Is there away to test aux battery with out pulling it

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Is there a way to test the aux battery without pulling it. I want to have autozone test
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
One of the leads to main battery(-) is from the aux battery and I believe one of the red leads to the power box is aux battery(+). You can tap those two and likely do some testing but you'll need to pull a diagram to determine which two.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
So it’s best to just pull the aux battery out to have it tested ?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Best, yes. Easiest, no. It's always better to test batteries directly than through wire but not by any measure that matters (assuming the wire is fat enough which these definitely are) and it's probably an hour to get out and back in assuming you know what you're doing and if you screw up in removing the power distribution box, it's going to get really expensive really quick.

From what I can tell, the aux(+) connects to N1 and N3 on the power distribution box... those would be the first and third most forward terminals but I believe they have the numbers stamped on them. The aux(-) terminal I believe connects to the post hanging off the main(-) terminal. If you disconnect all of those, you should be able to test via the leads in about 5 mins of work.

rubiusgladius

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
It depends on where the power control relay is in its position. Whether it has the aux battery in the loop or not. Have to pull it. Also I wouldn’t do a load test through the PCR. Just maybe a voltage check.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you are having electrical gremlins and suspect it is because one of the batteries is not keeping charge, check the main battery and rule it out. Then you will know it is the auxiliary battery causing the problems.

If the main battery is in its last leg, I’d replace both batteries in one pass.

There’s no point in going through the trouble of removing the auxiliary battery, testing it and putting it back in. Once you have it out, might as well go ahead and replace it.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Disconnect both cables from the main battery negative terminal. One of those cables will be the body ground, the other connects to the aux battery ground. Then you can connect the battery tester to the main battery positive and the disconnected aux battery ground to test the aux battery.
Sponsored