How do you guys carry your kayaks?

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
I have EZ Rec Rack and it was used on my Ram and once my RLD canopy arrives, I’ll mount the base on it. Works as advertised
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
RSI cap with Yakima rail mounts with removable control towers, have boat loader bars in both bars on passenger side to help load and also to allow to extend out a bit to carry wide kayaks. …..Jack
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 2DE54FD2-63F8-4085-A466-90E0230DA4CC
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? B072A4C5-AD16-421D-A353-EF418F6665AD
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 7E519B01-BFCF-402D-B4CA-BD37D81F19CC

MojaveAZ2020

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Training Manager
That is an awesome little trailer. If I didn't already have an 8 utility trailer to carry my yak in, I would look into this.
Yeah...I love it. Super practical and easy to load/unload. It is versatile, allowing for many different configs as well as being able to put a tent on it if you want. I little pricey but worth it in my book for the long range and versatility.

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR, 2017 VW Golf R
Looks like the best probably most expensive option to me. Not on a Gladiator. But with a rack that would go higher than the cab I bet it would work nicely.

I have a Hullavator I used on my JLUR that I will install on a Yakima Overhaul when I get my JT. I had bought it used, but would buy it new if I now had to do so. It is expensive, but great for people such as me who love kayaking, have relatively heavy kayaks, and have had previous back surgery due to an injury.

Sponsored

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a Hullavator I used on my JLUR that I will install on a Yakima Overhaul when I get my JT. I had bought it used, but would buy it new if I now had to do so. It is expensive, but great for people such as me who love kayaking, have relatively heavy kayaks, and have had previous back surgery due to an injury.
Funny enough I have a hullavator that we use on the Grand Cherokee that I bought used as well because I thought the price too high. Having owned it I would not hesitate buying one new now.
If you are mounting on bars I recommend it. It's very sturdy, just watch your rack weight limit if using two with two kayaks.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Used my boat loader trick of extending out a few inches to get two wide kayaks on Yakima bars on RSI cap, about 67” total kayak width, went well….Jack
EC2BAF90-183F-4CD4-81A5-3FAD02C44B3C.jpeg
D6C25D2C-03C4-4DEE-BE29-391C3C1FBA15.jpeg
7646D205-4BE9-4487-B79B-CEF0C5D7E68B.jpeg

JPGlad21

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Snazz, 1996 BMW 328i convertible
500 mile round trip, breaking it in with my Thule racks and beloved Hullivator. One of my best investments! 1st time in 6 years I haven't had to buy new footings - same ones from my traded JLUR.
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 20210910_142549
Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? 20210911_160209

Last edited:

Sponsored

LittleFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator and a lot of other toys...
Occupation
Realtor
Didn't see the Sport Rack posted so I figured I'd add it to the list. Unlike the Thule/Yakima versions, this is a fixed height rack. Being that I don't keep the rack permanently mounted on this truck, the height adjustable option of the Thule/Yakima racks are of no real use to me anyway. It's also a fraction of the cost... I've had this rack for +/- 5 years and it simply works.

Note: these racks will interfere with the tonneau cover (mine is rolled up in the photo) and the factory gear track systems if you have that in the bed of your truck.

Hobie Kayak's don't play nice with most rack systems as their hull needs to be supported lengthwise. 2 PVC pipes along the channels in the hull are perfect for providing support but no factory designed kayak mounting racks are designed for this purpose. Just set the pipes on the cross rails and set the Hobie on top of that. We have 2 Hobie's and the rack will comfortably support both of them.

The rack takes +/- 10 minutes to install/uninstall. It works well and is substantially stronger than mounting a rack to the composite material of the jeep roof. I play in the salt water so a thorough washing at the end of a trip is not optional, it must be done or the salt will destroy anything it comes in prolonged contact with. The additional +/- 10 minutes to remove the rack is just part of the cleaning process.

In our case, the Hobie's are roughly +/- 80 lbs and +/- 60 lbs. Add a couple racks and add the force of the wind at HWY speeds... pretty sure the composite roof would not hold up for very long.

Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? unnamed

Thefool

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galadiator freedom
Occupation
Corporate trainer
I use the tuwa pro bed rack. Works really well

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Here's my problem.... I've got a 17' aluminum canoe, it rides wonderfully on my FJ Cruiser's flat roof rack, from even with the front bumper to sticking off the back just 2 or 3 feet.

I really want to figure out how to haul it with the gladiator, but I've got a soft top.... this is one of the taller aluminum racks I could find, and it still lets the bow (front end) of the boat hang low enough that it has to be forward of the windshield.

Those racks are only on like 4' centers and the forward bar is basically at the balance point of the boat, so its nowhere near stable enough like this... I took it on a short shake-down drive and it was loose within 10 minutes. I've got to figure out some sort of rigid support for the nose... I even bought some cowl light bar brackets, but they're not gonna be strong enough.

Jeep Gladiator How do you guys carry your kayaks? IMG_9378
Sponsored