Sponsored

How hard is it offroading in a manual transmission?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
It is mostly different when you climb hills or rock crawl. When you climb a hill, you pick a gear and stay there. I have a Rubicon JT Manual and I usually climb in 4WD Low -- 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.... If I have to, I can downshift fast and have my low gears. When rock crawling, I use the lowest gear - 4WD Low 1st gear, or maybe 2nd... You mostly feather the gas pedal and brake and keep the clutch out -- it is kind of like guiding a tank or tractor. You do not want to stall it, nor put the clutch in, so, you kind of tractor through it. 1st gear is so low that you can almost do a momentary stop without stalling. What is nice about a manual is that wheel spin and forward and back rocking is limited at low speed on rocks because there is no torque converter, so, you do not get that loose feeling with the wheels going forward then backward on the rocks when you are feathering the gas.

One thing about the manual is that you make the decision on how you are going to take the obstacle and you do it -- right or wrong. With an auto tranny it is easier to stop and rethink than with a manual.
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Years ago I used to drive this Ford F-350 4x with skinny knobby snow tires I am a geologist and work off road this was. 1978 There was this hill I had to climb repeatedly the truck was auto if I didn’t make the climb it was always difficult backing down gave me. Well nightmares We got new Toyota’s 78 4 bangers with sticks. They climbed that hill effortlessly and you could back down under control. Not Mr toad’s wild ride backwards. Now a days will hill descend it is no big deal. But. Off roaring in a manual isn’t either generally pretty easy. If you can shift well

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I've had several MTs but I've never went off the pavement with them and have no clue how it will be . I love shifting gears but not knowing how to respond off-road or backing a boat in ect scares me. Any takers want to give me some advice? I's it something that Id have to trial and error out and figure it out on my own or with some mt experience is it pretty simple?
I had a '94 Nissan Hardbody, as well. Mine was a 4WD and I loved it for 20 years.. Then I had a Ram with an AT, basically the same transmission as the Gladiator's. It was a GREAT transmission ... for an automatic. But when Jeep offered the Gladiator with a MT, I couldn't wait to get back to being in full control of my transmission.

Here's a great video full of tips for off-roading with a MT. At one point in the video it is explained that if you stall while climbing, you can restart without depressing the clutch (IIRC this was in a Land Rover) The Gladiator has the same feature! Just hit the push button and the starter will both get you rolling and restart the motor.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I will just add that I have seen more people with MT break stuff than with an AT. For getting over obstacles you have to really watch your clutch control. If you let go too quick when your tires are bound sadness ensues. People have been off roading with manual transmissions since the 4 wheel drive was invented.
Same thing goes with towing. Takes a little more attention but isn't really hard. If you have been driving MTs you shouldn't have a problem.
I considered the MT but I couldn't loose that much towing on such a big investment. And I am old and lazy and like a cold drink as mentioned before.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The AT has a manual mode that will let you hold a gear as well.
Yeah, I'm a photographer and let me talk about that manual shifting of ATs. I hate to get still shots of people with their brake lights on because it makes the shot look posed. So I do my best to avoid that. And I can pick out an AT driver in a heartbeat because instead of downshifting manually, they ride their brakes down steep descents. I wait and wait and cuss and wait some more, "Come on, damn-it, this is a great shot. Get off your damned brakes!" The reason is because the psychology of shifting just isn't in their muscle memory, even if they know how to drive an MT and have plenty of experience at it. They're just used to the AT doing the work, so it's like that part of their brain turns off. On top of that, when doing video, lit up brake lights often flash rapidly in the video. It's very distracting, and yet another problem with shooting AT drivers who are constantly using their brakes instead of gears and engine compression.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don’t see any upside to MTs nowadays. ...
Push start. When you're 276 miles from the nearest help in the Arctic and your starter blows, it's nice to know you can still push start your rig.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've had several Mts but I've never went off the pavement with them and have no clue how it will be . I love shifting gears but not knowing how to respond off-road or backing a boat in ect scares me. Any takers want to give me some advice? I's it something that Id have to trial and error out and figure it out on my own or with some mt experience is it pretty simple?
First and foremost, stall happens. Get over it and don't let your friends rag on you too much.

But, as you likely learned when growing into driving an MT, shifting gears sort of becomes automatic. You don't put much thought into it--the hands and feet work together with your senses. and you're usually in the right gear (I find having a pretty lady in the passenger seat can cause me to screw this part up if i'm not careful, LOL). The same will happen with driving off-road. You'll pick up some tricks and cues and eventually not really spend any time thinking about the shifting.

Ultimately, more and more of the driving experience is being handed over to computers that are much more capable than us mere human flesh and bones. You can learn how to pick a line and not get stuck; pick a bad line or use poor technique and get stuck, but use your recovery gear; or you can put some vehicle models into special modes that just crawl right through that technical patch. In the near future--I bet within a decade--there will be rigs that actually analyze the line in front of you and guide you,--think of your TrailCam on steroids. Eventually they'll just steer while adjusting gears and gas as you ease right over that tough crawl. And no one will dispute that is the fastest, easiest way to get from point A to point B. You have to decide: How much of the driving experience do you want to hand over to computers and machinery?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Push start. When you're 276 miles from the nearest help in the Arctic and your starter blows, it's nice to know you can still push start your rig.
Valid point, but I was taking the OP’s statements into consideration. I did not get that he was prepping for hard core Arctic runs . He did mention a boat. I much prefer my AT for that having done it with both.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
From a performance standpoint, agreed. From a driver engagement standpoint, disagree 100%. I enjoy my 6 speed manual Jeep. Same for my performance cars. I am well aware automatics, DCT’s, etc. are faster. But damnit there is nothing like rowing some gears. And this is coming from a dumb millennial.
I’m impressed you can drive it with that millennial anti-theft device installed!

I completely agree with you on the driver engagement! My LR Defender had the anemic 19J turbo diesel with all of 80hp, but it had a sweet five speed and gearing that allowed it to go anywhere and a driver feel that was second to none. I replaced the engine and tranny with an LS and 6 speed auto from a 2012 Camaro. With over 400hp, it was a COMPLETELY different vehicle and I loved everything about it except the driver feel was completely gone.

26DCAAA7-76AC-4132-B575-8DB438880682.jpeg

E872FC48-0E14-463E-B82D-B7553A0E871B.jpeg

0E0FDDEC-0EDF-401C-8C91-619422639AF9.jpeg

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
My 97 Ranger was a five speed, got a lot more fun with a Hurst shifter on it. Learned a lot about wheeling with a long wheelbase and cramped breakover. For running in the desert and such, a stick is no hindrance. Within the limits of LWB vehicles, rocky trails require a much different approach with a stick than with an auto. You have to be willing to abuse the clutch in a way you wouldn't on the street, and do the maintenance that results. On the street, driving it like a Miata with a giant trunk was fun, for sure.

For any kind of towing, an auto is MUCH preferable short of an 18 wheeler tractor. No one missed having a manual in our H2, let's put it that way.

Still have a 93 YJ 5-spd, and again, driving on the street is fun. The short wheelbase makes EVERYTHING easier offroad, for sure, and masks a lot of the problems a manual brings to the party for rocky trails and such. Given the terrible 3 spd autos back then, the manual was EASILY the preferred choice. Even a TJ 4 spd auto is livable, though, as overdrive is a must have.

Now days, to me, the 8 spd auto is the clear choice. Regardless my sweetie can't drive a stick, kneecapping the tow rating for a manual defeats one main purpose in having a JTR. The long wheelbase is WHY the tow rating is so good!

The manual shift mode works well, in my view, and the compromises in efficiency are in the manual, not the auto. The powertrain of the JTR works pretty darn well.

I've had several Mts but I've never went off the pavement with them and have no clue how it will be . I love shifting gears but not knowing how to respond off-road or backing a boat in ect scares me. Any takers want to give me some advice? I's it something that Id have to trial and error out and figure it out on my own or with some mt experience is it pretty simple?

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t see any upside to MTs nowadays. Modern ATs are superior in every way. All you really get with a manual is the running through the gears part of driving. I’ve owned MTs, still have an old stick shift Jeep truck from the ‘60s. Working the gears can be good throwback fun but it is not my daily driver. I prefer having my right hand free for other things, like sipping a cold drink.

Some just like to say they can do it the hard way. That’s cool too. I’ve also seen people without good MT skills put themselves and others in real danger When things got hairy and panic set in. I just got back from a run in the Colorado Rockies where a little bad clutch work can quickly send you hundreds of feet down to your end.

Clearly people do MT wheeling everyday. Since you expressed concern and lack of confidence, I would suggest you go with an AT. The ease of use just adds so much to driving or wheeling. I personally don’t think rowing through gears, while fun at times, is worth all the aspects lost with respect to the AT. I just now thought of my Christmas light cruising with some hot cocoa at the ready.

This is meant to be helpful to you. I don’t know your skill or mindset. I’m not an MT hater at all, ATs have just come so far now. Full disclosure, I’m getting old so a bit of laziness is likely creeping into my thinking.

Good luck with your choice and have fun wheeling safely.
Loved my MTs in the day, but have to agree completely here. The modern 8 speed auto in these things is worlds better than the MT. I wanted the MT, but the joy of rowing gears was outweighed by the performance and towing capacity of the auto.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My JKU Rubicon was a 6 speed. I had it when I lived in CO and I did a pretty decent amount of off-roading with it. The manual transmission came in handy for when I didn’t want so much reduction with the 4:1 tc. I’d often start out in second or third gear?

Do they still have the feature where you can start it in 4lo without depressing the clutch? That was a handy feature.

I got the automatic on my JT for the big increase in towing capacity.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Do they still have the feature where you can start it in 4lo without depressing the clutch? That was a handy feature.
Here's a great video full of tips for off-roading with a MT. At one point in the video it is explained that if you stall while climbing, you can restart without depressing the clutch (IIRC this was in a Land Rover) The Gladiator has the same feature! Just hit the push button and the starter will both get you rolling and restart the motor.
Yea ... but I did neglect to mention it only works in 4L.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've used M.T. and Automatic transmission off roading and towing. Modern automatic transmission has the strength that M.T. don't. So manufacturer's have seen that people don't want to or can't control their vehicle while driving. So why spend time and money on modernizing a manual transmission. :facepalm: I mean look how many drive a automatic with one foot on gas and other on brake pedal.:headbang::headbang::swear:
Is one better than the other off road not really that's driver preference. But as said above same experience I have seen more stuff is broken with M.T. than automatic transmission T. converter is a cushion effectively for drive train.
No you can't push start it, but if you're that worried about that but and carry a spare one, if your travelling in a group one spare starter another carries a spare hub ECT, ECT.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
going off road in my rubi manual was quite the learning experience. I had no idea that putting it in 4L and in 1st gear meant that it would run on its own. Same goes for reverse! It basically is an automatic in 4L and i had no idea. It does make it a lot easier.
Sponsored