Sponsored

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Ford Bronco, Gladiator soon!
Thanks! Was leaning this way. I’m just hoping, since the majority of my driving is communing on flat land on west coast, that I don’t take too much of a MPG hit vs 4.88. I know I’ll appreciate the 5.13s when I’m towing though.

I think I saw you mention you had a pedal commander, do you think those things or iDrive, are still worth it if you re-gear? Seems like regear gives you the response that’s missing already.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Thanks! Was leaning this way. I’m just hoping, since the majority of my driving is communing on flat land on west coast, that I don’t take too much of a MPG hit vs 4.88. I know I’ll appreciate the 5.13s when I’m towing though.

I think I saw you mention you had a pedal commander, do you think those things or iDrive, are still worth it if you re-gear? Seems like regear gives you the response that’s missing already.
Remember i am a sample size of one, and others tow with 4.88 fine. But knowing the transmission doesnt lock up as early would make me want more gear. Others counter with the opinion that its going to downshift either way, so why go deeper. Both are valid opinions. Im happy with my 4.88’s though.

Pedal commander and gearing address different things as it pertains to responsiveness. I would do both, or something like a pulsar.

Pavs1980JT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Hi Kurt.

I live in Australia and I am keen on getting more mileage once I get my gladiator in the next couple of weeks! I’ve ordered the Mopar intake, and I am looking to get the pulsar. Not as easy to source here, there are some available on eBay but there is no way of knowing which version it is! Is the new version being sold yet?Is there a product code for the V4? Would just putting on the intake make a difference on its own?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Hi Kurt.

I live in Australia and I am keen on getting more mileage once I get my gladiator in the next couple of weeks! I’ve ordered the Mopar intake, and I am looking to get the pulsar. Not as easy to source here, there are some available on eBay but there is no way of knowing which version it is! Is the new version being sold yet?Is there a product code for the V4? Would just putting on the intake make a difference on its own?
g'day.

Product code for the V4 will be the same as before once it releases. Superchips took my notes, and a few of them will make it as a plug-in cable update a bit after. Your best bet will be to order direct from Superchips/diablosport etc this summer because a lot of vendors will still ship the old unit I'm guessing. I'd also put in any order notes to specify you "want the V4, and if it is not V4, do not ship."

I think for your environ, you'll want to be able to run a paper filter and a snorkel with all the dust, especially central/west Australia as you trek about, so the Mopar intake is probably a good choice. Intake will help a bit on it's own, yes, but tuning and pedal correction is the biggest improvement.

Sponsored

Pavs1980JT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
g'day.

Product code for the V4 will be the same as before once it releases. Superchips took my notes, and a few of them will make it as a plug-in cable update a bit after. Your best bet will be to order direct from Superchips/diablosport etc this summer because a lot of vendors will still ship the old unit I'm guessing. I'd also put in any order notes to specify you "want the V4, and if it is not V4, do not ship."

I think for your environ, you'll want to be able to run a paper filter and a snorkel with all the dust, especially central/west Australia as you trek about, so the Mopar intake is probably a good choice. Intake will help a bit on it's own, yes, but tuning and pedal correction is the biggest improvement.
Great thanks Kurt! That’s a big help. I will probably run an oil filter as most of my driving will be city and Highway, and any touring I can then change to the paper filter!
Will I need a seperate pedal controller or is that part of the pulsar tune?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Great thanks Kurt! That’s a big help. I will probably run an oil filter as most of my driving will be city and Highway, and any touring I can then change to the paper filter!
Will I need a seperate pedal controller or is that part of the pulsar tune?
Pulsar corrects throttle. They will be pushing an update based on feedback from me and another beta tester that will be much better. Just have to update with their cable.

For cruising, youll get a fair amount of benefit from the pedal commander i think.

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Pulsar corrects throttle. They will be pushing an update based on feedback from me and another beta tester that will be much better. Just have to update with their cable.

For cruising, youll get a fair amount of benefit from the pedal commander i think.
Kurt,

I’ve been following your changes and plan on exhaust, and intake as you’ve previously suggested when return home next month. Instead of the Pulsar, my intent is to use the TrailDash2 that I already have for the Gladiator for the tune. First, do you see any issues with this approach, and second, will the TrailDash2 take care of the throttle control issue or will I still need the Pedal Commander? And finally, is there any reason to include a turbo? We drag the JT around behind a motorhome for 3-4 months a year, using it to get around when we set up as well as looking for fun trails to ride. Not extreme but more intermediate trails. The rest of the time it’s a daily driver.

Thoughts?

Again, many thanks for your knowledge, suggestions, and assistance.

Warm regards,

Jim

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Kurt,

I’ve been following your changes and plan on exhaust, and intake as you’ve previously suggested when return home next month. Instead of the Pulsar, my intent is to use the TrailDash2 that I already have for the Gladiator for the tune. First, do you see any issues with this approach, and second, will the TrailDash2 take care of the throttle control issue or will I still need the Pedal Commander? And finally, is there any reason to include a turbo? We drag the JT around behind a motorhome for 3-4 months a year, using it to get around when we set up as well as looking for fun trails to ride. Not extreme but more intermediate trails. The rest of the time it’s a daily driver.

Thoughts?

Again, many thanks for your knowledge, suggestions, and assistance.

Warm regards,

Jim
Happy to try and help Jim. No issues that i can see....ive never used the traildash, but id be surprised if the maps between traildash and pulsar were very different. Im not sure if the traildash tune corrects pedal input or not. Id say install it and see (or ask SC) and get the PC if needed.

Not sure what you mean by “include a turbo”? If you mean an actual turbo kit like a Prodigy, goodness no dont do that. If you decide you want (or know you want) more power -like forced induction more power- then skip the tuning all together and just get a supercharger. I personally think a twin screw blower is a better choice for these uses than a centrifugal kit, but opinions vary depending how you want the truck to drive. Current TVS kits are Magnuson and Edelbrock.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I know and agree. Running 87 hurts drivability but i think a lot of people wouldnt be happy if they required 91 in a jeep i guess.

They should have (imo) added stroke to the motor amd changed the low lobe cam to improve tq and refined the tuning. My 87 octane pulsar tune runs smoother than stock and people with Livernois have said the same
Great, informative videos Kurt, really appreciate the insight. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to help us out.

I put a lot of miles on my JT, (about 25k a year) Due to the bigger cost jump per gallon from 87 octane to even just 89 or 91, i'd really like to stick with 87 just to keep fuel cost lower if possible.

I know you said the pulsar has an 87 tune and runs fine, but i guess my question is if someone is going to stick to 87 only, is the pulsar going to give the same relative mileage improvement, comparing 87 pre-pulsar to 87 with pulsar? The pulsar interests me a lot for all of the reasons you like it, but i didn't know If it is a similar improvement on 87, or if you really need 91 for it to be worth it

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Great, informative videos Kurt, really appreciate the insight. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to help us out.

I put a lot of miles on my JT, (about 25k a year) Due to the bigger cost jump per gallon from 87 octane to even just 89 or 91, i'd really like to stick with 87 just to keep fuel cost lower if possible.

I know you said the pulsar has an 87 tune and runs fine, but i guess my question is if someone is going to stick to 87 only, is the pulsar going to give the same relative mileage improvement, comparing 87 pre-pulsar to 87 with pulsar? The pulsar interests me a lot for all of the reasons you like it, but i didn't know If it is a similar improvement on 87, or if you really need 91 for it to be worth it

The increase in mileage MAY make up for the higher cost of the better fuel. You'd need to do the math. If it is indeed a wash then you'll still benefit from having a better running vehicle.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation

Can't say for sure, I havent done any testing on the 87 file beyond making sure the throttle inputs were smooth and the rev climb/descend was free of stutter/shudder/issues. It's possible it could, but I think the majority of the mileage improvement is coming from available ignition advance from higher octane. The added power of the various maps has a cam phasing component that will actually increase fuel consumption on the throttle in order to make the power.

I think a proper 87 tune will most certainly drive better, but I can't say for sure if you'd see a mpg bump. My mpg bump came from the higher octane, pedal correction, and the higher octane file; and what aspects accounted for what portion of my improvement is unknown. I had no way to separate them to test individually. I don't generally subscribe to the idea of "pay X to save Y in fuel" because it rarely adds up. My reasoning has always been more "I want the vehicle to drive correctly and have added tank range" which is similar but different.

My v3 pulsar was mostly fine, the v4 has been fine. But again, this is (imo) for people who want an add on module and not a hacked/flashed ECU. if that doesnt bother someone, Livernois is a fantastic option. Now that I'm headed supercharged much, much earlier than I expected to be, my tuning choice would have been different from the beginning.

Last edited:

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Perfect, that is exactly the info i needed. Thank you sir!

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Happy to try and help Jim. No issues that i can see....ive never used the traildash, but id be surprised if the maps between traildash and pulsar were very different. Im not sure if the traildash tune corrects pedal input or not. Id say install it and see (or ask SC) and get the PC if needed.

Not sure what you mean by “include a turbo”? If you mean an actual turbo kit like a Prodigy, goodness no dont do that. If you decide you want (or know you want) more power -like forced induction more power- then skip the tuning all together and just get a supercharger. I personally think a twin screw blower is a better choice for these uses than a centrifugal kit, but opinions vary depending how you want the truck to drive. Current TVS kits are Magnuson and Edelbrock.