Sponsored

Help Testing Oracle Tail Lights

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Hi everyone-

So I'm having a bit of an issue with my Oracle tail lights. No, this is not a "bash Oracle" thread and I don't want it to turn into one. I am good with electronics and repairing them. The lights are also over a year old and out of warranty anyway. My goal here is to understand, replicate, and repair.

When off, there's no problem with the lights. The brakes and turn signals work perfectly fine and when not in use they're off, no issues there.

The issue appears to be with the running lights on. In the first photo, you can see how the passenger light is brighter than the driver light. It's not at 100% brightness, but it's significantly brighter.

The second photo shows with the brakes/turns on, and both lights are on evenly as expected. It's not easy to see in the photos, but yes the passenger light is just a bit brighter than it was in the first photo. Also, when the running lights are on and the passenger turn signal is activated, the passenger light does blink ever so slightly. So the issue is really just that the running lights on that side are too bright.

1675974151407.png

1675974133882.png

I took off the lights last week and attempted some bench testing with the hopes of reverse engineering a fix. I thought it would be straight-forward: Apply 12v to the pins in the connector to identify which is brake/turn and which is running, test them under various situations, and then go from there. But on both lights, no matter which wire I supply +12v to, they both go to 100% intensity. Similarly, if I test the truck side of the tail light connectors, it appears as though they supply 12v as well for each wire. Granted I don't have my nice meter with me, but I can't tell the difference as it sits now. I can't figure out how to get just the running light on the bench.

Admittedly I might be overlooking something or have skipped a step in my testing and troubleshooting so far. Does anyone have any insight that could help me out with bench testing and eventual repair of the light?
Same thing just happened to me. Glad this thread is here and that I remembered reading it.

Hopefully your issue and previous interaction with them makes it clearer for them in my case.

Thanks
Sponsored

BigDaddy G

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
CEO of Retirement at The Patch life
This is a great thread trying to walk through this issue. I am at the same point with the passenger side. Switching from side to side shows it's the light not the truck. I have e mailed Oracle support (waiting on a reply). I don't think it's a major issue but I took, don't want drop another $400 for an easy fix. Any help from Oracle support here will be greatly appreciated.

BigDaddy G

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Up date to the above comment..... I got through to Oracle through the service chat and they were fantastic. Walked through the issue and indeed it was the light. They are correcting it right away. This type of service after the sale is what sets them apart.

MacTG

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have the same issue as well, passenger side taillight. I am also out of the stated 1 yr warranty period but have reached out to support. I will update when I hear back from them.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue as well, passenger side taillight. I am also out of the stated 1 yr warranty period but have reached out to support. I will update when I hear back from them.
My 4th passenger side light just died on me yesterday. I'm going to reach out to them but the date code on the light is 8/2022, so it probably won't be covered. I ended up putting the factory halogens back in.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
They replaced mine as soon a I provided the order number and date stamp on the tail light - I was also out of Warranty period.

BigDaddy G

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I told them upfront that I had them over 18 months and they wanted a picture or video and a picture of the manufacturing stamp on the back of the light. Got a brand new light unit and it works great.

MacTG

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Update to my issue. Sent them the date code and a quick video showing the light issue. Even after having them 20 months they are sending a replacement light to me. Top notch service!

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Manager
Just so everyone is aware, @sharpsicle & I have been communicating via PM. Got him sorted as promised.
Maybe you can sort mine out as well. Purchased March of last year, LED’s are dying, just like the last set. Moisture seems to be the problem once again. Can you help?

Jeep Gladiator Help Testing Oracle Tail Lights IMG_0634
Jeep Gladiator Help Testing Oracle Tail Lights IMG_0635

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler JL, Bronco, RAM TRX
Maybe you can sort mine out as well. Purchased March of last year, LED’s are dying, just like the last set. Moisture seems to be the problem once again. Can you help?

Please take a moment to fill out our online warranty request here: https://www.oraclelights.com/RMA and someone from our customer service department will be in contact with you shortly. Thank you!

Sponsored

Kintama40

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Manager

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)