Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
I replaced my aux battery before it became an issue. Kept the system in place but got a die hard battery to replace the stock aux battery. I tested the aux battery after I took it out and it was fine but better safe than sorry. Not many after market aux battery replacement options out here.
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I get the perpetual message about the system not being ready as well. So now I have an appointment for tomorrow for them to look at it for me. I'll see what they say and report back.

slim chance

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi JTA, 23 Ram Laramie 1500, 21 Nacho JTF
Occupation
retired
dealer charged mine for 2 hrs while i waited. then did a load test on both batteries . ... aux battery failed, dealer ordered a new aux battery .. he said he gets a shipment of batteries every wednesday for replacements ... no problems since new aux battery

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dealer charged mine for 2 hrs while i waited. then did a load test on both batteries . ... aux battery failed, dealer ordered a new aux battery .. he said he gets a shipment of batteries every wednesday for replacements ... no problems since new aux battery
May be doing that to mine, he def said at least 2 hrs lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Got a call - dealership running way behind. Sounds like they have only one person that does this sort of work, wants to keep my truck another day. That's fine, I've got no place to go and it's cold, windy and rainy.
Talked to the guy at length - short staffed, fewer people working than a couple of years ago and have a dozen or more vehicles sitting waiting for parts.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a call - dealership running way behind. Sounds like they have only one person that does this sort of work, wants to keep my truck another day. That's fine, I've got no place to go and it's cold, windy and rainy.
Talked to the guy at length - short staffed, fewer people working than a couple of years ago and have a dozen or more vehicles sitting waiting for parts.
Perhaps he's behind because people sit and talk to him at length about things :P

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps he's behind because people sit and talk to him at length about things :P
I was talking to the service advisor - not the guys doing the work.
They were actually fully staffed for the service advisors out front.
They had a couple of new hires.
Now they need another tech (or 3) doing the work.
They have a huge new collision center that was just finished and business over in that building looked brisk (but then it's Iowa, those shops are always swamped after winter)

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
After not working for almost a year, it started working this weekend. Soon as the truck warms up, it's ready and it works. Irritating.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quasi-update: I'm in a loaner Wrangler Unlimited Willy's right now. They told me around 1pm it would be about 2 hours. Around 3 the guy came to get me and said it would be longer and asked me if I wanted a loaner (thanks Jeep Wave). I got it and went back in at 5 before they closed. He said they showed it at 44% when I brought it in and were still draining the batteries. He will call me this morning after they charge them and see the voltages and battery health.

As a side note, I've been oversteering in the Wrangler. It's the exact same for what I see in my FoV and I'm not used to compensating for the overall length of my truck. Nothing big, just mildly amusing. The 4 cyl is a nice engine, I'm getting quite a bit better mileage out of it than my 3.6. I realize the Gladiator is heavier, just a point of comparison. I've been doing about 20mpg in my JT, the JL I'm averaging 23+ (both according to trip computer only). It is peppy and gets up to speed better and with less stress.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So apparently a connecting cable for some battery sensor was loose. They drained it over night and charged it today fully and it still read 44%. They unplugged and re-plugged the cable and it showed 100%. My ESS worked all the way home :) I have no idea what cable it was.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So apparently a connecting cable for some battery sensor was loose. They drained it over night and charged it today fully and it still read 44%. They unplugged and re-plugged the cable and it showed 100%. My ESS worked all the way home :) I have no idea what cable it was.
Probably the small connector that goes to the PCM, etc. LIN bus, to provide the live and stored information to the PCM.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
So an update from me. I noticed that after my third battery charge (a rapid charge by the dealer and two trickle charges by me) the battery voltage wasn't dropping off as fast. And on Saturday (three days after the last trickle charge and the first time driving since then) the not ready battery charging message was gone and stop/start also worked.
I still don't have a lot of trust in the battery being good, that seems like a lot of effort to charge a battery that the Jeep should be doing itself.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my ESS journey ... System worked without issue for the first 18 months before the "Battery Charging" message appeared. I removed both batteries and found that the AUX was bad. I replaced the AUX and at the same time upgraded to an Odyssey 48-720. 4 months passed and the "Battery Charging" message reappeared. I removed both batteries once again assuming it was the AUX, but actually discovered the problem this time was with the Odyssey. (Props to Odyssey on warranting the bad battery in a expedient manner) I suppose I could have or should have tested the Odyssey first, but in my defense the AUX still needed to be tested and we all have to love how Jeep buried this damn thing in the bowels of the engine compartment.

Now with almost 4 yrs of ESS disdain in both the JL and JT forums I question the need of the AUX for MY use and have concluded that for me it is more of a liability. I have recently chosen to delete the AUX battery completely and rewired based on how the Genesis system is wired by disconnecting the ground and running the AUX positive to the primary battery. This accomplished the same as the N1 to N2 jumper, but I wanted the AUX gone. The vehicle and systems have been working just fine ever since. The ESS system does have a 6 cycle limit and then the ESS light will activate, but it resets at vehicle restart. I might still purchase an ESS eliminator plug. (I don't need a Tazer) I am now more confident that I will be able to jump start using a jump pack that is always in the vehicle. Yes, a problem could still exist deeper in the system, but I feel this removes the possibility of the AUX itself making the system inoperable, not to again mention the issue of access.

If I find down the road that I need more amp/hr capacity I will look at installing a Genesis dual battery system.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine worked again for a day or so then nothing since. It's currently back at the dealer and I'm in the Wrangler loaner again. The girls up there treat me great though, So I got the MySky one and had it open on my drive home yesterday :)

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Here's my ESS journey ... System worked without issue for the first 18 months before the "Battery Charging" message appeared. I removed both batteries and found that the AUX was bad. I replaced the AUX and at the same time upgraded to an Odyssey 48-720. 4 months passed and the "Battery Charging" message reappeared. I removed both batteries once again assuming it was the AUX, but actually discovered the problem this time was with the Odyssey. (Props to Odyssey on warranting the bad battery in a expedient manner) I suppose I could have or should have tested the Odyssey first, but in my defense the AUX still needed to be tested and we all have to love how Jeep buried this damn thing in the bowels of the engine compartment.

Now with almost 4 yrs of ESS disdain in both the JL and JT forums I question the need of the AUX for MY use and have concluded that for me it is more of a liability. I have recently chosen to delete the AUX battery completely and rewired based on how the Genesis system is wired by disconnecting the ground and running the AUX positive to the primary battery. This accomplished the same as the N1 to N2 jumper, but I wanted the AUX gone. The vehicle and systems have been working just fine ever since. The ESS system does have a 6 cycle limit and then the ESS light will activate, but it resets at vehicle restart. I might still purchase an ESS eliminator plug. (I don't need a Tazer) I am now more confident that I will be able to jump start using a jump pack that is always in the vehicle. Yes, a problem could still exist deeper in the system, but I feel this removes the possibility of the AUX itself making the system inoperable, not to again mention the issue of access.

If I find down the road that I need more amp/hr capacity I will look at installing a Genesis dual battery system.
That is what sucked when my system went down I couldn't jump start it. Luckily my gave out the day before I was supposed to leave on my kayak trip which would have left me in a place with no access to charging, etc. I keep a jump start pack in my truck but it was of no use since the AUX battery died. I may eventually move to the Genesis system simply because that made me uncomfortable that my truck just became useless over the AUX battery
Sponsored