Sponsored

Has anyone disconnected the auto start stop on their Gladiator?

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
TASER LIGHT WILL DEACTIVATE. GOT USED TO IT ON MY JL HOWEVER I ADDED AN AMPLIFIER TO THE JT AND EVERYTIME IT WOULD CUT OFF OR ON I WOULD LOOSE SOUND OUT OF THE SPEAKERS IT GOT ANNOYING VERY FAST. WITH THE TASER I WAS ALSO ABLE TO CHANGE MY TIRE SIZE, DISCONNECT SEATBELT CHIME (CAN BE DONE WITHOUT ANY MOD), ACTIVATE MY AUX SWITCHES AND A FEW OTHER MODS.
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US!?!?! :giggle:
Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
interesting how many decided to not answer the op question directly, instead deciding to offer their own "opinions" and "solutions"

Fundamental Jeepster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
3 things everyone needs to do to make JL or JT vehicle friendly to drive. #1, Install a dual battery system from Genesis and eliminate that little battery in the hole. #2, Get a TAZER MINI and eliminate the stupid ESS system by giving the selector switch a memory so you don't have to keep using it. #3, Get a short seat belt extender and leave it in place. This will let you open the door and look behind you when your backing up or for any other purpose. After a while you won't even notice it's there. Now you can drive your Jeep the way it was meant to be driven.
For the time and money you put into not having to push a button, you can simply push the disengage button and spend the money you save for a lot better upgrades. Jeeps were meant to be driven on the trail, a place where you don't open your door and look behind yourself.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I haven't done this as I'm trying to force myself to always disable it after starting, but I will still sometimes forget and may end up doing this.
I'm also in the 'hate' boat of auto start/stop. I wish this would have been an option so I didn't have to pay for it. Or, not as ideal, but my m235i has where once you disable it with the button, it always stays disabled. It will re-enable if you change the drive mode to "Economy" (or whatever it's called), but I never drive in that mode.
I agree with the person above who mentioned the environmental cost of creating this. Often times people don't calculate the full cost of something and just chock up the outcome as 'better for the environment'. There is always the development cost and added hardware that needs to be calculated. Instead we just look at the outcome. Battery technology is certainly guilty of this (Congo is getting trashed).

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like ESS, but I don't hate it. It is designed to achieve a specific government mandated outcome. Due to that mandate, Jeep cannot provide an option to keep it turned off. It is one of those things we have to live with to continue driving our aerodynamic bricks. If you want a change, contact your elected representatives.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Why? I just can't figure out for the life of me why anyone likes their wallet getting thinner and thinner as your engine idles away precious fuel as useless fumes at $3.50 a gallon while you're just sitting there motionless.
Another clever way to disable the ESS is stay in an area where you keep your JT in 4LO, that always keeps me happier anyway.
Personally, I'm quite fond of money saving feature$ that don't affect power & performance.

Once again, This is just my opinion.

Last edited:

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Actually I never thought about the diesels. I was under the impression that diesels run better if left running especially in cold weather. All the truck drivers leave their rigs running summer or winter while they make a stop at the at the roadside rests. I leave my tractor running while I'm off it working, same with my Zero-turn mower. I know they are harder to start when cold so for the tractor I have a magnetic heat strip on the oil pan.

Also if you are fond of saving money, why would you buy a jeep?

Just my opinion like all the other opinions that answer the OP's question.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Why? I just can't figure out for the life of me why anyone likes their wallet getting thinner and thinner as your engine idles away precious fuel as useless fumes at $3.50 a gallon while you're just sitting there motionless.
Another clever way to disable the ESS is stay in an area where you keep your JT in 4LO, that always keeps me happier anyway.
Personally, I'm quite fond of money saving feature$ that don't affect power & performance.

Once again, This is just my opinion.
If I am pinching pennies so much that I need to save the gas from stoplight idling, then I need to change something else in my life. I’d rather stay comfortable at the light than have those fractions of a cent daily. If fuel economy really mattered to you then your driving style effects fuel economy far more than idling. Hope your always in the slow lane. I also agree with the comment above that if gas really matters to you then you bought the wrong vehicle. If I wanted to hyper mile I would have bought a Prius.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
If I am pinching pennies so much that I need to save the gas from stoplight idling, then I need to change something else in my life. I’d rather stay comfortable at the light than have those fractions of a cent daily. If fuel economy really mattered to you then your driving style effects fuel economy far more than idling. Hope your always in the slow lane. I also agree with the comment above that if gas really matters to you then you bought the wrong vehicle. If I wanted to hyper mile I would have bought a Prius.
I hear ya, but I embrace technology when its dependable. And since I don’t drive much in town, I embrace the tactical silence when I stop in the middle of the outdoors as well. Glad you enjoy your JT, and I hope to cross paths someday on the trails. I’ll buy you a beer with the gas money I save from my engine not idling. Ha ha. Happy trails.

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I do not like the ESS. Hitting the button used to be annoying until I read a thread where someone posted that they yell 'Avengers Assemble' and hit the button. Now, I smile and think Avengers when I hit the button.
Someone needs to sell little colored Avengers stickers for that switch on this forum, they would make a killing. Sheet of stickers $2.00 sold for $1 each.....

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Upon delivery, first mod was to remove the dealer's advertisement from the tailgate, second was installing AutostopESS.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Upon delivery, first mod was to remove the dealer's advertisement from the tailgate, second was installing AutostopESS.
I've actually always tell the dealer to remove their advertisements before I sign the papers. It's funny because they say 'they will in detail' and I reply that I'm not signing a thing until I see it removed.....unless you're willing to pay me monthly for advertising.
The first mod I did was replacing the 1980s style radio antenna.

drmikeq

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Chiropractor
Easy free fix. Two plunger switches under the hood right side. Disconnect the outside one. Problem solved

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I have not disabled the ESS.

Maybe I’m just a purist, but ESS has been a part of every JT—every AMERICAN MADE Jeep pickup truck—I’ve ever owned.

And if the unionized bald eagles working at Uncle Sam’s Toledo assembly plant decided to stick it to the foreign Oil Barons who’ve been fleecing our great American democracy for decades, by saving those precious hydrocarbons at every stoplight, then I will continue to automatically shutoff my engine, take off my cap, and shed a single powerful tear at every intersection while a choir of electric guitars blast our nation’s anthem in the otherwise poetic silence of an ESS’d pentastar.

Some of us hate ESS, some of us love A M E R I C A and her traditions—like JT’s with ESS.

Every time ESS dings, we know freedom rings!

Sarcasm—I should probably specific this…;)
Sponsored