Sponsored

HPFP Ticking Noise??? (NOPE "they think" it is the alternator clutch)

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My 2021 Ecodiesel has begun making this sound. I have narrowed it down to what I believe is the HPFP Bosch Pump. There is 11k miles on the engine. Thoughts anyone? It sounds very sporadic. Using a stethoscope I cannot hear the "tinny" ticking sound. Again your thoughts?

UPDATE: I had it at the Dealer, they installed a new Alternator. Still making the sound. They also ran the motor without the serpentine belt, NO NOISE, I asked if they could replace the belt and tensioner. They said no, not without taking it to the next level. And they did not want to do that because the service rep said the next level would send techs that will be looking for something I have modified on the Jeep to get out of paying for it under warranty. Like changing my diff covers to ARB ones could void the power train warranty. WHAT???

Anyway I was told to drive it and watch it. Just FYI.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
rchandler341

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took it to the dealer yesterday. After about 2 hours it was diagnosed as the clutch on the alternator. So they have overnighted a new alternator, belt, and tensioner just to make sure all the bases are covered. It is back in the shop this morning and going on the rack at 10:00am. They said it is about a 3 hour repair and will call me when done. So if you hear this weird noise, check your alternator, belt, and tensioner.

UPDATE: Under Warranty they can only replace what they think the issue is. Since they "think" it is the alternator, that is all they can replace even though they have a new belt and new tensioner. I asked them to replace all three and they said they can't without approval from Jeep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rchandler341

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is still making the same exact sound and I have just over 20k miles on it. No louder or quieter.

I recently had a friend just purchase a new JT Ecodiesel. I asked him to start his up, and it makes the exact same sound.
Just strange mine did not for a while. So I guess I have no issues! Cheers....

OP
OP
rchandler341

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Still making the same sound and over 36,000 miles. No issues at all with this rig.