Help. Soft top or Sunrider??

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I LOVE having the top off the Gladiator (and my Wranglers prior).

I have a hard top now but I’m picking up a soft top tomorrow - still in the box- I bought on FB.

However, the more I read about the soft top the more I don’t like. You have to take out the window instead of rolling. You can’t only fold back partially.

Am I better off selling the soft top and buying the Hard top sunrider?

Then again, is that a $900 improvement over just using the freedom panels?

Has anyone here used both?

Please help
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sunrider, personally...

I plan on ordering one soon.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
I want a sunrider also but I just can’t see $900 for something that takes me less than 2 mins to do....and with the truck I put them in the bag in the bed

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have both the Hard top and Soft top. I put the soft top on for the first time at 7K miles or so. It has been on for the last 1000 miles and we love it. I think the soft top is outstanding ! Fits well, high quality, easy to take on or off, not noisy.... Mostly, I leave the rear window and rear sides in, but, it is easy to take them off and store them into the bag. I even like the way it looks when it is open. Not sure when I will put the hard top back on, but, it will not be for a long time.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
I was thinking a soft top wouldn’t cost much different than a sunrider...how much are they?

Sponsored

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
If the Sunrider is now $900, they have raised the price. I paid $799 for my black twill Sunrider last June...and it was worth every penny. If you want the top open for backseat passengers, the soft top will be the better option. I have never had back seats in any of my Jeeps so the Sunrider is perfect.

I can open or close the Sunrider in less than 5 seconds (I've timed it) and I don't have to take up any storage space with the bulky Freedom tops or worry about them being damaged bouncing around on trails. I can pull to the side of the road and open (or close) the top without getting out of the driver's seat...though I usually install the velcro straps that secure it in the open position which requires the tremendous effort of getting out of the Jeep and spending another 15 seconds wrapping the straps around the Sunrider frame. The Sunrider is also extremely easy to remove or re-install when you want to switch back to the Freedom panels during the winter months.

If you don't need the top open over the back seats, the Sunrider is a better and much cheaper option than buying a full soft top. And keeping the hard top portion on the back is arguably more secure than having a full soft top.

OP
OP
TopOff

TopOff

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I want a sunrider also but I just can’t see $900 for something that takes me less than 2 mins to do....and with the truck I put them in the bag in the bed
I have both the Hard top and Soft top. I put the soft top on for the first time at 7K miles or so. It has been on for the last 1000 miles and we love it. I think the soft top is outstanding ! Fits well, high quality, easy to take on or off, not noisy.... Mostly, I leave the rear window and rear sides in, but, it is easy to take them off and store them into the bag. I even like the way it looks when it is open. Not sure when I will put the hard top back on, but, it will not be for a long time.
These were very helpful. I think the cost difference between what I paid for the new soft top… $1400 on Facebook marketplace… Versus the $900+ it will cost me for the sunrider… I’m better off just keeping the soft top. I think I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Thank you for the help!

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely keep the soft top, I have it and love it. One of the biggest advantages for me is that it flips back in 10 seconds, so perfect for that drive to or from work or short trip around town. They did give you straps, and supposedly you can roll the rear window, Quadratec shows it in their soft top install video. that being said, I wouldn't because it usually just ends up marking and scratching up the window. I usually just flip it back and leave the window alone for the short trips, and pull the window and corners for extended stuff. That being said, if you want the whole top off, it's only 4 bolts and like 5 minutes to pull everything.

The other thing I like about the soft top is that it opens over both rows, so my kids get to enjoy it as well. I was fortunate, I found my soft top for $1000 last fall, which made the price difference negligible at best.

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
Hey Guys,
We have 2 fabric options available here.
The Twill is currently $849.99.
The Black Diamond is currently $749.99 with a $100 mail-in rebate bringing it to $649.99 until the end of the month.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lee

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Whats the difference between twill and the other one. I'm not a huge fan of twill. It looks like itchy material to me.
Also, is there no rebate for the twill?

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Whats the difference between twill and the other one. I'm not a huge fan of twill. It looks like itchy material to me.
Also, is there no rebate for the twill?
The Twill is the higher end material. Better insulation, easier to clean, deeper black, longer warranty.
There is no rebate for the Twill, correct.

The rebate for the Black Diamond Sunrider for Hardtop is good through this weekend only before it expires.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've had both fabrics. I prefer the Twill. It is a deeper, more attractive black and a more supple material. The only minor issue I have with the Twill is that the outer fabric absorbs water and you get more of that annoying drip into the cabin when you open a door...until the fabric drains. It doesn't rain much here, so the only time I get the drips is when I wash the vehicle, and I usually use the chamois to pull the water out of the Sunrider fabric as I'm drying the rest of the Jeep.

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
The Twill is the higher end material. Better insulation, easier to clean, deeper black, longer warranty.
There is no rebate for the Twill, correct.

The rebate for the Black Diamond Sunrider for Hardtop is good through this weekend only before it expires.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Thanks.
Why so damn expensive? I could buy a small child for that price.
Any idea when there will be a sale?

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Thanks.
Why so damn expensive? I could buy a small child for that price.
Any idea when there will be a sale?
Then buy the small child and have him/her remove and re-install the Freedom Panels for you. Or you could just pick up some sticks and a plastic tarp and make your own Sunrider.

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
Then buy the small child and have him/her remove and re-install the Freedom Panels for you. Or you could just pick up some sticks and a plastic tarp and make your own Sunrider.
Yeah, or I could wait for a sale.
The kids always wind up having hidden. Costs
Sponsored

Last edited: