer case is low, the parts of the transfer case are damaged, or the differential and front axle are worn. Vibration may occur when starting and accelerating or difficulty shifting gears. It will also be advantageous to give the car to several services and hear several opinions. It will be even more helpful to hire a car accident lawyer, as they usually have a lot of experience in such collisions and may also suggest something to you.

Last edited:

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
I have seen gate openers do some crazy stuff. damage aside, you have a 14 foot lever being pushed by (assuming) a 110VAC electric motor. Probably an elite or a linear. That 14.5 foot gate is easily 250 lbs being pushed/pulled by an electric motor. The UL325 standard do require an obstruction force sensor but it does have to hit something first. Those setting are adjustable based on weight and length. There should also be a sensor in the ground to keep the gate open, like an exit loop and a photo beam, across the gate closed line. Anyways, i bet you can tell what i do for a living. did you get your Jeep fixed?

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
This thread is useless with out any updates ! Why do people post this shit and not give a update when all is said and done !!

Sponsored

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Throw the BS flag on that one and make them prove to you what was damaged. A $6K insurance bill (that will go solely against you since there no one else was involved) will cost you a pretty penny in the long run when they jack-up your rates. If you follow-thru with the insurance claim as stated, be prepared to change insurance companies down the road. Good luck with whatever path you choose, hope it all works out for you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Throw the BS flag on that one and make them prove to you what was damaged. A $6K insurance bill (that will go solely against you since there no one else was involved) will cost you a pretty penny in the long run when they jack-up your rates. If you follow-thru with the insurance claim as stated, be prepared to change insurance companies down the road. Good luck with whatever path you choose, hope it all works out for you.
In cases like this rates are rarely changed. Gate malfunction.
It's different if you have a "lose control" thing, or other "at fault" situations, but we've never seen our rates change over a claim.
If it was truly as stated, if it happened that way, I'd not hesitate to turn it in.
Sponsored