John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I drove to visit my daughter over Christmas. It was about 3 hours of driving. I get to her town and start stop starts working. it worked all week and when I got home. Over the next week it would say still;; charging for longer and longer periods of time until now it says it all the time. It's at the dealer right now for a E-brake problem and I told him to fix this battery shit while you are on it. They gave me a ride back to work and we will see.
Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
The 2020 Gladiator with 17k miles was last driven two days ago (when the dealer charged the battery) and it reads 12.0 at rest on the dash. I compared it to the 2019 (not Grand) Cherokee (54k miles, driven last night) and it shows 12.1 and it backlights that screen in red so the Cherokee obviously thinks there must be an issue though the stop/start is working there.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
The 2020 Gladiator with 17k miles was last driven two days ago (when the dealer charged the battery) and it reads 12.0 at rest on the dash. I compared it to the 2019 (not Grand) Cherokee (54k miles, driven last night) and it shows 12.1 and it backlights that screen in red so the Cherokee obviously thinks there must be an issue though the stop/start is working there.
The Cherokee may have different thresholds since it's a single battery system instead of a two battery system like the Gladiator. Both voltages are too low.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Cherokee may have different thresholds since it's a single battery system instead of a two battery system like the Gladiator. Both voltages are too low.
Cherokee must be too small to fit two batteries! Grand Cherokee (WK2 platform) is the same as Gladiator, dual-batteries.
And yes, a fully charged battery with any surface charge removed should sit at at least 12.6 volts. Some AGM appear (from what I can find) to be 12.7 volts.
12.5 or lower is, IMO, too low.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Cherokee must be too small to fit two batteries! Grand Cherokee (WK2 platform) is the same as Gladiator, dual-batteries.
And yes, a fully charged battery with any surface charge removed should sit at at least 12.6 volts. Some AGM appear (from what I can find) to be 12.7 volts.
12.5 or lower is, IMO, too low.
The new Cherokee came out with the original Jeep ESS system and it had a single battery. I think too many batteries were dying during the auto stop restart and stranding people in traffic so the two battery system was developed but never retrofitted to the Cherokee.

Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New question. I'm not an expert on electronics by any means.
If I put a trickle charger on my Gladiator's battery terminal (on the terminals by the main battery) and leave it attached until the trickle charger indicates a full charge, am I charging only the main battery or does this charge both main and aux?
Or do I need to do something special to charge the aux?

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
If I put a trickle charger on my Gladiator's battery terminal (on the terminals by the main battery) and leave it attached until the trickle charger indicates a full charge, am I charging only the main battery or does this charge both main and aux?
Also not an expert, when you do this will you leave the battery hooked up to everything else while it sits in the vehicle?

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also not an expert, when you do this will you leave the battery hooked up to everything else while it sits in the vehicle?
Yep, left it all wired up and put the charger on it.
Dealer had previously told me my driving habits were not keeping everything charged but I suspect a bad battery and wanted to see what happens if I charge the battery myself.

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
Yep, left it all wired up and put the charger on it.
Dealer had previously told me my driving habits were not keeping everything charged but I suspect a bad battery and wanted to see what happens if I charge the battery myself.
How did it work out? Did it charge everything? Any issues?

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did it work out? Did it charge everything? Any issues?
After charging, I still get the stop/start not ready battery charging message. I'm still under warranty and hope to convince the dealer I need new batteries.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It charges both. The proof is in the fact that when I charge mine, or when my wife's had issues and I put the charger on hers, the ESS worked as quick as the engine was up to temperature, no indications of it waiting for anything else and it worked all that day.

These seem to isolate batteries only when the ESS is actively working with the engine stopped.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
After charging, I still get the stop/start not ready battery charging message. I'm still under warranty and hope to convince the dealer I need new batteries.
Have them reset or replace the Intelligent Battery Sensor. The sensor and failing batteries are the leading causes for the battery charging message.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tell them that, but make sure you are using a charger made for AGM batteries. Other chargers may not get these totally to 100% charge. Some will, some won't, but best to use a charger that at least has an AGM setting or capability.
Then drive the truck to them and take a pic of the screen showing "......not ready battery charging" message on the cluster when you arrive. Explain you charged the batteries, drove it, and it's still not ready.
It also appears some have had the IBS reset to help resolve issues as well.

EDIT: while typing this line about the IBS I see Mr_Bill had the same idea...

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I had my charger set to AGM.
And the voltage drops to 12.0 or below pretty quickly after the charger is removed. So my uninformed opinion is a bad battery (or batteries).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I had my charger set to AGM.
And the voltage drops to 12.0 or below pretty quickly after the charger is removed. So my uninformed opinion is a bad battery (or batteries).
I'd bump you up from uninformed to at least partially informed ;-)

That's just too much drop too fast.
Sponsored