Sponsored

Installed Clayton 3.5" and my steering wheel is so far off center

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
No amount of adjusting the drag link is re-centering it. I adjusted all my track bars and control arms to the recommended lengths. Will it be more centered after a proper alignment or do I need to unbolt the steering wheel to center it? :LOL:
Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Is the steering wheel unlocked? And you adjusted it by returning it the shortest distance and not by making a full turn with the wheel?
Not familiar with Clayton but you did not replace the pitman arm with the lift and get it off a tooth. Usually they are keyed with the splines so as to not get them off but never know.

OP
OP
Aberk

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the steering wheel unlocked? And you adjusted it by returning it the shortest distance and not by making a full turn with the wheel?
Not familiar with Clayton but you did not replace the pitman arm with the lift and get it off a tooth. Usually they are keyed with the splines so as to not get them off but never know.
Yes, its unlocked and I had a friend watch the wheel while I adjusted it so I dont think it was going the wrong direction.

Not pitman arm. Only adjustable parts are track bars and control arms.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Hmmm. Odd. I know that doesn't help but thats all I got for now.

Are you saying that you can not adjust enough to get it straight or that you can not get it straight after multiple tries?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Clayton Off Road Any Input.

Edit: Removed tag as it looks like its not needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aberk

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. Odd. I know that doesn't help but thats all I got for now.

Are you saying that you can not adjust enough to get it straight or that you can not get it straight after multiple tries?
This is as straight as I can get it. And the service stability light are all still on.

20200729_064600.jpg

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
What you are showing in the picture is the drag link is too short. Did you replace it with a longer adjustable drag link? I don’t know if this lift height requires this or not. So, try this:

Pay no attention to the steering wheel for a moment and focus on the position of the front wheels. Straighten the front wheels. Use the track bar adjuster to center the front axle. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel to the left or right until you hit the steering stop. Now turn it all the way to the other stop, carefully counting the number of turns lock to lock including any fractions of a turn. Turn the steering wheel back the other way exactly one half of the turns you counted. The steering wheel should be centered, but the wheels off to the left or right. Can’t say which as I don’t know how much adjustment you made previously.

Observe your front wheel position. If they are turned to the left, the drag link is too short. If to the right, the drag link is too long. Now center the steering wheel and adjust the drag link. If you run out of adjustment and the drag link is still to short, replace it. If you don’t, your steering box will not be centered while driving straight and it will wear out much faster. Good luck!

OP
OP
Aberk

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you are showing in the picture is the drag link is too short. Did you replace it with a longer adjustable drag link? I don’t know if this lift height requires this or not. So, try this:

Pay no attention to the steering wheel for a moment and focus on the position of the front wheels. Straighten the front wheels. Use the track bar adjuster to center the front axle. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel to the left or right until you hit the steering stop. Now turn it all the way to the other stop, carefully counting the number of turns lock to lock including any fractions of a turn. Turn the steering wheel back the other way exactly one half of the turns you counted. The steering wheel should be centered, but the wheels off to the left or right. Can’t say which as I don’t know how much adjustment you made previously.

Observe your front wheel position. If they are turned to the left, the drag link is too short. If to the right, the drag link is too long. Now center the steering wheel and adjust the drag link. If you run out of adjustment and the drag link is still to short, replace it. If you don’t, your steering box will not be centered while driving straight and it will wear out much faster. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a shot. I am having trouble believing I am the only person with a Clayton 3.5" kit that needs a new drag link as I have not seen or heard it mentioned in any of their videos or posts. I assume they'll respond to this thread when they open later today.

Sponsored

Canuck33

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Ever since I put on my 2 inch lift/level with metalcloak and had the same issue. An alignment fixed the steering wheel, but vehicle still pulls to the right when driving (not the road camber!). Haven't been able to fix it yet....very frustrating.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
wow...thanks

I was adjusting the tie rod, not the drag link...ugggggg:facepalm:
Dont feel bad... Adjusting the wrong this is the best possible outcome as it means no more $ outa pocket for the project.