How to spot a Mall Crawler

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
For the group, this is how it's laying after a few days of winching trees and branches for storm cleanup.

Its all piled on the driver side (booo) and without my fast idle controller, low is achingly slow so cable winding gets a little squirrely.

20200808_175824.jpg
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
@Diaster I was thinking of finding a bit more of a hill and just doing a hard pull with some sheaves to work the rope and slather in some oil while I'm there. Never thought to just leave it hanging for a bit.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
How does this thread have so few pictures? It’s like picking up a playboy and only seeing articles. WTH people?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Jeep Gladiator How to spot a Mall Crawler 20200808_204514

OP
OP
Diaster

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
@Diaster I was thinking of finding a bit more of a hill and just doing a hard pull with some sheaves to work the rope and slather in some oil while I'm there. Never thought to just leave it hanging for a bit.
That would definitely help as well!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
NASA’s online “Dictionary of Technical Terms for Aerospace Use” considers the two terms synonyms. But if an old-school paper dictionary is more your speed, I’ve got an American Heritage College Dictionary in front of me, and it defines engine as: “A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.” It also defines motor as: “Something, such as an engine, that produces or imparts motion” or “A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, as an internal-combustion engine.”

The dictionary specifically mentions the internal combustion engine as a type of motor.
The term for “engine” in other languages is actually “motor.” For example, if you translate the term “diesel engine” into German, you’ll notice that their word for it is “Dieselmotor.” Plus, if you look at any old advertising for American car companies at the turn of the 20th century, you’ll likely see the term “motor” used more often than “engine.” (Not to mention, we call a bicycle with an internal combustion engine a *motor*cycle).

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.
(from wordnet - PRINCETON University wordnetweb.princeton.edu )

In one of MIT’s “Ask An Engineer” columns entitled “What’s the difference between a motor and an engine?” the author talks with Mary Fuller, an MIT literature professor, about the history of the two terms. The story says “motor” comes from the Latin term movere, which means “to move,” and that—while it initially referred to the actual force causing something to move, it was later used in reference to “the person or device that moved something or caused movement.”
In the early 19th century, the meanings of motor and engine had already begun to converge, both referring to a mechanism providing propulsive force. “The first recorded use of ‘engine’ to mean an electrical machine driven by a petroleum motor occurs in 1853,” says Fuller.

So you have a motor in your car if it's gas, but you don't have an engine in your car if it's electric.
That's according to language experts and engineers.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Glad to have found my people. We get a chance, we are all drinking whiskey together.

Please remember...
There is a huge difference between the following:

Let's eat grandma!
and
Let's eat, grandma!

Commas....they save lives.

NASA’s online “Dictionary of Technical Terms for Aerospace Use” considers the two terms synonyms. But if an old-school paper dictionary is more your speed, I’ve got an American Heritage College Dictionary in front of me, and it defines engine as: “A machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion.” It also defines motor as: “Something, such as an engine, that produces or imparts motion” or “A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, as an internal-combustion engine.”

The dictionary specifically mentions the internal combustion engine as a type of motor.
The term for “engine” in other languages is actually “motor.” For example, if you translate the term “diesel engine” into German, you’ll notice that their word for it is “Dieselmotor.” Plus, if you look at any old advertising for American car companies at the turn of the 20th century, you’ll likely see the term “motor” used more often than “engine.” (Not to mention, we call a bicycle with an internal combustion engine a *motor*cycle).

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.
(from wordnet - PRINCETON University wordnetweb.princeton.edu )

In one of MIT’s “Ask An Engineer” columns entitled “What’s the difference between a motor and an engine?” the author talks with Mary Fuller, an MIT literature professor, about the history of the two terms. The story says “motor” comes from the Latin term movere, which means “to move,” and that—while it initially referred to the actual force causing something to move, it was later used in reference to “the person or device that moved something or caused movement.”
In the early 19th century, the meanings of motor and engine had already begun to converge, both referring to a mechanism providing propulsive force. “The first recorded use of ‘engine’ to mean an electrical machine driven by a petroleum motor occurs in 1853,” says Fuller.

So you have a motor in your car if it's gas, but you don't have an engine in your car if it's electric.
That's according to language experts and engineers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to have found my people. We get a chance, we are all drinking whiskey together.

Please remember...

Let's eat grandma!
and
Let's eat, grandma!

I wish I had saved some of my favorite headlines from the news, both print and online. Wow, you wonder - was that intentional, or did they fail intro to grammar?
One was a politician was supposedly warning that an appointee was going to fire someone in the agency, but it read like the politician was warning them TO fire that person.
"Joe Smith warns Sam to fire Jack"
Now the way I read that was that Joe was warning Sam that he should fire Jack.
But they really intended to say Joe was warning people that he was afraid Sam may fire Jack.
There are a lot worse out there - I should start saving links to my favorites. A simple word swap, leaving out a word, or incorrect punctuation can totally change the meaning of a sentence.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Holy moly. I love English lessons and what is most hilarious is some of the utterly confusing functions that can be combined in the English language. How about this one.

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Which, in all sadness, is grammatically correct and describes a response from James and John to a question from their English teacher where she was looking for the use of “had had” in a sentence. John only used “had” in his sentence and James used “had had”

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Holy moly. I love English lessons and what is most hilarious is some of the utterly confusing functions that can be combined in the English language. How about this one.

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Which, in all sadness, is grammatically correct and describes a response from James and John to a question from their English teacher where she was looking for the use of “had had” in a sentence. John only used “had” in his sentence and James used “had had”
What gets so many is that "had had" looks bad but is correct (in the cases you used). So many folks see it as redundant while it is not, and remove the second had.

I have a lot of fun with my Korean daughter in law when she gets some of our conversations messed up. Luke (my son) and I laugh - good thing she has a good sense of humor. She often gets us back later.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, let us go drink whiskey and forget about all this perfectly sensible nonsense.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Please remember...

Let's eat grandma!
and
Let's eat, grandma!

Had it not been for a certain virus - my wife and I were headed to Colorado Springs this June for a big car show. Sadly it was postponed so no trip to CO this year for us. Dang, we were going to take the JT on that trip. Was undecided about taking one of my cars on the trailer because I've taken it up as far as I care to in the judging/contests, so it may have been just us and the JT.
Bummer.
And she was actually looking forward to going out there.

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
Another way to spot a mall crawler
Perfectly rolled winch line :)
Nah man a clean and neat winch line is a happy winch line that won't bite or snap.
Especially the winches I deal with on my day to day a nice 15000# steel cabled and a 30000# synthetic.
Everytime after use the steel one gets layed out, scrubbed and a light coat of 0w10, synthetic one gets a nice water scrub, then both get rerolled tightly and neatly.
Taking care of your gear makes it so your gear takes care of you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nah man a clean and neat winch line is a happy winch line that won't bite or snap.
Especially the winches I deal with on my day to day a nice 15000# steel cabled and a 30000# synthetic.
Everytime after use the steel one gets layed out, scrubbed and a light coat of 0w10, synthetic one gets a nice water scrub, then both get rerolled tightly and neatly.
Taking care of your gear makes it so your gear takes care of you.
Agreed - when we ran wreckers in the 70s, the boss would literally bring his trucks back, unwind the cable and then roll it up nice and neat and orderly, even layers. A bad thing for a cable is the stress of being pulled over uneven layers. They get bent, kinked, and lose integrity.
Roll them up nice and evenly - like some factory machine did it. The cable will stay straight, no bends or kinks and will last longer if it's not rubbing and getting tangled. I know - rope isn't cable, but still, I'm OCD so if I end up with a winch, it will always look like it's never been unwound even after I pull a tree stump out with it. I can't STAND messy ropes or cables! When I roll up our garden hoses (all 250 feet of them) I roll them up in even layers, making sure the hose is snug on the reel, layer after layer. Looks like a factory job when I'm done - and I'm still using hoses 20+ years old.
Sponsored