Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Freelance Stamp Collector
Alert: Venting follows

What follows is an account of the events between Jan 7 2021 and Feb 11 2021.

After purchasing my 2020 Jeep Gladiator I knew that I wanted to supercharge it. Not because it felt gutless or anything, just because it seemed cool and my wife said I could do it so...ya know. I started doing research and it came down to 2 choices, a RIPP Supercharger or a Magnuson Supercharger. I wanted to go with the RIPP unit, but after speaking with several installers I was told that the lead time would be 6-8 weeks. That would mean that I would have to wait until after my move to Colorado from Texas for my new job that starts in March. I was ok with waiting, but decided to see what I could make happen with a Magnuson unit.

I called a small shop in Pearland, Texas called G-Force motorsports because they had good reviews online and were listed as a recommended installer on Magnuson's website. After some back and forth on email they informed me that the supercharger unit for my JT was "in stock and ready to ship" all they needed was for me to pay $7000 of the invoice to cover the cost of the supercharger and the tax/shipping. I was excited because this fit perfectly with the timeline I needed and all seemed to be right with the world. They also told me that once I paid the invoice they would get the supercharger ordered that same day and that they would get me on the books for install within the next 2 weeks. I promptly pulled out my trusty Visa card and paid the invoice. After waiting 4 days to hear something about the order I reached out to them to find out when my install was going to be. They told me that there were some delays, but they would get me information as soon as they had it. A few days later I reached out again, and they told me that the superchargers were on backorder (despite them telling me in writing that it was in stock) and that they would be getting it the first week of Feb. I said ok, but that I was moving to Denver the end of Feb so I needed them to be sure that they could do the install in time or else I would need them to cancel the order. They said that they would be able to do it no problem.

The first of Feb came and went with no communication. I reached out again. Several times. By email and phone call. Eventually they return my message to tell me that the delays continue and that my unit is 10th in line and is scheduled to ship on the 11th and that they will get me in to the shop on or about the 15th, but that they can for sure get it done by the 23rd when I am leaving for Denver. I said, please just cancel my order. They told me that the part was already made and was custom order so they couldnt cancel it or return my money, but that they promised it was going to ship on the 11th and they would for sure do everything that they could to guarantee that it would be done in time. I said ok again (like an idiot).

The 11th comes around and I am wondering where the shipping info that they promised is at so I called and emailed again. They sent me a forward of an email that had been stripped of all other data but one line and the name of the sender from Magnuson which stated that due to COVID delays on parts that Magnuson did not have the kits to ship and it would be late next week at the earliest before they could fix their supply chain. I emailed back and said that this just doesnt work and that I wont even be in Texas any longer when (if) my supercharger arrives and that I need them to just cancel the order with Magnuson and return my money. The told me that they would only do so if I agreed to pay a 20% restocking fee on my $7000. I thought that it was a bit odd that there would be a restocking fee on an item that literally does not exist yet, so I called Magnuson and spoke with Derik (the person from the email) who told me that Magnuson does not charge a restocking fee on items that have not been assembled/shipped. I emailed and called (left a voicemail) and told the owner (Skyler) of G-Force Motorsports that I just spoke with the person from the email and there is no restocking fee. They are now ghosting me. Fortunately I did not pay cash (which they literally tried like hell to get me to do) and I have now initiated a charge back for the amount of the invoice to my Visa card along with all of the correspondence between myself and this shop.

I am really upset about this whole thing, not so much because of the money, but because I didnt expect to get lied to by a local business and then have them attempt to rob me. Now, I dont have my money back yet, so maybe they succeeded in robbing me...time will tell, but this is just a crappy way to do business. I dont know if Magnuson ever looks here or anything, and that isnt really the point as they were great throughout the process and I would love to do business with them. The point is that as a consumer it can be hard to vet these shops. I am sure that there are some good ones out there, and I should have done more research than just looking at online reviews, but I have never dealt with something like this before. At this point I dont even know if I will go ahead with my plans down the road because this company really pissed in my Cheerios...I love supporting local businesses and business owners, and I was upset that I was going to have to cancel my order because I wanted to help them out as much as I wanted a supercharged JT, but as of right now they can kiss my butt.

I know that this is not actually about a supercharger, but rather the absence of one, but I just want folks to know that there is more to it than just picking the right blower. Dont be like me.

TL;DR -
Do your research on the shop that will be installing your supercharger. Go there, meet them, see their work, stalk them for a while. Do all that before giving them $0.10! And stay the hell away from G-Force Motorsports. Their reviews hide an ugly truth.
Sponsored

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers

After purchasing my 2020 Jeep Gladiator I knew that I wanted to supercharge it. Not because it felt gutless or anything, just because it seemed cool and my wife said I could do it so...ya know. I started doing research and it came down to 2 choices, a RIPP Supercharger or a Magnuson Supercharger. I wanted to go with the RIPP unit, but after speaking with several installers I was told that the lead time would be 6-8 weeks. That would mean that I would have to wait until after my move to Colorado from Texas for my new job that starts in March. I was ok with waiting, but decided to see what I could make happen with a Magnuson unit.

I called a small shop in Pearland, Texas called G-Force motorsports because they had good reviews online and were listed as a recommended installer on Magnuson's website. After some back and forth on email they informed me that the supercharger unit for my JT was "in stock and ready to ship" all they needed was for me to pay $7000 of the invoice to cover the cost of the supercharger and the tax/shipping. I was excited because this fit perfectly with the timeline I needed and all seemed to be right with the world. They also told me that once I paid the invoice they would get the supercharger ordered that same day and that they would get me on the books for install within the next 2 weeks. I promptly pulled out my trusty Visa card and paid the invoice. After waiting 4 days to hear something about the order I reached out to them to find out when my install was going to be. They told me that there were some delays, but they would get me information as soon as they had it. A few days later I reached out again, and they told me that the superchargers were on backorder (despite them telling me in writing that it was in stock) and that they would be getting it the first week of Feb. I said ok, but that I was moving to Denver the end of Feb so I needed them to be sure that they could do the install in time or else I would need them to cancel the order. They said that they would be able to do it no problem.

The first of Feb came and went with no communication. I reached out again. Several times. By email and phone call. Eventually they return my message to tell me that the delays continue and that my unit is 10th in line and is scheduled to ship on the 11th and that they will get me in to the shop on or about the 15th, but that they can for sure get it done by the 23rd when I am leaving for Denver. I said, please just cancel my order. They told me that the part was already made and was custom order so they couldnt cancel it or return my money, but that they promised it was going to ship on the 11th and they would for sure do everything that they could to guarantee that it would be done in time. I said ok again (like an idiot).

The 11th comes around and I am wondering where the shipping info that they promised is at so I called and emailed again. They sent me a forward of an email that had been stripped of all other data but one line and the name of the sender from Magnuson which stated that due to COVID delays on parts that Magnuson did not have the kits to ship and it would be late next week at the earliest before they could fix their supply chain. I emailed back and said that this just doesnt work and that I wont even be in Texas any longer when (if) my supercharger arrives and that I need them to just cancel the order with Magnuson and return my money. The told me that they would only do so if I agreed to pay a 20% restocking fee on my $7000. I thought that it was a bit odd that there would be a restocking fee on an item that literally does not exist yet, so I called Magnuson and spoke with Derik (the person from the email) who told me that Magnuson does not charge a restocking fee on items that have not been assembled/shipped. I emailed and called (left a voicemail) and told the owner (Skyler) of G-Force Motorsports that I just spoke with the person from the email and there is no restocking fee. They are now ghosting me. Fortunately I did not pay cash (which they literally tried like hell to get me to do) and I have now initiated a charge back for the amount of the invoice to my Visa card along with all of the correspondence between myself and this shop.

I am really upset about this whole thing, not so much because of the money, but because I didnt expect to get lied to by a local business and then have them attempt to rob me. Now, I dont have my money back yet, so maybe they succeeded in robbing me...time will tell, but this is just a crappy way to do business. I dont know if Magnuson ever looks here or anything, and that isnt really the point as they were great throughout the process and I would love to do business with them. The point is that as a consumer it can be hard to vet these shops. I am sure that there are some good ones out there, and I should have done more research than just looking at online reviews, but I have never dealt with something like this before. At this point I dont even know if I will go ahead with my plans down the road because this company really pissed in my Cheerios...I love supporting local businesses and business owners, and I was upset that I was going to have to cancel my order because I wanted to help them out as much as I wanted a supercharged JT, but as of right now they can kiss my butt.

I know that this is not actually about a supercharger, but rather the absence of one, but I just want folks to know that there is more to it than just picking the right blower. Dont be like me.

TL;DR -
Do your research on the shop that will be installing your supercharger. Go there, meet them, see their work, stalk them for a while. Do all that before giving them $0.10! And stay the hell away from G-Force Motorsports. Their reviews hide an ugly truth.
That sucks man! That's a shame you had to go through that. I hope you get all your $ back!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If you don’t get your money back it sounds like a pretty clear civil suit from you against the business.

OP
OP
brotharon

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you don’t get your money back it sounds like a pretty clear civil suit from you against the business.
I really hope it doesnt come to that. The last thing that I want to do is sue a small tuner shop over $7000. I know that places like that have to do all they can to keep the doors open right now. I just dont know why you would mislead your customer and then stonewall them. I appreciate your feedback, lets just hope it doesnt come to that.

That sucks man! That's a shame you had to go through that. I hope you get all your $ back!
I hope so too. I just went ahead and issued the chargeback with Visa, and I am hoping that they are able to recoup it. I am just glad that I didnt pay cash! My wife made me ask about a military discount (she always does) and they told me that they would give me 6% off for that if I paid cash, but they would not give me a discount and would charge me 3% extra if I paid with CC. I didnt feel good about putting that much money down in cash without anything to show for it (I dont know those folks) and it is a good thing I erred on the side of caution I think.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Oof. Sorry to hear this, and I hope you get your money back. :(

Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase

TL;DR -
I am angry for you, bro. You did everything right. You looked at their reviews. You told them of your timeline restrictions. They just tried to get over on you. Because you kept saying ok, they figured they would burn you for $1400 for not even doing anything. I feel bad for you man. I hope you get your supercharger in Colorado.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Perhaps you should call Derik at Magnuson, tell him your story again, and ask who the factory would recommend in your new hometown. At the least they should know they might be getting some bad PR here.....Jack

OP
OP
brotharon

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am angry for you, bro. You did everything right. You looked at their reviews. You told them of your timeline restrictions. They just tried to get over on you. Because you kept saying ok, they figured they would burn you for $1400 for not even doing anything. I feel bad for you man. I hope you get your supercharger in Colorado.
Thank you for the sentiment. I do hope that this all gets taken care of. I will get my truck taken care of in Colorado.
...also, holy crap, Grovetown, GA...i used to live and own a house there. Fun!

Perhaps you should call Derik at Magnuson, tell him your story again, and ask who the factory would recommend in your new hometown. At the least they should know they might be getting some bad PR here.....Jack
I am not intending to give bad PR to Magnuson. Honestly, they have been very informative and I think have tried to help where they could. I would hope that they remove G-Force from their list of recommended installers, but that is on them and not on me. I will absolutely look for personal references before selecting another installer.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Pearland...
Out there with all the other shit-kickers, eh?

:)

Good luck! Visa should find in your favor.

Kevin

Lexx

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
Uh sorry you went through that. I'm glad you posted this so that others can be warmed about potential issues with a vendor/installer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brotharon

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Update: I was able to get my money back by disputing this through my credit card company. I don't know what I am going to do moving forward. I was really disappointed in the process I had to endure with this supercharger. Probably going to hold off on mods for a while.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Update: I was able to get my money back by disputing this through my credit card company. I don't know what I am going to do moving forward. I was really disappointed in the process I had to endure with this supercharger. Probably going to hold off on mods for a while.
Sadly this is why I am not modding my Gladiator...a bad experience with ACE Engineering and that set the tone of how I see everyone in the aftermarket arena for Jeeps.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Sadly this is why I am not modding my Gladiator...a bad experience with ACE Engineering and that set the tone of how I see everyone in the aftermarket arena for Jeeps.
'I got dumped by a girl in middle school... now I only date men.' HAHA! Come on, man! You can't let one experience with one company determine your outlook on an entire industry. Make out with her best friend right in front of her (buy from a competitor and talk about how good they were to deal with and how good of a product they offer).

OP
OP
brotharon

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
'I got dumped by a girl in middle school... now I only date men.' HAHA! Come on, man! You can't let one experience with one company determine your outlook on an entire industry. Make out with her best friend right in front of her (buy from a competitor and talk about how good they were to deal with and how good of a product they offer).
I am happy for you sharing your preference for dating men, though the reason seems a bit thin. (I know you were being sarcastic, I am just messing about. I know the internet is not a good translator of intent) :D

For my part, I am not saying that I wont be modding my Gladiator, just that I am holding off while I rethink my plans for my truck. I want it to have more power, but now I am thinking about mods that I could move to another JT and just waiting around for the 4xe to come to the Gladiator. So, probably wheels, tires, bumpers, racks...stuff like that

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I am happy for you sharing your preference for dating men, though the reason seems a bit thin. (I know you were being sarcastic, I am just messing about. I know the internet is not a good translator of intent) :D

For my part, I am not saying that I wont be modding my Gladiator, just that I am holding off while I rethink my plans for my truck. I want it to have more power, but now I am thinking about mods that I could move to another JT and just waiting around for the 4xe to come to the Gladiator. So, probably wheels, tires, bumpers, racks...stuff like that
That's why I put it in quotes... haha! Trying to make sure it was clear that it was just a hypothetical quote! HAHA!

I know you weren't saying that, that's why I quoted @Br4hm4 .

As far as your actual experience... you definitely handled it better than I would have. I'd have been taking a drive down to Pearland to stomp a mudhole in someone's ass. You try and rob me, we're going to have problems. The whole 'It's just money, it's not worth it.' or 'They are just things, it's not worth it.' mentality drives me nuts. That money, or those things, are a physical representation of hundreds of hours of my life that I will not get back.
Sponsored