Is a Gladiator right for me

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I am having a really hard time making a decision. I currently have a 2015 Ram 1500 98,000 miles.

I want a new vehicle. I have to have a truck. Want something more fun. My current truck is used as a truck every single day. I have a commercial cleaning business. I load equipment in the bed and tow a trailer a few times a week.

In the past I have always had another vehicle that has been a "Fun" car/toy. Currently I don't have that and want that, but a third vehicle is not possible at this time

The main reason for me wanting the Gladiator is it would be a truck (should fill most of my needs as a truck, but still some capabilty concerns) and it would be fun. I have never done any offroading, but I would like to start.

The hang up for me is that I can buy left over 2018 2500 Ram 2500s with the Cummins for $5000 less than a Gladiator with max tow. The Ram would be far more capable as a truck but no fun. The practical side of me tells me that it would be stupid to buy a Gladiator, but my heart wants one so bad!

Anyone work out of their trucks? Have any advice?
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
How are you using it as a truck? What type of loads? Trailer and tongue weight? The “on paper” numbers of the Gladiator appear to be great. But I’d be concerned if you are cross shopping a petrol V6 midsize truck and a diesel 2500.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't work from it but I can say that if it can handle your work needs effectively then I don't see why not. Life is too short outside that. I kept my F150 for the same reasons and now I never drive it.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
How are you using it as a truck? What type of loads? Trailer and tongue weight? The “on paper” numbers of the Gladiator appear to be great. But I’d be concerned if you are cross shopping a petrol V6 midsize truck and a diesel 2500.
Today I am towing a trailer with a cleaning machine. I am only towing around 4000 pounds. It is not unusual to have 1200ish lbs in the bed. A few times a year I will tow over 10,000 lbs, but I can borrow a truck for that.

5ft bed is a bit of a concern because I do have a 6+f ladder in the bed regularly, but I figured I could solve that with a ladder rack.

typically stay within the range of the Gladiator.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Will you be buying it through your company so that you can write it off?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I work out of my truck. I downsized from a Silverado 2500 that I drove for almost 14 years. The Gladiator just barely fits what I need to carry. The places I have needed a ladder, for several years now, have all had one on site. I really liked the Gladiator after I drove it, and figured out how to make it work. If it will work for you is something only you can decide.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I actually looked at the Ram 1500 and 2500 extensively before bringing my Gladiator home. While the pricing is less on the Rams, the resale is far lower, making the overall picture much less cut and dried. If you think you may only have the new truck for several years before getting another, the Gladiator actually comes out to be a better deal.

Aside from that, the Gladiator is effectively a "half-ton" truck (nearly 4 tons of towing and 0.75 ton payload) only in a smaller package. It'll do anything a Ram 1500 will do, as long as you have enough physical space to fit your tools and equipment in it.

There will also be a zillion bed accessories for the Gladiator within the next year. Racks, toppers, storage options, etc. The aftermarket is going to blow us up with bed accessories for work and play.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Power wagon might be your better buy

brocks364

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I’m actually trading in my 2012 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel on my Gladiator. I tow similarly to you. I’m not gonna miss a full-size truck one bit.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I work out of my truck. I downsized from a Silverado 2500 that I drove for almost 14 years. The Gladiator just barely fits what I need to carry. The places I have needed a ladder, for several years now, have all had one on site. I really liked the Gladiator after I drove it, and figured out how to make it work. If it will work for you is something only you can decide.
That is what I think too. There are times I have to make things work in my Ram, so I'm sure I will come up with things to make it work in a Gladiator.

I actually looked at the Ram 1500 and 2500 extensively before bringing my Gladiator home. While the pricing is less on the Rams, the resale is far lower, making the overall picture much less cut and dried. If you think you may only have the new truck for several years before getting another, the Gladiator actually comes out to be a better deal.

Aside from that, the Gladiator is effectively a "half-ton" truck (nearly 4 tons of towing and 0.75 ton payload) only in a smaller package. It'll do anything a Ram 1500 will do, as long as you have enough physical space to fit your tools and equipment in it.

There will also be a zillion bed accessories for the Gladiator within the next year. Racks, toppers, storage options, etc. The aftermarket is going to blow us up with bed accessories for work and play.
Resale is one of the main reasons I am considering the Gladiator and the 2500 Diesel. The 1500 has lost nearly 20k in the 4.5 years I've owned it. The 2500 stickers for 54k and selling for 41k. I think in the same 4-5 years it will be worth 25-30. The Gladiator should hold it's value similarly.

I’m actually trading in my 2012 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel on my Gladiator. I tow similarly to you. I’m not gonna miss a full-size truck one bit.
I work in downtown Nashville alot so parking the 1500 can be a pain. The 2500 would be even worse. I think the Gladiator would be better.

OP
OP
Clv22p

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I saw this on the interstate today. This is a pretty large trailer and the tags are from Rhode Island (I'm in Nashville,TN). So he definitely has towed a long way!

I sent him a message on Instagram and he said it's not quite enough truck for his needs. The wind resistance on the boutique puts quite the strain on the truck. He anticipates having to move up to a full size soon.

IMG_20190920_143506.jpg

Reactions: DHP

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
The 2500 would be the most capable work truck but you said that you want a fun toy that you could also use for work, the Gladiator fits that bill to a point. For your work there will be some compromises no question you need to figure if you can work within those compromises, if those compromises would only be a once in awhile occurrence than by all means get the Gladiator as it is a FUN truck.