Sponsored

How to get best of both Rubicon and Mojave worlds?

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I've been seeing posts about the differences between the 2 and that they both have their good points and purposes.. But what can you do to get the best of both worlds?

If you have a Mojave you can add front locker, sway bar discos and a transfer case.. Awesome..
But if you have a Rubi can you not just add the Mojave knuckles, reservoir shocks and the Tazer Mini to use just rear locker in 2 hi and get the same thing? Rock crawling awesomeness with the dampening for high speed runs..

Reason I ask is I'm thinking of doing this but not sure what the drawbacks would be.

TIA
Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
It would be much harder (and $$$) to add the front locker and swaybar disconnect to the Mojave and get all the electronics to work correctly. If you get the 8.4 screens the locker status displays there also. Plus, the Rubicon has the 4:1 transfer case in place of the 'normal' 2.73:1 gearing. While the Mojave shocks are nice and don't forget the Mojave gets hydraulic front bump stops, if you go for a lift down the road, you might end up changing the shocks anyway.
My plan is a Rubicon for the lockers, transfer case, etc, and upgrades to the suspension once I decide on a lift plan. As always YMMV

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I've been seeing posts about the differences between the 2 and that they both have their good points and purposes.. But what can you do to get the best of both worlds?

If you have a Mojave you can add front locker, sway bar discos and a transfer case.. Awesome..
But if you have a Rubi can you not just add the Mojave knuckles, reservoir shocks and the Tazer Mini to use just rear locker in 2 hi and get the same thing? Rock crawling awesomeness with the dampening for high speed runs..

Reason I ask is I'm thinking of doing this but not sure what the drawbacks would be.

TIA

I have a manual JTR and I added a 3.5 inch lift kit, 37 inch tires, and Falcon adjustable shocks. I just firm up the shocks and mine runs the desert out here like a banshee. Huge difference between a stock Rubicon which would be hitting the bump stops at that speed in the desert. I was able to double my speed through my normal off-road runs - ie. from 13 mph to 26 mph. I think it is much easier and cheaper to have a Rubicon behave like a Mojave. You obviously cannot do the frame reinforcements of the Mojave, but, I do not jump my truck anyway.

PS. If you are considering a manual, I would get the Rubicon transfer case because of it's much lower gearing off-road and your ability to go through the rocks without using the clutch.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Rubi diesel. You get the stronger knuckles.

lift it, add hydraulic bump stops, and you’re there.

can’t do anything to strengthen the rubi frame. But seriously, you going to actually be bombing the desert?

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Add a locker and manually disconnecting sway bar and you are as capable as a Rubicon everywhere except the Rockiest places.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SubiRubi

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a manual JTR and I added a 3.5 inch lift kit, 37 inch tires, and Falcon adjustable shocks. I just firm up the shocks and mine runs the desert out here like a banshee. Huge difference between a stock Rubicon which would be hitting the bump stops at that speed in the desert. I was able to double my speed through my normal off-road runs - ie. from 13 mph to 26 mph. I think it is much easier and cheaper to have a Rubicon behave like a Mojave. You obviously cannot do the frame reinforcements of the Mojave, but, I do not jump my truck anyway.

PS. If you are considering a manual, I would get the Rubicon transfer case because of it's much lower gearing off-road and your ability to go through the rocks without using the clutch.
I've been eyeballin the Falcons.. Watched reviews and such. Good to hear real world use and how they perform. Not doing any Baja races but would like to have a nicer ride thru desert areas and such.

So Falcon adjustables for street use and offroad use.. Beef up the knuckles, add hydro bumps and should be ok then.. Skids will come soon after..

Thanks

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
The beefed up frame on the Mojave seems to be the one thing you can't add to the Rubicon. But I don't know how they beef up the frame. Does anyone know what they actually do? Some after-market skid plate systems replace cross-members and claim that this provides added torsional rigidity to the frame (in addition, these skid systems can add a little ground clearance, because a couple of those cross members are not well-designed, and hang kind of low). Would adding after-market skid systems constitute "beefing up the frame" in the same way that the FCA engineers did to the Mojave? I'm skeptical that the steel of the Mojave frame is thicker - but I don't know. Love to hear from someone who actually knows!

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........

TIA
Woulda been hilarious if you had said;
”just asking for a friend”

microboby

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon , TJ Rubicom , Tesla X
Done 50mph to 70mph on the desert / glamis and dirt roads with the rubi , 2.5” Evo lift and falcon shocks . Not sure how much faster you would like to go because the steering at those speeds it’s not the greatest specially in the soft sand . The vid was taken last weekend to the outpost bar in glamis that’s about 2 miles dirt road somewhere around 50mph

Attachments

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
There are whole threads that talk about this.

Most people want what they want but don't/won't use it anyway.

How are you really going to use your Gladiator off road? THAT'S what matters unless you're just in it for the looks - if that's the case just get the decal you like the best :CWL:

Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Rubi diesel. You get the stronger knuckles.

lift it, add hydraulic bump stops, and you’re there.

can’t do anything to strengthen the rubi frame. But seriously, you going to actually be bombing the desert?
Never read about Rubi diesel having cast knuckles.. not that I know anything! So what are the reasons they would produce 3-4 frames? just wondering because I bought the High Altitude for the wide axles and trim options.. I live in Florida, Zephyrhills is flat! Locker would be cool but it at least has the LSD.

Sport /sport S- diesel option?
Rubi- wide track axles- diesel option
Mojave- wide track axles
High Altitude (north edition) - wide track axles- diesel option

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Never read about Rubi diesel having cast knuckles.. not that I know anything! So what are the reasons they would produce 3-4 frames? just wondering because I bought the High Altitude for the wide axles and trim options.. I live in Florida, Zephyrhills is flat! Locker would be cool but it at least has the LSD.

Sport /sport S- diesel option?
Rubi- wide track axles- diesel option
Mojave- wide track axles
High Altitude (north edition) - wide track axles- diesel option

You live in Florida where the tallest hill is a decorative berm in front of the fancy hotels :giggle: unless you're going elsewhere to go off roading...

You could go with a 2WD stripper that you build up for "cheap" into a mall crawler. You've have the looks you want at the lowest possible cost.

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee

TIA
Get the Rubi if your passion is technical, low-speed rock crawling. Get the Mojave if it is anything else off road; from overlanding to dune bombing. You get a suspension you don't need to upgrade, stronger frame, supposedly stronger axles (not sure how true that is) , hydraulic bump stops, stronger knuckles. You simply get a stronger vehicle to start with and an awesome suspension right out of the box. Plus better road manners as a bonus.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Add a locker and manually disconnecting sway bar and you are as capable as a Rubicon everywhere except the Rockiest places.
I think the ultra low tranfer case ratio in 4L is a big help in certain situations. I believe the mojave transfer case does not have the 4:1 low range? 2.something:1 right?
Sponsored