First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
I have owned a few diesel autos and the only times that I really benefited was on very long road trips. Even still, with the extended fuel range, I had to stop to pee. :)
There was never a cost of ownership or maintenance savings.

Now I just get gas variants.

If it's more power you need then maybe Jeep will drop that 470hp Hemi into the JT too. Just wait!
Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I saw the comment about "no difference" between the 3.6 and the diesel when towing. Are you kidding, gobs of torque the 3.6 only wishes it had.
While are correct about the diesel having gobs of torque, its towing capacity is less than the gasoline JT with Max Tow.

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
Unless you have a specific need for diesel i would stick to the gas. All that extra emissions stuff on the diesel engines isn't worth the ton of extra maintenance that is required. Not sure if Jeeps are the same, but I know a couple people with pickups with diesels and they all complain about regeneration cycles and having to add exhaust fluid (DEF) every so often.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
It is quite true that the rated towing capacity is lower on the diesel. This is said to be because of heat dissipation issues. How easily it pulls right up to the rated capacity may be an entirely different matter. I have not done the comparison, so I can't say from personal experience and I am just up to 1000 miles, so getting ready to pull a trailer for the first time. What I have seen on YouTube suggests the diesel towing experience will be better than gas. Again, it comes down to personal preference and risk tolerance. There is risk associated with the diesel. Third generation of an Italian engine that had issues in prior generations. Are they all fixed? We don't know. Lots of complicated and expensive emissions hardware. On the flip side, there is a longer powertrain warranty. Hopefully, your dealer will have both and you can compare before deciding. I have no regrets on my diesel purchase.

Mattdaddy1974

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have a JTR gasser and the only complaint about it I have pulling my 6200 lb. travel trailer was the narrow mirrors. It pulled it just fine at 60 mph. The diesel is still not proven as everyone has pointed out. I was also annoyed at having to install my own brake controller but it was easy enough and fits perfectly where the 12v outlet is. A v8 would be the only reason i would trade if its ever offered.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I find it hard to believe the limiting factor on the dieselā€™s towing capacity is heat, if that is the case how are they able to cool a 450hp 392ci V8 in the same engine bay in the JL? Granted it cannot tow as much but it would still generate a lot more heat IMO.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Looks like someone got the factory brake controller ;)

So about the "proven" diesel. This diesel has been used in the Ram eco diesel truck since at least 2014. I have a buddy that bought one new, he has 200K on it now and absolutely loves it.

I have another buddy that just bought the JT with the diesel and can haul his trailer at 75mph up some of the steepest interstates in AZ like there was nothing behind him. I know for a fact that the 3.6 will not compare to the diesel pound for pound towing as mine cannot tow a similar trailer up the same mountain and be able to maintain 45 mph. Its all in the torque.

As for the 392, towing capacity is limited due to heat issues. The 392 uses the JT grill but also a the big functional hood scoop to help cooling and there is a third cooling helper according to what I read. Put the functional hood scoop on the diesel JT and see if the tow capacity increases.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Looks like someone got the factory brake controller ;)

So about the "proven" diesel. This diesel has been used in the Ram eco diesel truck since at least 2014. I have a buddy that bought one new, he has 200K on it now and absolutely loves it.

I have another buddy that just bought the JT with the diesel and can haul his trailer at 75mph up some of the steepest interstates in AZ like there was nothing behind him. I know for a fact that the 3.6 will not compare to the diesel pound for pound towing as mine cannot tow a similar trailer up the same mountain and be able to maintain 45 mph. Its all in the torque.

As for the 392, towing capacity is limited due to heat issues. The 392 uses the JT grill but also a the big functional hood scoop to help cooling and there is a third cooling helper according to what I read. Put the functional hood scoop on the diesel JT and see if the tow capacity increases.
Pretty sure this a different variant of the eco diesel than the one that was introduced in the Ram in 2014.

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
In another thread, someone calculated it to be around 200,000 miles.
That 200K post is wrong - they are calculating in the 2K upcharge for the auto transmission as well. All but 1 article I've read keeps getting this wrong.
If someone chooses an auto transmission on the gas V6 then an upcharge applies too.

Sponsored

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Diesel Pluses:

- Gobs O Torque
- Better MPG*
- Cool. Very cool

Diesel Negatives:

- Higher initial cost
- Diesel fuel cost is typically more per gallon than regular gasoline (although not lately)
- Smaller fuel tank to make room for diesel fluid tank
- Higher maintenance costs
- Questionable reliability (??)
- Less towing capacity than Pentastar with Max Tow
- Heavier

* Although the MPG is higher, since the fuel tank is smaller, I don't know if the range per tank is greater with the diesel.

Just a few points to consider.
The only thing I can add to this is my experience with my 16 year old Jeep Liberty CRD blasting by 140K. In a nutshell its been the BEST Diesel and vehicle I've ever owned! I've come across tons of comments on all sorts of websites with people bashing the current EcoDiesel saying " Oh its just a Fiat. Fiat is junk. No thanks" These ignoramuses were passing judgement without any actual experience or facts. The VM Motori has a solid name.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
On cooling and a V8....itā€™s naturally aspirated. No hot turbos.

seems diesels just run hotter. 215 is nothing to a diesel it appears, but thatā€™s the high end for a gasser.

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I went diesel for the torque and as a toad to be towed behind my diesel pusher motorhome. I don't really care about MPG, but it was fun to see around 30 mpg going 70 mph. Only 3 weeks in but not disappointed in my choice yet. I am considering buying the extended warranty however due to several complaints I've seen on the reliability.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I have two buddy's that have diesel JLs, one Grand Cherokee and two with the same eco diesel in Ram trucks. They all say best motor of all. Diesels will out last a gas engine, nearly twice the torque of the 3.6 gas and better overall mileage. Sure it costs more up front but who cares if they want one.