Sponsored

How easy does a Rubicon cruise at 90mph?

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Particularly interested in how easy a Diesel Rubicon cruises at 90mph on the highway? For like a road trip...
Factory M\T or A\T tires.

Thx!
Sponsored

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Or am I crazy to think the Rubicon can go 90 mph :)

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
At that speed you gas mileage will probably really suck. Don't forget you have the aeordynamics of a brick on wheels.

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
My sport on 37s, stock gearing travels regularly 85+ down here in Florida, does just fine. Don't expect good mileage but I could give a rats ass about mileage. 488s getting installed soon. Not sure why people are so afraid of it.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
No issues with 35s.. Expect 13mpg at best, as previosuly mentioned, basically a barn on wheels.

70mph is the sweet spot for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
At that speed, the high center of gravity counts a bit more than at 70 or 80........
It's only bad if something breaks, some animal jumps on the road in front of you, some fool blows through an intersection, an idiot slams on the brakes ahead of you, someone changes lanes into the side of your truck and you have fun keeping it on the road.
Yeah, I was driving along minding my own business in the center lane on I35 - driving my big RED Ford F250 - you know, a FULL-SIZED heavy BIG truck - did I mention it was RED - like fire engine red?
And big? Did I say that - 8' box and all....... and some woman in a sedan decided to change lanes - yeah, she got a reminder about the laws of physics - in fact, more than one - this isn't a quantum world where you can have two things occupy the same space at the same time, oh, and the one about MASS and direction and so on...... I'm so glad my truck was BIG and HEAVY - but she wasn't. Destroyed the LEFT side of her car bumper to bumper.
Then there was the time with my 65 Chevy where another guy also decided he wanted over where I was - he hit me so hard we BOTH had trouble maintaining diretion.
Never underestimate the idiocy of other drivers.....
That Jeep at 90 if hit by anything won't be fun to control. Especially with a higher center of gravity.
Yeh cannot change the laws of physics.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Particularly interested in how easy a Diesel Rubicon cruises at 90mph on the highway? For like a road trip...
Factory M\T or A\T tires.

Thx!
I can't answer cursing at 90mph... but per the online specification, Jeep limits the Rubicon at 97 mph, there is no differentiation between the gas and diesel. This data is from the interior specifications, safety and security systems. The same 97 mph applies to the Mojave and Willys. The Sport has a 110 mph limit. The 80th Anniversary, Overland, and High Altitude don't state what their limit is.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can't answer cursing at 90mph... but per the online specification, Jeep limits the Rubicon at 97 mph, there is no differentiation between the gas and diesel. This data is from the interior specifications, safety and security systems. The same 97 mph applies to the Mojave and Willys. The Sport has a 110 mph limit. The 80th Anniversary, Overland, and High Altitude don't state what their limit is.
I would also consider the speed ratings of the tires - sidewall heat, etc. Not sure what sort of speed rating those stock tires have, I've not even looked at the A/Ts on mine.

Jeep Gladiator How easy does a Rubicon cruise at 90mph? 42E5F6EA-9E9E-489C-A748-2D4EFDF18A19

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I'm not going to be testing it out, and wouldn't recommend it. Especially in my line of work and the number of crashes I've had to see. In Germany on the Autobahn's I've had my MJ flat out getting it, but it ran with a lower COG too. When it was new I got great mpg and good at higher speed than my first two cars but one was a 350 4 barrel carb and then a 429 w 4 barrel carb T-bird. That T-bird loved to cruse over 70..... Young and dumb, a big reason I don't have cars now. Not a lot of fun thinking about what could of happened after being in a few pursuit at high speeds. A few years back I hit a good sized deer on a call luckily I was driving a patrol truck. I was not going that fast. Just a few things to think about.

ChargedUp!

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tucson and Mustang
Does it count if you have the top and doors off and windshield down and just let the air go straight thru? :P. Just need some goggles. Should at least let you hit 15mpg. :D

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Drive the I5 in California, you'll see 90+ if you don't want run over. JTR on 35's does just fine.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The speedo will indicate more than that and be pulling hard when it does.

Sponsored