Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd agree - especially on switching wheels out. I think I mentioned before weird vibrations that come and go, disappear at speeds over about 70 or 75, that sort of thing, can be wheel runout. And no, as I've found, most shops don't bother checking for that - I've had multiple shops do balancing, even on the car balancing and they never caught the wheel runout I found later myself.
Having my Eagle wheels remachined took care of the problem. One wheel was found that was like it was squeezed from top to bottom, making it slightly out of round. The tire runout at the tread was ok. Makes me think the wheel at one point hit a REALLY HARD hole or a curb head-on at some point.
Do check all bolts and nuts for proper torque.........
Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
@XJ2JTChris @iblowatsports I'm pretty sure I have my dealership talked into pulling axle shafts to roll em for balance and center. Then will look into the TC. This won't happen until I go in for 1st oil change at 7500, and I'm only 4300 now. If I get any results, I'll post up for ya. I know mine isn't wheels or tires. I've had the 55-60 harmonic vibe since day one, and I put on new wheels and tires at 500 miles. Just wanted to let you know that this is still getting looked at, don't give up. It ain't right, IDC what FCA tells you

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Checking rear driveshaft for my 82 Eagle after rebuilding it....... checking for true, balance.................
sx4-driveshaft_3618.jpg

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
@XJ2JTChris @iblowatsports I'm pretty sure I have my dealership talked into pulling axle shafts to roll em for balance and center. Then will look into the TC. This won't happen until I go in for 1st oil change at 7500, and I'm only 4300 now. If I get any results, I'll post up for ya. I know mine isn't wheels or tires. I've had the 55-60 harmonic vibe since day one, and I put on new wheels and tires at 500 miles. Just wanted to let you know that this is still getting looked at, don't give up. It ain't right, IDC what FCA tells you
Wheels may be fine but you might check runout on your hubs to make sure they are true.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Hi all, i just took delivery of my JT sport S with max tow and auto trans with hard top yesterday. Had a 300 mile ride to drive it home and get familiar with things. I have 3 obvious issues to report, looking for any input before i begin the god awful process of bouncing from service dept to service dept and hearing the "thats normal" bullsh*t from the tech.

1. Transmission downshifts when i brake lightly, surging rpm and making my passengers and my own head jerk forward through each gear, furthermore, in traffic at low speeds during the low gears downshift, it shudders like I'm driving over a rumble strip.
2. Between 55mph and 62mph, there is a very obnoxious vibe. From my lifted xj experience, its a bass sounding vibe that is heard 100% easily, but I not necessarily felt easily. Enough to make myself and passengers complain that it was giving us all a headache. Didn't occur in any of the 5 other JTs i test drove.
3. Compass is 100% backwards. And glitches to several different directions while traveling in the same direction. During my ride up the east coast, (NORTH) it would say south for the most part, with random changes to all directions even while going straight down the road.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated before i hit the service dept. Sooo frustrating to have issues with a brand new rig that costs this much.
How many miles were on your Gladiator when you noticed the issues #1 and #2 and how many miles are on it now?

For what it's worth, may not be the same issues your dealing with but I had very similar issues with shifting and the vibration between 55 and 65 MPH.

As for the vibration,
I had my Stock Gladiator Sport wheels and tires swapped for some Gladiator Rubicon take off's.
They had to rebalance them 3 times before they were able to finally get rid of the vibration.
It was very annoying, sounded like buffering and a vibration.
After about a month I had them install MileStar Patagonia 35" tires and the vibration came back.
They had to wipe out the calibration on their balancing machine, recalibrate it, and then rebalance the tires again and vibration went away.
Seems like these trucks are real picky about wheel balancing.

As for the shifting,
My truck had very random hard shifts until I put about 4000 miles on it and it is now pretty much normal.
I recently noticed that if there is some weight in the bed of the truck, it rides allot smoother.

Hope you get your issues worked out soon, will be watching for your updates.

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Welp, sorry guys. Had my 1st oil change and look into my harmonic hum/vibration. Unfortunately, the tech "could not duplicate the issue." So, they didn't proceed to investigate w/o cause. Service manager said, if it breaks we'll know what to fix. Lol. Also, even more mysterious, I too could not duplicate the vibration on my 25min drive home. Sooooo, did they do something? Idk but I'm sure it will come back, just to annoy the crap outta me.

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Interesting stuff with these trucks. Glad to hear your vibes seemed to disappear. Maybe they did, or maybe you just happened to hit the point that my truck apparently recently hit. I have about 5500 on mine now. Including one trip to get beat on at Rausch creek. I can barely hear any highway vibes now. Did a tight joint just get worn in so it's smoother, or am I the sound version of "nose blind" like when you get used to a bad smell in the room....hahahaha. Either way, my update as follows:

Just dropped my truck off at a different service dept today in hopes they are more competent than the last one I started with. I mentioned the vibe and abrupt shifts, but told them the vibe is minimal so don't bother pursuing, just want to have it known just in case they do see a possible issue, same for the trans downshifts....appears to still jerk heads, but only when braking going down slight inclines. Poor design/computer control i suppose, again told them not to pursue it unless there is a computer flash or something.

The problems i did want them to address i have three videos recording the EASILY heard sounds, all which can be duplicated readily and easily.

1. squeaking front passenger side bushing
2. what sounds like a marble rolling around in my dashboard
3. something in the serpentine belt/pulley areas sounds like an intermittent rattle snake is in the engine bay.
4. radio has popped and shut down/rebooted twice now since new.

So far they called after only 2 hours, found a bolt rolling around in the dashboard....i wonder where it's from or what is not properly fastened as a result?
during spring spacer install, i snapped the damn brake line bolt that is welded to the outboard side of the lower control arm, so i temporarily used u-bolts to secure the brake line to the arm until i decide what arms to buy....they claimed that was the bushing squeak i thought i heard (u-bolt was supposedly contacting another component). I said regardless of that(which i checked for clearance several times and never heard any noise from that area) no, watch the video that i recorded months ago (prior to installing those temporary u-bolts 1 week ago) you can clearly hear the sound as i simply rocked the truck back and forth by hand, coming from the passenger side front of the truck, the u-bolts were installed on the driver side LCA. So we are currently waiting on a response, but that kind of shot down my hopes if that's their answer to what should be a simple squeaking bushing. Fingers crossed and will update later on the shorting radio and pulley sound.

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Just for laughs....they lubricated the bushings and torqued suspension components front and rear. Squeak remains. Can anyone else rock their truck back and forth and get a very loud and obvious creaking/squeaking noise as it rocks back and forth? I'm starting to worry that it may be something a bit more serious than just a bushing....I don't understand how a service dept can't pinpoint and solve such an obvious problem, and I wouldn't pursue it if every other Jeep did it, but I believe the majority don't have this issue.

2. They found a screw/bolt rolling around in the lower part of the dashboard. When i asked what the bolt belongs too, they shrugged and couldn't say. Understandable, but it makes me wonder what component inside the dash is not properly assembled now?

3. Replaced idler pulley. Noise gone!

4. Radio flashed with updated software, not quite sure how true that is since i dind't have to reprogram saved radio stations or clock, but here's hoping!

Take care everyone. I'm going to stop checking into this forum section, everyone else's issues are making me paranoid! hahaha Good luck!

Marcelglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Driver
No news yet. I worked half a day and dropped it off around 1pm. I prepared myself to not hear a peep at least until Monday. I'll definitely post up when I get their ideas or solutions.
hey mate, did you have the vibration/noise fixed with your gladiator?
I just got mine 2 months old and started doing it.

what was the problem?
Thanks

JacobD177

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKS
Occupation
GIS
Has anyone figured out what the noise/vibration is between 60 and 70? I have it and it may be the most annoying thing about the truck.

Sponsored

Whiskerbiscuit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Ford Flex
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I'm having this issue too.

Sport s

Thrumming sound at 65mph.

Has anyone figured this out..

Balance, road force balance, changed tires and wheels, replaced transfer case.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I'm having this issue too.

Sport s

Thrumming sound at 65mph.

Has anyone figured this out..

Balance, road force balance, changed tires and wheels, replaced transfer case.
Open the back windows an inch or so to equalize the pressure when the front windows are open and the thrumming should go away.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Open the back windows an inch or so to equalize the pressure when the front windows are open and the thrumming should go away.
Heck, we've had that sound with Grand Cherokees, Camaros, among other vehicles. Front only open makes the cabin into a big wind scoop and pressure builds until it finds a way out, like flexing something, then the process starts again - the "thrumming" or buffeting sound. Not uncommon among certain vehicles.

Whiskerbiscuit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Ford Flex
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
My noise is present when all windows are closed.
Sponsored