Sponsored

Help a middle-aged Marine with your opinion

Opinion needed for these grab handles. Help a Marine out.

• Total voters

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Please leave a comment after the vote if you don't mind.
I like the colors but I'm partial to NAVY blue and gold. The one piece of advice I'd offer, and it's not far removed from what others have said, you should shorten the distance to the roll bar.

I suggest this for a different reason than others have said. I have a different style of roll bar grab handles. While I have never really hit my head on them getting in or out of the Jeep, here is what I notice and annoys the bejesus out of me: when I am on trail, the plastic handles smack against the windows when the Jeep sways to and fro. They obviously aren't going to break the window but everytime one of them hits the window, I think I've run too close to a tree or a rock wall. It freaks me out a little when it happens and I need to do something different with them.

So make sure the length of hang is enough to be able to reach a hand into but not so long that it can reach the window.
Sponsored

OP
OP
USMC_1Wire6337

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
I like the colors but I'm partial to NAVY blue and gold. The one piece of advice I'd offer, and it's not far removed from what others have said, you should shorten the distance to the roll bar.

I suggest this for a different reason than others have said. I have a different style of roll bar grab handles. While I have never really hit my head on them getting in or out of the Jeep, here is what I notice and annoys the bejesus out of me: when I am on trail, the plastic handles smack against the windows when the Jeep sways to and fro. They obviously aren't going to break the window but everytime one of them hits the window, I think I've run too close to a tree or a rock wall. It freaks me out a little when it happens and I need to do something different with them.

So make sure the length of hang is enough to be able to reach a hand into but not so long that it can reach the window.
That would freak me out, too. Great advice. I know the Marines are a Department of the Navy, but seeing as we are the men's department, I think I will keep the red.... 😇

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
I was thinking of mounting like this in some way, but was worried about interference with shades or when I can get the RR Voyager soft top. Do you notice any clearance issues with the Sunrider?
No issues with clearance with the Sunrider, open or closed. Also really haven't had any issues getting in or out of the truck with them there. There is a lot of space around the roll bar and Sunrider in spots.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
good to go!

Signed,
older Jarhead

OP
OP
USMC_1Wire6337

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Thanks everyone! I am going to keep the colors, but I found another pattern that will make a wider handle. I am also going to play around with making a wrap for the roll bar (like @Chocolyle showed) instead of the screws.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone! I am going to keep the colors, but I found another pattern that will make a wider handle. I am also going to play around with making a wrap for the roll bar (like @Chocolyle showed) instead of the screws.
Good choice, I wouldn't want depend on the 2 screws holding. You could make one to loop around the roll bar. I just hooked soft shackles around mine. Easy no hunting for one then too. Good choice on colors for your truck. Old Army infantryman here. So my choice would be different.

kb5zcr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I spent 4 yrs in the Regular Army so of course the color of the Jeep I bought was Tank (I spent a lot of time in tanks). My jeeps color is the only subtle clue that I was in the military. Most would not make the connection, which is just how I like it.

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I would make it thicker (like a bull rigging). It would look fantastic if it looked a bit overengineered. Also, instead of drop down, do you think it would stay in place if the handle faced inward?

OP
OP
USMC_1Wire6337

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I would make it thicker (like a bull rigging). It would look fantastic if it looked a bit overengineered. Also, instead of drop down, do you think it would stay in place if the handle faced inward?
I'm not sure. I would have to dig around to see where/how they would mount. That is an interesting idea though.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I am trying my hand at making some paracord grab handles. Using some nostalgic USMC colors (green, red and gold) with a nod to my Gobi. This is just a prototype to see about the color combo. I know they probably hang down too far. So what do you all think about the design and color combo? Please leave a comment after the vote if you don't mind.

20220808_202441.jpg

20220808_202041.jpg

20220808_202034.jpg
I have the OEM ones and use them all the time to get into my lifted Jeep. Red for Rubicon.

OLLLLLD Marine

Sponsored

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
The color is neat, reminds of these seats a friends mother had in her jeep when I was growing up.

Ive never personally understood why folks get these handles since the JT comes with grab handles already molded into the A pillar. But with that in mind I suppose it couldn't hurt to have a set of low profile handles on the roll bar. Id maybe keep them hanging MUCH closer to the bar, nearly in contact with it. That way a user can still get their hands in there to grab it, but it doesn't whack them in the head every time they get in and out.
Many people use these more for getting bumped around when inside the Jeep...The handles on the A-pillar seem to be better for getting in. I find many people look for something to hang onto when I drive, these do the job better than the A-pillar during my trail rage.

OP
OP
USMC_1Wire6337

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Get these instead and never look back …… tough little bastards ….perfect for a Marine.

You will thank me for turning you onto them.

Jeep Gladiator Help a middle-aged Marine with your opinion 9B9CC128-CE80-4CCC-9A7F-A9EC5AAA2F9B
Thanks for the recommendation! I was hoping for little more of a custom/personalized look. I will definitely look into these if I don't figure it out.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Looks good man
Sponsored