First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I'm in a similar predicament with my Chief 'OhS**t' Bar Holder. She isn't a fan of bug-covered windshields.

Back in another life we installed the hood bug/wind deflectors with 1/2" self-tapping screws.

I haven't seen a deflector without a little flare at the trailing edge. There are "trail armor" pieces that look like they're more prone to rubbing the exterior and don't have a flare, but they're not bug deflectors.

I wish I could find a clear one. A clear one you can paint the backside the body color (or your trendy accent color of choice :D) and it blends a lot nicer.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
I also had the Bushwacker on my Sport and had mixed results. It did seem to raise the bug impact up (right into my sight line) but didn't see as much debris hit the windshield.

I removed it when I traded it in so just went out and placed it on the Mojave since someone asked about how it looks with the hood . There's no tape so it may look a bit unfinished!!
Jeep Gladiator I have been ordered to buy a "bug deflector" 20210616_093318

Jeep Gladiator I have been ordered to buy a "bug deflector" 20210616_093324

rdboyd

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1971 Jeep Cj5
Occupation
Product Development Engineer
I went with the Mopar version as I did not want to put adhesive on the hood. It does not require any drilling either, as it used fittings that insert into existing holes on the underside of the good for the screws to fasten to. I attached the bumpers to the bottom of the deflector instead of to the hood. I can see bugs hitting the air stream and flying up over the windshield if they are coming from the front. If they approach from sides or top, then all bets are off.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I just keep a can of Sprayway and a microfiber towel under the rear seat and clean as needed, in my experience the only type that really work at the near vertical ones that at 3”-4” tall at the front of the hood.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for starting the thread, I just ordered the Mopar one
I looked up pricing from some of the MOPAR parts sellers - printed a couple of examples of their on-line pricing and took with me while I picked up a special order cupboard door at Lowe's, shipped some restored parts at the post office, etc. and took a side trip to the closest Jeep dealer. I asked the guy about pricing and if they'd consider matching. He said they don't really do price matching, asked what I was looking for, looked up the part and then asked what numbers I had found. He thought a bit and actually came close enough for me. He had one in stock.

I went with the Mopar version as I did not want to put adhesive on the hood. It does not require any drilling either, as it used fittings that insert into existing holes on the underside of the good for the screws to fasten to. I attached the bumpers to the bottom of the deflector instead of to the hood. I can see bugs hitting the air stream and flying up over the windshield if they are coming from the front. If they approach from sides or top, then all bets are off.
Yeah, like deer, if they come from certain angles, there's no way they can miss you. I usually also put the pads/bumpers on the deflector and not the hood itself.
Nothing is perfect but if it reduces the numbers, makes at least half of them or so go over the top, fine.
I have been using Mothers 16719 Speed Foaming Bug and Tar Remover and one of those nylon windshield cleaning pads. Works well on Iowa bugs......... about the best I've tried to date.

I'll clean things up and install and and see.........
I also have to clean thousands of bugs off the grill, headlights, rear fenders, and mirrors, A pillars........ and thing that faced in the general direction we were going.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine today - forgot to get photos. It took forever to get the bugs from the front of the hood, from under the front edge of the hood, the top of the grill, I mean every little nook and cranny and crack is full of bugs. Have to clean it up before installing and it took as long or longer to clean than to install! LOOKS nice, we'll see how it works.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I installed mine today - forgot to get photos. It took forever to get the bugs from the front of the hood, from under the front edge of the hood, the top of the grill, I mean every little nook and cranny and crack is full of bugs. Have to clean it up before installing and it took as long or longer to clean than to install! LOOKS nice, we'll see how it works.
I wonder if you ceramic coated it if they would wipe off easier. I don't have any bug issues yet but my car is extremely slick from the ceramic coating I applied.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if you ceramic coated it if they would wipe off easier. I don't have any bug issues yet but my car is extremely slick from the ceramic coating I applied.
I have wondered. I've never had any dealings with it. As much as I hate buffing and waxing, etc. - I'd probably hire it done.

The Boss ....yep. You better listen.

What are you waiting for. 😁
Bought this AM - installed this afternoon.