Sponsored

Headlight Upgrade for Sport S W/ Max Tow

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I could use some help with a headlight upgrade. I have a 2020 Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow. I really like it, but sheesh, the headlights are like something stolen from a '42 Hudson. I was in a somewhat remote area after dark recently and I couldn't even tell the difference between the low-beams and high-beams.

I've been doing research, but the more I read, the more confused I become. Here are some guidelines as to what I'm looking for:

- Plug-in. I don't want to splice any wires

- Bolt-in. I don't want to do any cutting

- No halos. I just don't like them

- Light pattern is critical. I want something high quality with a really good pattern

- No flickering. I'm willing to pay more to avoid flickering headlights

- Brightness must be good, but not necessarily the highest numbers

I've seen reference to the Jeep factory LED headlights being very good. Is it possible to buy and install them on my JT? If so, what part number, where do I buy them and what's the price range?

The KC Gravity Pro headlights look really spiffy. I'm liking what I read and see, but the price is a bit painful. Is this what I have to spend for good-quality headlights that will plug-in and bolt-in? If that's the case, OK. I just don't want to spend $800 if I don't have to.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Following. Been lurking on the side with the same goal, also not wanting to spend close to $1k for lights, but I donā€™t want just a bulb replacement either. Playing a long waiting game reading othersā€™ experiences.

I share the same sentiment regarding halogen high setting- I kept thinking the setting wasnā€™t working because I couldnā€™t tell if the light changed LOL

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
There are a couple of other threads on here where guys have used plug and play bulbs. Iā€™m not well versed in headlights but am certain the stock lights are very difficult to see with. Iā€™m curious why not just get new bulbs? Why the whole enclosure? im curious about the pros and cons.
thanks in advance

Sponsored

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
I upgraded my Rubicon factory headlights and foglights to SV.4 LED bulbs from Headlight Revolution. Plug and play (includes necessary driver/module), no issues so far after a month. Huge improvement over stock. Still need to figure out something simple for my DRL.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
The reflectors are designed for halogen bulbs. LED bulbs are much brighter and if not designed for that particular reflector you can blind oncoming vehicles. Not a good thing for either driver. On my gladiator I went with quake LED headlights. But you donā€™t like halos. For what itā€™s worth they are better than stock but probably not the best or brightest. But they are very expensive and they donā€™t blind anybody so Iā€™m happy. However I bought LED bulb replacements For my 2020 Chevy Silverado from xenon pro. They are way better than stock and they donā€™t Flickr and they donā€™t find anybody. Their customer service is top notch. I would highly recommend them but Iā€™m sure there are others out there that make a replacement bulb that would work. Even these were $300! Everybody complains about the gladiator not having LED lights standard for how much they cost but I paid a lot more for my Chevy and still didnā€™t get LED lights. Itā€™s stupid of all the safety features they put on these vehicles LED headlights should be standard because you got to see where youā€™re going!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There are a couple of other threads on here where guys have used plug and play bulbs. Iā€™m not well versed in headlights but am certain the stock lights are very difficult to see with. Iā€™m curious why not just get new bulbs? Why the whole enclosure? im curious about the pros and cons.
thanks in advance
Because the enclosure is made for the specific light put out by a given bulb. LED light output is drastically different, thus, a different enslosure. Only those that don't know better swap out only bulbs. Experts swap the whole thing and do it right.
See Danielsternlighting for details. But basically, LED is far more directional and needs different enclosures to get the maximum effect.
And don't go by the BS in marketing online or catalogs - what are they doing? Trying to sell products and make money so of course they'll tell you something to make a sale - yes, put our LED in any housing, save money! Bingo - just made another sale.
For OPTIMUM results, one should always change the whole thing and that's been talked about for YEARS in all sorts of forums - Ford, Chevy, Jeep of ALL sorts (including the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee places) and other sites.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, based on everything I've read and heard, replacing the lamps with LED lamps is not a good option. Many of them flicker and none of them provide a good pattern.

What really puzzles me is just how useless the factory headlights are. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. I installed basic, halogen headlights from the local parts store and they are far superior to my Gladiator headlights.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The factory headlight kit is available direct from Mopar, from any dealer, or from a multitude of resellers.
https://store.mopar.com/accessories...ies-headlamps/led_head_lights_82215136AE.html

I have the factory LED lights. If I did not, I would probably get the KC lights.
https://www.kchilites.com/gravity-led-pro-jeep-jl-jt-7-headlight-pair-pack-system-dot-compliant.html
Thanks. That link for the KC headlights is for 7-inch. Is that correct, or are the factory lights actually 9"? Sorry for the confusion, but based on my experience, actually measuring such things isn't always helpful. I can get an accurate measurement of something which often doesn't match the advertised size. (Like how long has it been since a 2x4 stud actually measured 2" x 4"?)

Looks like the KC Gravity pro is a good option. Apparently, they are a little better than the Mopar LED headlights and a little less expensive as well.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, based on everything I've read and heard, replacing the lamps with LED lamps is not a good option. Many of them flicker and none of them provide a good pattern.

What really puzzles me is just how useless the factory headlights are. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. I installed basic, halogen headlights from the local parts store and they are far superior to my Gladiator headlights.
yep beyond useless honestly. So bad worse I have ever seen.

Noticed you are from CO one thing to take into account is snow. The LEDs run cool enough that they will not melt snow/ice. Oracle is working on something for that if I remember right from a post a while ago.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Led bulbs work well, there are a couple threads on the led replacement bulbs, I have them and they made a big difference, 100 plug and play no flicker.

JeffInFLA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input.

Check out Oracle Lights... I just swapped out my halogens with their hi-output LEDs - after a minor adjustment, Iā€™m happy with them. The do have a pretty nice Bi-LED setup which has a halo but you wouldnā€™t have to wire it up.

Iā€™ll probably end up with the Bi-LEDs sooner or later, but Iā€™m happy with my LED swap.

OP
OP
Klutch

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out Oracle Lights... I just swapped out my halogens with their hi-output LEDs - after a minor adjustment, Iā€™m happy with them. The do have a pretty nice Bi-LED setup which has a halo but you wouldnā€™t have to wire it up.

Iā€™ll probably end up with the Bi-LEDs sooner or later, but Iā€™m happy with my LED swap.
Thanks. I did look at the Oracle headlights and I'm not really a fan. Nothing wrong with them. Just not my thing.

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
I too have a max tow. I have JW Speaker 8700 evo2 saved from my JK, same with the fog lights. No flicker and I even removed the anti flicker harness because it wouldnā€™t work with the oem harness unless u buy an adapter.

No flicker, and no bulb out message. Once I added the flashcal to change settings, I changed the headlights to led setting just because.

The fog lights though need resistors or they will not work.

There is a slight gap to the grill BUT, I added spacers to fill in the gap.

562C2F2B-5377-4AD6-B76E-46F57A3CF042.jpeg

E37FC482-8780-40D4-BC61-81E1139FABBD.jpeg

CE0D84D6-B3C5-4327-988D-333B7D017531.jpeg
Sponsored