How does BLD work? How do I actuate it?

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys. Beginner question I know. I have a Sport S and have been reading about features it has like Selec Trac and BLD. I have yet to find a good guide explaining how these things work and when/how to use them. Could anyone point me to a beginner’s guide? Thank you!!

495007C5-35CC-40CE-A94D-8B4B2A5FC84D.jpeg
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
blds is the traction control system.
very sligh, left foot brake.
Very slightly right foot gas. Slowly add more gas. Don’t go crazy till you get a feel for it.

Fhe brakes provide resistance to the wheel without the best traction thereby sending power to the wheel that has more.

kinda like, water seeks its own level.
electricity wants to flow through the path of least resistance.

same thing here. Create resistance in one place, power will get redirected to the other side.

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Last edited:

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
When his passenger front was spinning his passenger rear was not spinning and I thought the mojave had a rear electronic locker (unless it wasn't engaged)?
If I recall, his rear was not locked, but not sure.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
blds is the traction control system.
very sligh, left foot brake.
Very slightly right foot gas. Slowly add more gas. Don’t go crazy till you get a feel for it.

Fhe brakes provide resistance to the wheel without the best traction thereby sending power to the wheel that has more.

kinda like, water seeks its own level.
electricity wants to flow through the path of least resistance.

same thing here. Create resistance in one place, power will get redirected to the other side.
Do you even need to apply brake for the system to work in the Jeep? I would think not, but I don't know. It sounds like it's automatic. Brake-based limited slips have been a thing with various manufacturers for a while now. I honestly can't stand how they feel but they get the job done. It seems like Jeep has just implemented it in a more encompassing way, at slow speed and various torque levels.

The technique you're describing of pushing the brake and gas at the same time to send power to the wheel with traction is a pretty old school technique that works with open diffs and no electronic aids at all.

Last edited:

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Do you even need to apply brake for the system to work in the Jeep? I would think not, but I don't know. It sounds like it's automatic. Brake-based limited slips have been a thing with various manufacturers for a while now. I honestly can't stand how they feel but they get the job done. It seems like Jeep has just implemented it in a more encompassing way, at slow speed and various torque levels.

The technique you're describing of pushing the brake and gas at the same time to send power to the wheel without traction is a pretty old school technique that works with open diffs and no electronic aids at all.
You do not need to apply the brake for this system to work.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD

The technique you're describing of pushing the brake and gas at the same time to send power to the wheel with traction is a pretty old school technique that works with open diffs and no electronic aids at all.
You don’t have to apply them. It helps, I’ve found, to start the ball rolling.

tried it once. It worked, but not nearly as fluid as lockers. I haven’t tried it again, I’d rather use my lockers and finesse an obstacle where possible.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
How does this compare to LSD?

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
How does this compare to LSD?
The limited-slip diff available in the Gladiator is mechanical - it uses gears and a clutch (which BTW is a wear item) to prevent all the torque from flowing to a wheel with much less traction than its counterpart on a driven axle. BLD is electronic - the computer looks out for situations where one wheel on an axle is spinning more and applies the brakes only to that wheel. My understanding is that the LSD (if you have it) will kick in quickly to address this phenomenon, and if the condition persists, the BLD will take further action to ensure that the wheel with traction gets torque.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The limited-slip diff available in the Gladiator is mechanical - it uses gears and a clutch (which BTW is a wear item) to prevent all the torque from flowing to a wheel with much less traction than its counterpart on a driven axle. BLD is electronic - the computer looks out for situations where one wheel on an axle is spinning more and applies the brakes only to that wheel. My understanding is that the LSD (if you have it) will kick in quickly to address this phenomenon, and if the condition persists, the BLD will take further action to ensure that the wheel with traction gets torque.
The LSD often uses the same gears, same number of gears (in most cases). The difference is the clutch packs between the side gears and the carrier housing.
They are all mechanical.
In a normal LSD, the pressure applied through the spider gears, or carrier gears, to the side gears applies pressure to the clutch pack, "locking" the axle to the carrier.

Everyone talks of the LSD clutches as being "a wear item".
I have to wonder what's up with specifying it as a wear item? So are brakes, bearings, seals, etc. - the LSD clutch packs are no more a wear item than most other things.
Somehow the internet has decided that as a fact, these have problems.

Anyway, I've run limited slip differentials to 100,000 miles and more. It's a simple matter to rebuild the clutch packs. No big deal. Keep the correct lube in 'em, use additive where required, and keep the same size tires on each side - no problem.

Jeep Gladiator How does BLD work? How do I actuate it? posi-plates_2015

Jeep Gladiator How does BLD work? How do I actuate it? posi-plates_2011
This is one style - some use cones, some use variations on the clutch packs or even additional carrier gears.

Jeep Gladiator How does BLD work? How do I actuate it? 1655334452821

Jeep Gladiator How does BLD work? How do I actuate it? 1655334507794

And another variation -

Jeep Gladiator How does BLD work? How do I actuate it? 1655334576471
Sponsored