Sponsored

Has this ever happened to you (light reactions on lifted Jeep)

KJ Jeeper

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Liberty
Occupation
Forestry
I get flashed and I don’t even have a lift. It’s just the LeDs are so bright I guess.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard stories how police used to cite people for not adjusting your lights after a lift.
Rightly so. They blind other drivers. It's rude and inconsiderate. Doesn't take much of a change to mess with the aim of headlights.
Too bad there's not a mandatory headlight aiming law.

I have a factory setup and still get flashed by others all the time.
Check out danielsternlighting - like he says, factory means nothing. They make them "close enough".

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Is there a TSB on light alignment from factory, or is it more of a theory?
No TSB, but it's a fact that some Gladiator's came with misaligned headlights.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
So damn, let’s make a list here. Upon pick up, before ever leaving the dealers lot I have to adjust tire pressure, push in all of the fuses, check headlight alignment, what all else?
This is a serious question. Maybe there’s already a thread for “before you drive off”. Just doing this on the fly.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Most vehicles, not just Jeeps. Most - American vehicles.

This is from danielsternlighting.com http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

>>But in North America most people don't know or care much about lamp aim, figuring—very incorrectly—that if they're not getting flashed at night the lamps are OK. Most states and provinces long ago stopped requiring periodic aim checks. The few remaining areas mostly use an unreasonably sloppy go/no-go standard that can only catch vehicles with lights pointing down on the bumper or up in the trees.

U.S. and Canadian Federal law doesn't require new vehicles to come with the lamps correctly aimed, so even a brand-new car doesn't necessarily have the lights pointing where they should. It's such a problem that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety checks, but doesn't adjust the aim of the headlamps on cars they test. They do it this way because most new cars don't get the aim corrected before delivery, and since poor aim worsens the headlight performance rating, this test-as-received policy of IIHS is an effort to push automakers and dealers to do a better job.

So "close enough" really isn't good enough; make the effort to get the lamps aimed carefully and correctly, very preferably with an optical aiming machine. That's a device that looks a bit like a TV camera. It gets wheeled in front of each headlamp on your vehicle, adjusted to height, and the optics within the machine permit highly precise visual aim checking and adjustment—definitely the most accurate way to aim lamps.<<

In other words, if your car was made or prepped in the USA, expect the headlight aim to be WRONG.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I lifted my jeep a couple weeks ago and put bigger tires on. Now when I drive at night, many drivers in the oncoming lane will flash their bright lights at me, as if giving a warning that my brights are on.

My brights are never on with this happens, and I always flash them my brights to show it. Am I now at a height that makes people think I'm driving with the bright lights on? Has this happened to anyone out there after a lift?

They're driving me crazy... and it's a short drive. :)
Yes. Obviously you’ve increased The height of the vehicle commensurately changing where your beams are pointing. It’s not rocket surgery. You’re blinding oncoming traffic. Readjust your beams. It’s super simple to do.

JTWAVE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Stock Mojave with LED’s. I get flashed all of the time. Had a 4Runner with a 3 inch lift and (almost) 33’s. Never got flashed from the front, but I knew I was pissing off people with the lights barreling into the back window of the cars in front of me. Tried fixing it multiple times.
Sponsored