Is taking the top off a two person job?

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I live in Florida. Taking top off and leaving it off isn't an option. I bought the back window storage bag just so I can take my back window with me for when it rains.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Florida. Taking top off and leaving it off isn't an option. I bought the back window storage bag just so I can take my back window with me for when it rains.
I live in Texas...I leave it off. Not sure what you mean.

Jdyowa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
Manager
I live in Florida and obviously the summer time has a lot of rain, but it's also hot as hell, so you don't really want it off anyway.
Now, I have a giant roof rack, so I am back to figuring out how to get it off. Won't fit in the garage.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have taken mine off and put it back on a few times solo now. There's been some trial and error, and a few scratches in the paint, but luckily I was able to wet sand them out. The bed cover definitely helps, but there are a few things I learned that you have to to to avoid damage. Its important to make sure all four doors are open put down a blanket to cover the bed sides.

I do it a little bit different than others methods I've seen posted. I open my tri fold soft cover as far as I can and I place a moving blanket on it and the bed floor as well.. I lift the top off to get it off of the locator pins and slide it onto the folded area of the cover and have that covered with another moving blanket so I don't scratch the bed sides. I lift it from there and turn it to put the back window down into the bottom of the bed. I slide the hard top back to the edge of the tailgate (on the moving blanket). Its pretty easy to lift it off from there and put it in my garage. I'm 6'1" and have long arms so that definitely helps.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I live in Florida and obviously the summer time has a lot of rain, but it's also hot as hell, so you don't really want it off anyway.
Now, I have a giant roof rack, so I am back to figuring out how to get it off. Won't fit in the garage.
Yep, I'm in Florida too. I cannot just leave the top off, as it'll be a swimming pool by the end of the day. I do almost everyday pop out the freedom panels for commute home.

It's too bad nobody has a frameless top out yet, like the Rampage, or the Bestop NX I have on my TJ (the NX has sunrider feature as well as full off or bikini style) Once that style top is out, I'll get one, and some soft doors, and roll with that.

Sponsored

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
My top and doors are Comin*off tomorrow for the first time.....no rain tomorrow or Wednesday....its worth the effort.......probably back on Wednesday evening.....

wyodirt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Secret stuff in secret locations
My top and doors are Comin*off tomorrow for the first time.....no rain tomorrow or Wednesday....its worth the effort.......probably back on Wednesday evening.....
yes, it is quite the great feeling. you'll be missing the freedom all winter

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Because its cold sometimes.. I wouldnt get a soft top for year round use where I am.
Or you live in AZ and it's the other side of the coin. It's too hot sometimes

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Another Arizonan here, there's no way I'd have the top off right now. It's still over 100 in the middle of the day.

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
It’s a one person job unless you aren’t very strong or have a medical condition or perhaps aren’t young anymore. I have a lift but this is an example of me not using it. Only weights like 50lbs.

Jeep Gladiator Is taking the top off a two person job? {filename}
Nice job

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Awkward more than heavy. But at my age with my back issues - even 50 pounds is more than I'm supposed to be lifting, especially in the manner it would take to remove the top by myself.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, my doctor would shit himself if I told him I was going to deal with leveraged weight like that. I can already feel the pain. One too many motorcycle crashes.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
yes, it is quite the great feeling. you'll be missing the freedom all winter
probably wont have thetop on much in the winter in SW Florida! .....We are just in our rainy season right now....damn near every day......a 2 day rainless window is rare this time of year.

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
My method for the top is to let the tailgate down, unbolt the top, then get in the back seat, lift the top over my head, step over the rear seats into the bed of the truck and hop down off the tailgate. Its not crazy heavy, definitely doable one person without a lift. Just make sure you don't land funny jumping off the tailgate and twist your ankles up.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
My method for the top is to let the tailgate down, unbolt the top, then get in the back seat, lift the top over my head, step over the rear seats into the bed of the truck and hop down off the tailgate. Its not crazy heavy, definitely doable one person without a lift. Just make sure you don't land funny jumping off the tailgate and twist your ankles up.
That sounds like a decent method. I’d just look for maybe a bucket or small step to exit the bed. Would hate to tell ppl I blew an acl taking my top off lol.
Sponsored