Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
If your trying to showcase the brake controller why post a blurry picture of it? 😆
Why you bring so hard on the guy. I thought the picture was fine. Not everyone is a photographer. My wife has nerve issues and her hands shake. It's difficult for her to take a really clear picture. Just give people a break and don't be too hard on them.

Lin.
Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Why you bring so hard on the guy. I thought the picture was fine. Not everyone is a photographer. My wife has nerve issues and her hands shake. It's difficult for her to take a really clear picture. Just give people a break and don't be too hard on them.

Lin.
You meant to say "why you being so hard on the guy"
It was a joke, but not everyone gets my humor.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
So the time has come for me to look for a new Jeep and I have came to the choice of getting a JT over a JL because I've had a JL in the Past ik how it goes but now that the JT has 3.0 Diesel and a Gasser I have no idea what I want to do I need advice and some insight you guys have never let never let me down before. also the best place to get one at the best price I'm looking to make a choice by the end of this month or get my self an early Christmas gift.

OK OP it has been 4 months = did you buy anything yet? Inquiring minds want to know! lol

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I find it hard to believe the limiting factor on the diesel’s towing capacity is heat, if that is the case how are they able to cool a 450hp 392ci V8 in the same engine bay in the JL? Granted it cannot tow as much but it would still generate a lot more heat IMO.
On cooling and a V8....it’s naturally aspirated. No hot turbos.

seems diesels just run hotter. 215 is nothing to a diesel it appears, but that’s the high end for a gasser.
My guess too is that on average the diesel would be 'cool' enough - but throw in a regen cycle and doesn't that really crank out some heat? So maybe just cumulatively the diesel can't run cool enough for a higher rating.

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
You meant to say "why you being so hard on the guy"
It was a joke, but not everyone gets my humor.
I hate autocorrect and swiping can be a pain when two words are so close. Sorry if you were joking. Some people on here run a little hot and don't mind calling out people over little things.

Lin

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I've been on the fence for a long time... pros/cons....
Just spoke to a Jeep mechanic and he said honestly "no ecodiesel...JUNK!"

Reactions: Mac

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
A little birdie JEEP mechanic informed me the other day that the diesel is not trustworthy

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Looks like you have about a dozen more questions in your post? :LOL:
But going by the title, if you have a lot of short-distance/city driving I would stick with gas. If you have a longer commute &/or make frequent long drives &/or tow anything then consider the diesel.
Gasoline for me. I am used to it. I deal with diesels for work and they are great for that. But It is gas for me only, on my own time. I imagine if I owned the JT diesel at some point gasoline would find its way into the fuel tank, LOL.

Last edited:

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I've been on the fence for a long time... pros/cons....
Just spoke to a Jeep mechanic and he said honestly "no ecodiesel...JUNK!"
A little birdie JEEP mechanic informed me the other day that the diesel is not trustworthy
lol c'mon back and stir that pot again!

Honestly I don't think this version has even been around long enough for any mechanic to know its true nature yet. If they're already trashing it then I think they might be incapable of an honest opinion. Seriously, did they have any real gripes?

In other news, ever since I found out I never have to do an emissions test again if I get a diesel- I am 100% in.

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Both will have their pros and cons, first off, the 6 grand the diesel option will cost ya will buy a ton of gasoline. After testing a diesel against the max tow package, I went with the oil burner. Been in the seat of a Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 Cummings diesel for 21 years, so was willing to give the new 3 liter a shot. By the way the 3.0 is rated at 60 more HP & 22 lbs. more torque than the old 5.9, now will the new aluminium engineering hold up to the old school cast iron, time will tell.

To get that type of performance from the gas engine, you're likely to spend that 6 grand any way. Maintenance costs are more expensive, always have been. I think the gassers are catching up in the reliability as engineering and manufacturing technology has increased, but keep in mind that gas is a solvent and diesel is a lubricant.

The biggest kick to the teeth for ANYTHING with an internal combustion engine will be in the emissions systems, had an 08 Chevrolet Suburban that was cursed and it saddens me to say that now my new ecodiesel has shown that same face.

At 38 days of ownership and 1638 miles the check engine light fires up and shows a DEF problem, see dealer. Have read a few other threads where folks were seeing this same issue, falling short is the DEF fluid pump and heaters.

For now, it's just a bump in the road, it's under warranty and I wasn't off on a road trip. Would I buy one again, for now, yes I would. Be glad to get it back.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Been in the seat of a Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins diesel for 21 years, so was willing to give the new 3 liter a shot. By the way the 3.0 is rated at 60 more HP & 22 lbs. more torque than the old 5.9, now will the new aluminium engineering hold up to the old school cast iron, time will tell.
I used to want that old 5.9 so bad it's nuts. I did the same power comparison recently, ha. My dodge has the other 5.9 in it.

At 38 days of ownership and 1638 miles the check engine light fires up and shows a DEF problem, see dealer. Have read a few other threads where folks were seeing this same issue, falling short is the DEF fluid pump and heaters.

For now, it's just a bump in the road, it's under warranty and I wasn't off on a road trip. Would I buy one again, for now, yes I would. Be glad to get it back.
Yeah I just have to hope that between Jeep caring and the good folks on this forum, we'll all know the best way to keep the emissions system happy within the next year or two here. I imagine the engine itself is just fine.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Warning, thread drift: This is what a 5.9L Cummins diesel is capable of. Oh, and it’s mated to a 6 Speed manual transmission, and 4.56 gears.
Jeep Gladiator Guys HELP!!! Gas Or Diesel 2C0DC05A-D5D9-42BF-B43C-41CE5FE5CAFF

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I recommended to a friend that he test drive a JKU with the diesel, the 3.6 and the 2.0 turbo and he bought the diesel. Hands down the most powerful and best performing. I saw the comment about "no difference" between the 3.6 and the diesel when towing. Are you kidding, gobs of torque the 3.6 only wishes it had.

Drive both then decide and the 200,000 mile break even. Don't believe it. Besides the diesel could be the last Jeep you ever own, will outlast the gasser any day in how many miles it will go.

Then again, does anyone know why you can't order a diesel JT now? No longer on the Jeep build page.
JKU didn't come in a diesel-- think that you meant JL...
Sponsored