• Total voters

Sinner05

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco ‘22 Gladiator
I’ve searched and searched about diesels and their issues are freaking me out. While I love the torque over the gas the appeal is losing its luster. I ordered a diesel last week but I’m about to change it to gas….

I’ve owned a ’12 JKU and it was ok but most recently I had the JL with the 4cyl and I loved it so going back to the 3.6 seems like I’m going backwards.

i will be going off-road and towing a boat or travel trailer occasionally and it seems shitty to buy a 50k jeep that can’t keep its cool. I will be adding lift, winch and 37s maybe 40s immediately so what it the best choice?

what percentage of diesel guys have issues?
Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Are you sure the issues you are finding are in regards to the Gen 3 diesel? I have had zero issues (knock on wood) with our diesel. We had a 2016 hard rock jku 3.6 and had quite a few issues. Issues with coil packs, roller rocker bearing (twice- and did t have any issues after switching to a 0w40…. Weird…) our 3.6 had 5.13 gears, 37” tires and a manual transmission averaged 9-10mpg city or highway…..
We have left the gladiator stock from a drive train perspective so far…. 22-23mpg in town and 26-28mpg on highway. Speeds under 68mph (1800 rpm) yeild 28 mpg… 68mph++ drops to 26.
Even at $6 per gallon it’s proving to be more affordable than my in-laws 3.6 averaging 14/16mpg and his 3rd visit to the dealer for coil pack issues….
the 3.6 had issues in the jku, now that compression has been increased and other tweaks, seems as if some issues are compounded and others are still present.
Stick with the diesel, mind the maintenance (drop your oil change to 5k intervals for short trips), use DEF platinum to minimize crystallization, and find a fuel additive to keep the fuel pump happy and I bet it visits the dealer less than your gas powered friends.
my internet $0.02

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I’ve searched and searched about diesels and their issues are freaking me out. While I love the torque over the gas the appeal is losing its luster. I ordered a diesel last week but I’m about to change it to gas….

I’ve owned a ’12 JKU and it was ok but most recently I had the JL with the 4cyl and I loved it so going back to the 3.6 seems like I’m going backwards.

i will be going off-road and towing a boat or travel trailer occasionally and it seems shitty to buy a 50k jeep that can’t keep its cool. I will be adding lift, winch and 37s maybe 40s immediately so what it the best choice?

what percentage of diesel guys have issues?
If you want to go for a ride in a diesel on 35s, hollar at me. I’m up in Carrollton.

No real issues. Any I e had were taken care of easily by Huffines Jeep in Plano. Their service department has dedicated folks for diesels.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
CerOf,
What issues have you gone through that required a dealer visit?

OP
OP

Sinner05

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco ‘22 Gladiator
If you want to go for a ride in a diesel on 35s, hollar at me. I’m up in Carrollton.

No real issues. Any I e had were taken care of easily by Huffines Jeep in Plano. Their service department has dedicated folks for diesels.
i might take you up on that! I’m in McKinney

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
CerOf,
What issues have you gone through that required a dealer visit?
I had a wire routed next to a bolt near the def fill area along the frame. It rubbed through and threw a code.
Easy fix.

Start stop battery failure. (This isn’t unique to diesels, happens to gassers)

Otherwise, nothing.

I’m just about to hit 20k miles. I think I’m around 19,8xx.

I’ve been in -10 to 110.

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just saw a post on the gladiator Facebook group. A person is stranded in the middle of the Rubicon trail because their Diesel gladiator's exhaust filter is 100% full and the vehicle has gone into limp mode. I was really considering the diesel power plant but there is so much more that can go wrong with those

I don't even know if you can get a tow outta there lol. That's going to be one expensive tow for a full exhaust filter.

Last edited:

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
There is already a diesel reliability poll in the diesel section.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Sport S diesel in Forney. 4300 miles and no issues. As high as 29.7 mpg on hwy and 24 mpg in town. Averaged 27.5mpg on round trip to Delaware.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
For gladiator offering of na v6 or diesel v6, there isn't much choice to begin with.

Na v6 is really gutless, diesel v6 at least can pull smoothly to 95mph without lacking of torque.

Whether it's reliable, its a toss up because it's FCA product, i expect issues.

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
They are reliable.
They are full of torque…

If your plan is towing a bigger trailer, or trailer with a lot of frontal area… get a ram.

No issues with mine. 20k

Derate has happened though when pushing it, and the limited up travel means you will bottom out in the front unless you lift it.

The diesel is worth the trade offs.

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
Bear in mind that all of Europe and many other places, have been running diesels for decades. I have 2x 3.0 Tdi's and 2 x 2.0 Tdi's in the family and only bought a petrol JTR because the diesel isn't available here. All my diesels have been mechanically faultless (less the stupid DSG gearboxes) and I REALLY miss the torque.

I'm not sure why the Ecodiesel seems to have gained a poor reputation in the States, perhaps too many short journeys and school runs. There is an alarming post on one of the Gladiator FB sites today about a JTD on the Rubicon trail that has gone into 'limp' mode because it needs a regen. How to recover that???

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
OP, do a search just on this Board. There are numerous accounts of power derate due to overheating. Usually a combination of towing, high temperature, and inclines.

There is a standing problem with ALL U.S.A. based diesels in their programming. The Feds set a level and the manufacturers were a little too stringent on adherence. The Feds have changed what is required and help is coming I believe next year.

Unfortunately the balls have been taken out of diesels in this country. With all the emissions crap that has been added the engines can't do what they're designed to.

Nuts and bolts, a diesel can and will outperform a gas engine in the towing and hauling department. A diesel will get better fuel mileage than gas engine. A diesel will cost you more on upkeep than a gas engine. A diesel will (but shouldn't, but a different argument) cost you more in fuel.

Most of the horror stories you hear about with the 3.0 diesel are due to one of the nanny emission systems screwing up, not the engine itself.

OP
OP

Sinner05

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco ‘22 Gladiator
Bear in mind that all of Europe and many other places, have been running diesels for decades. I have 2x 3.0 Tdi's and 2 x 2.0 Tdi's in the family and only bought a petrol JTR because the diesel isn't available here. All my diesels have been mechanically faultless (less the stupid DSG gearboxes) and I REALLY miss the torque.

I'm not sure why the Ecodiesel seems to have gained a poor reputation in the States, perhaps too many short journeys and school runs. There is an alarming post on one of the Gladiator FB sites today about a JTD on the Rubicon trail that has gone into 'limp' mode because it needs a regen. How to recover that???
That’s my concern, I know all cars have issue but this diesel shit is kinda random and there’s no fix.
Sponsored