Sponsored

Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
There is a video somewhere around here where a guy swapped out all the halogen bulbs in the existing fixtures, (headlights, DRL's, turn signals, and fogs), with LED's for less than $100. Is there a problem I'm not seeing?
That depends. Have you read this thread from the beginning? There were some very vocal posts saying that just changing out the bulbs causes such things as hot spots, uneven patterns, blinding oncoming drivers etc.

Also vocal defenders, saying it can work well.

Me, I dunno, I'm still stuck with the halogens.
Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
That depends. Have you read this thread from the beginning? There were some very vocal posts saying that just changing out the bulbs causes such things as hot spots, uneven patterns, blinding oncoming drivers etc.

Also vocal defenders, saying it can work well.

Me, I dunno, I'm still stuck with the halogens.
Thanks, now I've read the entire thread. With one notable exception, it was a very informative and civilized discussion.

It appears that while the LED bulbs will never offer the performance of the OEM $ 1000 LED, they are a vast improvement over the factory halogens and, if properly installed and aimed, are not offensive to other drivers. Unless I get nit picky, I don't see an uneven pattern either. Just fairly steady, decent illumination.
It does appear that the LED bulb provides the same hot spot issue as the existing halogen which I already have.

Living in C-Bus, my main worry is from posters in Pittsburgh and Northern Ohio who have a problem with them in the snow.

I think it's worth $50 to me to find out.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
This is what i was able to do for about 1000.
Oracle 9 inch bi pods, oracle halo foglights, oracle led rear bumper lights, Rockin Led hoodlights, voswitch 300jl. Granted you have to install everything yourself but nothing needed to be flashed. You tell me which you would rather have? All these mods or just the mopar led package? Oracles have a very pronounced cut off line for their headlights. Never got highbeamed from opposing traffic with the headlights and foglights on.
Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 20210123_132847

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 20210123_145929

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 20210116_173107

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 20210123_150536

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
Haven't read through this entire thread, but I agonized over this very question back in October when I was getting ready to put my order in for my JT. This was back when FCA was just making the LED headlights an option for the Sport S models. I pretty much loaded up all the options on my order except for the adaptive cruise control and safety package. I purposely didn't want these options because of the cost/benefit ratio for me and the way I planned to use the JT. I did want to get LED headlights since everyone was saying how awful the halogens were. I didn't end up ordering them in the end. Mainly because for me, in order to get the LED's you were also required to order the safety package for another $995. So in reality, to get LED headlights, I was actually going to have to spend $2k to get them. Definitely not worth it when there are other quality solutions out there in the aftermarket for less than $1000.

Now that I have the JT and have been driving it for almost a month. I have to say the halogens aren't as "bad" as they were made out to be. Certainly not as bright as the LED's but they are more than adequate even in the twisty mountain roads that I travel back and forth many times at night.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't read through this entire thread, but I agonized over this very question back in October when I was getting ready to put my order in for my JT. This was back when FCA was just making the LED headlights an option for the Sport S models. I pretty much loaded up all the options on my order except for the adaptive cruise control and safety package. I purposely didn't want these options because of the cost/benefit ratio for me and the way I planned to use the JT. I did want to get LED headlights since everyone was saying how awful the halogens were. I didn't end up ordering them in the end. Mainly because for me, in order to get the LED's you were also required to order the safety package for another $995. So in reality, to get LED headlights, I was actually going to have to spend $2k to get them. Definitely not worth it when there are other quality solutions out there in the aftermarket for less than $1000.

Now that I have the JT and have been driving it for almost a month. I have to say the halogens aren't as "bad" as they were made out to be. Certainly not as bright as the LED's but they are more than adequate even in the twisty mountain roads that I travel back and forth many times at night.
Light quality is definitely a subjective thing. Ive always been okay with halogen lights and didn’t mind the oem ones. After my wife got a Cherokee with LEDs I decided to give them a shot. The led bulb replacements made a huge difference...a difference i didnt know existed until i tried em’.

if i had stuck with oem halogen ignorance would have been bliss and id have never known. Now i do and don’t want to go back lol

im also vein so if i install a bumper with mopar leds ill want my headlights to also be true leds

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
I originally with with these bulbs in the halogen headlights. I did need to use the rubber gaskets from the OEM bulbs in addition to the gasket that came on the LED bulbs for a good tight fit. I was able to get them adjusted well and they were a big improvement over the halogen bulbs. Someone had posted that getting an LED bulb that had the arrays offset to mimic the halogen filaments would improve the light dispersion. I think I would pay more attention to that detail when doing it next time.

Based on this thread I decided to get the OEM LED headlights and install them. I don't think they were a $700 improvement over just using the LED bulbs. They are certainly very nice and I'll be able to recoup some of my money by pulling them out if I ever decide to get rid of this Jeep.

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
Yes. Best factory lights I've ever experienced

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
As someone who is in the middle of replacing the lousy factory halogens with LEDs, trust me, if you can get factory LEDs without a bunch of other crap added on, DO IT! I may end up spending a bit under a grand on all the replacements but when you factor in time it’s a no brained to get the factory LEDs

Last edited:

J Sierra

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just had mine done at the dealer where I bought the Jeep. The $940 for the Mopar led head lights and 2 hours labor $290 I think is well worth it. Your safety at night depends on your head lights.

IMG_1130.JPG

Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
In my opinion for what any of us that don’t have the led option.... if you spend $1000 and get headlight, fog, tail and fender lights, I couldn’t buy all those for anywhere near that price if I were to buy oem, and if you didn’t like them sell them and you could get your investment back, if not make money on it...

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Thanks, now I've read the entire thread. With one notable exception, it was a very informative and civilized discussion.

It appears that while the LED bulbs will never offer the performance of the OEM $ 1000 LED, they are a vast improvement over the factory halogens and, if properly installed and aimed, are not offensive to other drivers. Unless I get nit picky, I don't see an uneven pattern either. Just fairly steady, decent illumination.
It does appear that the LED bulb provides the same hot spot issue as the existing halogen which I already have.

Living in C-Bus, my main worry is from posters in Pittsburgh and Northern Ohio who have a problem with them in the snow.

I think it's worth $50 to me to find out.
I would call the LED bulb replacement "gooder" it made the lights on the JT usable. Stock they were so bad I am not sure why they were on, I drive some very dark wooded roads, and refuse to be the asshat blaring my high beams everywhere.

After a year or so though I ended up going with the oracle because I wanted slightly more output without having to bolt on extra crap to the JT. They accomplished that.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I would call the LED bulb replacement "gooder" it made the lights on the JT usable. Stock they were so bad I am not sure why they were on, I drive some very dark wooded roads, and refuse to be the asshat blaring my high beams everywhere.

After a year or so though I ended up going with the oracle because I wanted slightly more output without having to bolt on extra crap to the JT. They accomplished that.
Which oracle? The oculus?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Which oracle? The oculus?
Yep those are what I got. They put out such a better clean amount of light. Also got their fogs and they give a nice wide view.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Are we also factoring in the cost to replace the halogen tail light housing with the LED tail light housing?
Sponsored