First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I can live without it and XM. I don't like to have to pay or be reminded to pay for something that is nice, but not needed. As long as I can walk up to the car with the, remote somewhere on my body is good enough.
So you will cancelling cable tv, Netflix, Amazon prime, home internet, and your smart phone as well then ?

;-)
Sponsored

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Unconnect lasts 1 yr from delivery and is ridiculously expensive to renew. Over $300 a yr, and the best deal they seem to offer is maybe half that. It’s worth maybe $5 a month in my mind.
Unless they offer me a hell of a discount when my subscription is up I will not waste my money on that.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Is it a good value? I don’t really think so but there are some *credits* so to speak. The biggest one is probably an insurance discount for vehicle tracking a la Unconnect. With Subaru starllink remote unlock saved me the locksmith bill a few times when my wife locked herself out and I was able to remotely unlock from my desk (she wouldn’t setup the app).

My biggest gripe is that Chrysler can use the system to collect a wealth of data on me - driving habits, locations, vehicle status, average trip length etc, and that data is valuable. In my opinion these services shone gratis with agreement to share data, fee based if I decline to share or hard switchable to disconnect.

Do the road side assistance and crash reporting via the help button rely on having a subscription?

Lastly, the subscription / micro transaction is only going to get worse. I hate it, it’s a bad deal and irritating to no end but I do see it going away without legislation.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
sirius guardian should be viewed as a lojack app with additional remote start functionality. That's effectively how it's priced.

Does it suck that if you want the app controlled remote start you have to pay for all the rest too? Sure. But unlike my wife's Toyota, you folks still have remote start on the fob.

Meanwhile, i'll be over here with my manual transmission enjoying none of it

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Yeah, nope. Your wrong on this.

And I hate subscription BS too. But this ain't like heated seats where nothing else is involved and they just turn it off.

Remote start, locks, etc do not turn off. You can still use all of those features via your keofob. They all still work.

What you can't do anymore is use the wireless infrastructure of XM or whatever to control those functions wirelessly from anywhere using the phone app.

And it all makes perfect sense because your using someone's wireless infrastructure that they own and maintain and there are costs related to that and they aren't in business to open your car for you nationwide for free.

You bought your vehicle with remote start via the fob. They gave you a year free of the xm service as a carrot so you might buy it again. If you choose not to, that's in you.

But they are not disabling the "hardware" on your jeep.

The fob honestly has a good long range and works perfectly fine to remote start the car.

I renewed the xm connect because I like some of the additional things like health reports and gps to find the jeep in a crowded parking lot.

Either way. You are confusing this with the BS that bmw and others are doing and it's not the same thing.
As someone who works in cyber and technology, you're spot on!

GM is starting to do the same shit now too. This is just the beginning. Time to buy an older vehicle the GOVT can't remote into.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Is it a good value? I don’t really think so but there are some *credits* so to speak. The biggest one is probably an insurance discount for vehicle tracking a la Unconnect. With Subaru starllink remote unlock saved me the locksmith bill a few times when my wife locked herself out and I was able to remotely unlock from my desk (she wouldn’t setup the app).

My biggest gripe is that Chrysler can use the system to collect a wealth of data on me - driving habits, locations, vehicle status, average trip length etc, and that data is valuable. In my opinion these services shone gratis with agreement to share data, fee based if I decline to share or hard switchable to disconnect.

Do the road side assistance and crash reporting via the help button rely on having a subscription?

Lastly, the subscription / micro transaction is only going to get worse. I hate it, it’s a bad deal and irritating to no end but I do see it going away without legislation.
We have no privacy now.

Your cellphone is collecting on you even when its off, BTW current cellphones never turn completely off. One of the best collection devices for any GOVT was the invention of the smartphone or any smart device.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The $130 per year is about the best you will find. It is actually a decent price, when you consider it includes a monthly AT&T cellular connection so the head unit can communicate with the SiriusXM servers. I have the whole package, and put it on auto renew. I like my conveniences, and am willing to pay for some of them. I use the remote start, multiple times per day, so the cab is at a reasonable temperature when I get in.
Sponsored