Sponsored

I finally figured out what's bugging me about the looks of the soft top...

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
It takes me longer to zip up the bag for the freedom panels than it does to take them off.

It takes me longer than 5 minutes - but less than 20 - to get the rest of the top off and stored.

I would probably be interested in a "soft top" that is just a fabric cover with minimal parts for rigidity. I would only use it when it was raining and take it back off when it's not. No need for the linkages or a glass rear window.
Sponsored

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I removed the hard top enough times this season to know it would be just easier to buy the soft top which I found easily and cheaply on Kijiji. If I got caught in the rain, which can happen, with the hard top off then I would be screwed. With the soft top its a quick ten seconds.

I'm glad I bought even though it looks silly.
I know the feeling, I've been caught in more than one rain storm running naked. Good thing it's easy to pull the carpets.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
I have a Mopar bimini top and it really solves this problem. You get the best of both worlds. Another option is ordering a waterproof canvas off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZOC6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This works great. It can bungee easily with the front windshield option like sunshades, and is actually better quality and more sturdy. I live in Georgia and the rain is not really an issue.

That said, I recently traded my hardtop for a soft top and really prefer this option overall.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
It takes me longer to zip up the bag for the freedom panels than it does to take them off.

It takes me longer than 5 minutes - but less than 20 - to get the rest of the top off and stored.

I would probably be interested in a "soft top" that is just a fabric cover with minimal parts for rigidity. I would only use it when it was raining and take it back off when it's not. No need for the linkages or a glass rear window.
I recently traded my hardtop for a soft top and really prefer this option overall.

That said, I also have a Mopar bimini top and it really solves this problem that started this post. You get the best of both worlds.

Another option is ordering a waterproof canvas off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZOC6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This works great. It can bungee easily with the front windshield option like sunshades, and is actually better quality and more sturdy. I live in Georgia and the rain is not really an issue.

wry_whiskey

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Honestly the convince of it got me over it in the first time I opened it, really didn't care how it looked.

Now that rear window on the other hand is secretly the worst part. Such a pain to get than thing back in and store it when it is out. Don't get me wrong I am glad there are no zippers, but getting that bottom plastic tab in towards the middle is not fun.
Totally agree on the rear window being a pain to put back in, but also a pain to store. I've tried rolling it and putting that and the quarter panels in a tote in the bed, which works but worry leaving it that way for long (or rolling/unrolling many times a season) could beat it up pretty good.

I'm fine with the soft top as is - when I'm driving I don't have to look at it, and anyone driving by is only visually offended for a few seconds!

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Totally agree on the rear window being a pain to put back in, but also a pain to store. I've tried rolling it and putting that and the quarter panels in a tote in the bed, which works but worry leaving it that way for long (or rolling/unrolling many times a season) could beat it up pretty good.

I'm fine with the soft top as is - when I'm driving I don't have to look at it, and anyone driving by is only visually offended for a few seconds!
I agree no good option to store that thing.. I think maybe rolling it up and then a thicker cylinder type case would be the best option if someone made one.

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I agree no good option to store that thing.. I think maybe rolling it up and then a thicker cylinder type case would be the best option if someone made one.
I bought the storage bag for those pieces and just put it in the bed under the tonneau cover. Does the job and easy to get out and put back on if I need to do it quickly.
I know the back window comes with those snap wraps to roll it up and store it in place but I'm uneasy about rolling it that tightly!

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
I’m pretty sure the snap wraps are for the top, if They are the ones I’m thinking of, but I honestly think 2 different types of securing straps is just liability protection for FCA.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the storage bag for those pieces and just put it in the bed under the tonneau cover. Does the job and easy to get out and put back on if I need to do it quickly.
I know the back window comes with those snap wraps to roll it up and store it in place but I'm uneasy about rolling it that tightly!

I have the storage bag too and it's great. Works for summer use and makes a nice place to store it during the winter. You were correct to not use the straps for rolling the window up, All they do is crease and scratch the shit out of the window. I haven't even installed them in my last few Jeeps.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Never tried the roll up option, lost one of the clips before I knew what it was for. But I have seen a lot of comments saying don't roll it. I put it inside a felt sleeve I made with some fabric glue and it works ok. Would have gotten the bag, but it wasn't an option when I ordered, and I refuse to drop $150 on it. 75 maybe but 150 is just crazy.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
This was my first thought when seeing how the soft top folds back and wondering how it will perform on the highway.
Jeep Gladiator I finally figured out what's bugging me about the looks of the soft top... parachute-dragged-jeep-air-jeep-parachute-dragged-jeep-air-jeep-beach-111042264

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
This was my first thought when seeing how the soft top folds back and wondering how it will perform on the highway.
parachute-dragged-jeep-air-jeep-parachute-dragged-jeep-air-jeep-beach-111042264.jpg
I mean you’re not wrong, but the drag force of this thing is already like infinity.

TJ's JT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I bought a felt-lined table leaf storage bag off Amazon for $20 and it works perfectly. Just put it in the back under the tonneau cover. Love the convenience of this soft top! Wouldn't trade the 10 seconds to put it back for a different look.
Sponsored