Sponsored

Has anyone disconnected the auto start stop on their Gladiator?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Why? I just can't figure out for the life of me why anyone likes their wallet getting thinner and thinner as your engine idles away precious fuel as useless fumes at $3.50 a gallon while you're just sitting there motionless.
Another clever way to disable the ESS is stay in an area where you keep your JT in 4LO, that always keeps me happier anyway.
Personally, I'm quite fond of money saving feature$ that don't affect power & performance.

Once again, This is just my opinion.
Lol. It's literally pennies. Happily I can afford pennies with no concern.
Sponsored

Caspien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 GC Trailhawk
Occupation
I.T. Architect
Its a little amusing to me, watching everyone get super upset about this. On my wife's Compass, the Stop/Start is a LOT worse than the Gladiator (when it actually stops), the Compass has a noticeable 2-3 second pause, AND right after we initially got her car, it actually STOPPED restarting.. so when I found out the Gladiator had it, I was actually annoyed. However, after driving it for a bit, it didn't bother me nearly as much as the wife's car.

That said, I've actually been looking into why my Auto-stop/start has actually STOPPED working, here. When we first got the JT, it was constantly turning on and off at stoplights.. now... it just stays running. No warning lights, no Tazer, nothing to disable it on my end. *shrug*

~ Casp

jludave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Easy free fix. Two plunger switches under the hood right side. Disconnect the outside one. Problem solved
First, this will cause a warning light on the dash to stay on. Second, doing this will disable remote start.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I hear ya, but I embrace technology when its dependable. And since I donā€™t drive much in town, I embrace the tactical silence when I stop in the middle of the outdoors as well. Glad you enjoy your JT, and I hope to cross paths someday on the trails. Iā€™ll buy you a beer with the gas money I save from my engine not idling. Ha ha. Happy trails.
lol very fair. I'll take you up on that beer! I know my opinion is just that and nothing more. I try to embrace it as well, I just don't like this one, and I'm surprised a lot of people on here ( not directing at you, you seem quite reasonable) don't comprehend others might feel differently without malice.

Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I've actually always tell the dealer to remove their advertisements before I sign the papers. It's funny because they say 'they will in detail' and I reply that I'm not signing a thing until I see it removed.....unless you're willing to pay me monthly for advertising.
The first mod I did was replacing the 1980s style radio antenna.
My vehicle was actually a 'pass through' which originated from another dealer across state - and the delivering dealer actually had the balls to remove the originating dealers' decal and install their own šŸ˜

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Lol. It's literally pennies. Happily I can afford pennies with no concern.
For me, I simply refuse to believe the starter/wiring/battery are 'beefed up' to compensate for the tens of thousands of NEEDLESS starts ESS causes.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I didnā€™t ask for a knee-jerk reaction as in, ā€œDifferent strokes for different folks.ā€
Iā€™m genuinely curious why he doesnā€™t like the ESS.

Kevin
I think it depends on how you use your vehicle. Those of us who do not daily drive their JT's, or sit in traffic for any amount of time, find it annoying, and we can just hit the button, but often forget and are not expecting it when it happens. If you do drive in stop/go traffic, then maybe it is useful to you. AS others have said, it should have been an option.

Bullhead

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chrysler MV Pinnacle, 2021 Jeep JT Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Step 1: Push the Stop/Start button.
Step 2: Push the ESS button.

What's the big frakking deal? I've done it for 3 1/2 years and don't let it irritate me because I'm able to perform Step 2 (see above) quite easily.

Step 2 is free, no aftermarket parts!

I'm not sure how this can even rank a forum discussion.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer

What's the big frakking deal? I've done it for 3 1/2 years and don't let it irritate me because I'm able to perform Step 2 (see above) quite easily.

Yes, that is exactly the way to go. The weird thing about that is I have finally gotten used to it in my JT, and if I don't remember to hit it at start up (getting trained) I will before I hit the first stop sign at the end of the road. But now, when I drive some other vehicle that doesn't have it, I'm like inverse Pavlov's dog looking for the stupid button.

Sponsored

TxRed208

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport (max tow)
I want to say I'll just hit the button to disable every time (Not a fan) but I'm seriously considering that module. I am coming from a 1998 Chevrolet that I had for 19 years so this stuff is pretty foreign to me!

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)

I'm not sure anyone said it was a "big deal", but it is easy to forget. And if you drive a manual it's a little triggering when the engine 'dies' as you think you left it in gear at a stop light. It's a learning curve to make sure to do step 2, and I'm certainly trying, but I sometimes still forget. It would be nicer if it was just an option or just always stayed off after I hit the button. It's kind of annoying when you stop and get gas and forget to hit it again.

Deleted member 30519

I'm not sure anyone said it was a "big deal", but it is easy to forget. And if you drive a manual it's a little triggering when the engine 'dies' as you think you left it in gear at a stop light. It's a learning curve to make sure to do step 2, and I'm certainly trying, but I sometimes still forget. It would be nicer if it was just an option or just always stayed off after I hit the button. It's kind of annoying when you stop and get gas and forget to hit it again.
Lol Yeah, the stopping for gas gets me every time. I'm gonna get a tazer mini soon and disable the damn thing for good.
Sponsored