First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I went in this morning and explained that my ESS system was reporting “not ready - battery charging” from late October through mid-May.

I explained that in that period I made several visits to two dealerships as well as calls to @JeepCares, but no one ever went any further than replacing my battery sensor.

I explained that I went away for a three week trip in early May while the ESS was still reporting “battery charging” and since the dealership technicians told me I need to drive it “more frequently” to maintain the batteries, I fully assumed my truck would not start after sitting for three weeks. I told them, I thought it was a miracle that it unlocked and started, and I was even more shocked that ESS kicked in at the first intersection after less than a minute of driving (after sitting for three weeks and it reporting “battery charging” for nearly six months).

I told them I think the batteries just won’t work properly in “light jacket weather” (around here, late October to mid-May is always below 50-degrees).

I told them that I had already completely given up on any idea that the dealership or @JeepCares would assist, since I spent the better part of six months on the phone and at dealerships, doing their GR8 battery diagnostics and charging via battery tenders. I told them I had already ordered a Cascadia 4x4 solar panel and would be installing it soon. If the system hadn’t just started working, making me believe these batteries just have some sort of ambient temperature issue, I wouldn’t have bothered coming in for another visit.

I told them I really just want my batteries replaced.

The service manager said he couldn’t replace anything without a failure code from GR8.

I asked if he would do a load test, he said that is what their GR8 test always does.

I told him I would not repeat the same tests because I do not expect different results, particularly now that the weather is warm and the ESS system is not reporting “battery charging”.

I asked him how I can just get my batteries replaced.

He said to contact @JeepCares.

I told him I had, and that they are very pleasant people with very pleasant voices and seem to care, but do not seem to be able to simply get my batteries replaced.

I told him I expected @JeepCares to be able to assist with warranty service as I was in a predicament in which I had ongoing symptoms which should be covered by one of my warranties, but did not yield a failure code for the technicians to use; I told him I was surprised to be wrong about that.

I shared with him that I previously had brand confidence in Jeep/FCA, but as this is my first attempt at warranty service on a Jeep/FCA brand vehicle, I no longer have brand confidence that they will support their products or services.

He offered again to check it in for GR8 testing. I told him I would not engage in the loop of wasting my time with tests that can’t determine my batteries won’t work in “light jacket weather”.

I don’t mean to criticize @JeepCares, but they have been given ample opportunity to address my concerns, and have done nothing for my battery issues other than attempt to make me a service visit (but provide no contextual information to the dealership)—my Jeep app can do that. If the dealership needs some sort of code approval to replace parts, I don’t see why Jeep/FCA can’t just issue them some sort of customer service code in my behalf to assist.

Oh well, I’m officially done with hoping FCA would just support the spirit of their warranty and address a warrantable symptom I’ve been experiencing. I really can’t believe how much time I have wasted to get absolutely nowhere. I hope the Cascadia 4x4 solar thing works—if it doesn’t play well with my faulty batteries, that’ll just be more wasted $$$.
We're very sorry to hear of these concerns, Delhux. As you stated you contacted Jeep Cares already, do you have a case number we can dig in to? Send our team a private message with more details and include that number so we can assist!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Jeepfreak22

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just got back from a 800 mile trip and this morning the ess light came on. Took the wife shopping with a few stops and 4 restarts and it’s still on. JTR has 26000 miles and bought by me 2 years ago. I really don’t want to take it in, so any suggestions as where to start troubleshooting? Just want to add we went 220 miles yesterday without stopping, so I would think the batteries would be at full charge.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Just got back from a 800 mile trip and this morning the ess light came on. Took the wife shopping with a few stops and 4 restarts and it’s still on. JTR has 26000 miles and bought by me 2 years ago. I really don’t want to take it in, so any suggestions as where to start troubleshooting? Just want to add we went 220 miles yesterday without stopping, so I would think the batteries would be at full charge.
What’s the specific error message on the dash?

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks . I was pretty sure that was going to be the suggestion.
Check the two plunger switches near the radiator and make sure they are properly seated. I'm guessing the ESS battery needs replaced and is not passing the test at startup.

OP
OP
Rainman519

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Dealer visit for sure. Aux battery needs replaced.

Sponsored

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
@Jeepfreak22 dealer replaced both of my batteries…not just the aux. perhaps mine had more issues?!
My ESS would not charge and ESS was not available. Took it in to have the AUX battery checked and dealer replaced it and the main battery also. No problems since. Dealer said my main was also bad.
Dave

Jeepfreak22

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
They said the main battery was fine. I did notice that before dealer visit that it was charging at 14.2 v and after charging at 13.6. So I think all is good now.
Sponsored