Sponsored

It's that pesky weight thing again

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I was going to say lose the weight, but if it only needs to run for less than half a year, the overweight would not be a problem, for me.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Speaking as someone very critical of overloading, the real numbers you need to pay attention to are the GAWR, not GVWR. GVWR is always underrated for padding and simplifying things for the end user so as long as you aren't exceeding axle weights (and keep a bit of padding there yourself to compensate for stresses with larger tires) you should be fine.

OP
OP

Kch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon,1932 ford sedan,1932 ford coupe,1931 ford sedan,1959 Olds custom1959 Olds custom
Brothers and Sisters,

Let it be known that this is the rig to which we are referring (reposting on behalf of KCH): Ridgeline, thanks for posting the pics.
20210322_185442.jpg

20210322_185500.jpg
20210322_185512.jpg

20210322_185535.jpg

20210322_190021.jpg

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Brothers and Sisters,

Let it be known that this is the rig to which we are referring (reposting on behalf of KCH):
20210322_185442.jpg

20210322_185500.jpg
20210322_185512.jpg

20210322_185535.jpg

20210322_190021.jpg
Really great build there K. Enjoy all the time you have with this and I hope that it is a long time. Prayers bro.

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Hey man, first off I wanted to say sorry about your diagnosis. That is unfortunate to say the least but I think you are handling it right and doing things that are important to you.
As far as the build goes, sure you could swap around this and that bumper and save a few pounds here and there but at what cost? hundreds? thousands of dollars?
What I would do is look at things you are putting into the truck. Your gear and your electronics and see if there is anything you can live without.
Also, sure, you might be over the limit but I dont know what it would hurt at this point. Most of your weight is body armor and bumpers. If you can maybe do a few trial runs and see how things work out and you might realize you can swap x item out for y or maybe you didnt even need z item. I think you are more concerned with the trip(s) being special and not bogged down with breaking stuff or feeling unsafe and that is also commendable. You have great build taste and your truck looks amazing.
I think as a final thought I want to echo some other people, just get out there and go brother.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Let it be. Go and hit the trails, it sounds like you are very well versed in rolling with the punches and coming out of it looking to still give and take a swing. The most memorable trips I've had were ALWAYS the ones that never went according to plan. Those filled with tiny disasters are the ones I look back on with the greatest fondness and a hearty laugh. You've got one hell of a rig there and you could always shave off this and that here and there, the problem is that you really can't figure all the variables when you don't have a complete equation. For that answer, you need to get out there. Go live the life, laugh it up with your wife, and welcome the worst that can be thrown at you on the trails, I think in perspective it'll be quite insignificant. Cheers, Brother! I think you're ready to go earn that ultimate trail badge: Life Rated.

P.S. And figure out how to upload pics from your phone because we ALL expect to see a travel log of you guys having a blast.

Litfury

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
What an awesome looking build. I also have a red gladiator rubicon. Looking at yours gives me envy. Well done!
Also I pray peace for you and your family. Enjoy every moment you have!

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Sooo... I'm back again asking for advice on the weight of my JTR. I love my Jeep, but I'm concerned about how much weight I'm carrying. My intended use is moderate trails, overlanding, camping. I have only picked the items for my Jeep that I really wanted but the weight adds up quickly. I'd like to give you guys and gals a list of my build and get your thoughts on it. Started with a 2020 JTR fully loaded.

Added:
Steel fab 4 matrix front bumper with Smitty built 10 K synthetic winch.
Steel Road Armor rear bumper with Warn 8500 winch.
Rebel Off Road full height rack.
iKamper 2.0 Sky camp RTT
Sky Jacker 2.5 front/1.0 rear leveling kit
Vector bar on dash for electronics with 67 design phone mounts x 2,go pro mount and Garmin off road mount.
Go pro 8.
Garmin Over Lander.
Midland 40 watt GMRS radio.
Rock Krawler Motor and transmission skid plates.
Kenda Klever RT 35 x 10.5 tires
Two 2 inch KC backup lights on rear bumper
Six 3 inch square flood lights on the rack.
2 Piaa 9 inch lights on front bumper.
Skid plate in receiver hitch.
Custom GMRS antenna mount.
Hot Heads headlines. Two Elements fire extinguishers.
3 soft shackles.
4 bow shackles.
tree protector
1 30 foot tow rope
1 30 foot kinetic Bubba rope
small tool set (I mean really small)
Duct tape, zip ties, first aid kit, two flashlights.

I realize that my steel bumpers are heavy and that carrying an extra winch also adds to the weight. But I really like this build.
I weighed the truck on some CAT scales with a full tank of gas but no passengers. It weighs exactly 6200 pounds.
This does not include my spare, my Safe jack, my dual arb portable compressor, ARB Elements 63 quart fridge, any camping gear/food or passengers.
I know I'm over weight and am not sure what to do. I don't really want to go to a bigger truck. I see lots of builds similar to mine with no mention of weight. What do you Guys and Gals think. I'm willing to do upgrades if needed and cost is not really an issue.

I have a terminal illness and have been given about 9 months to live. I have been building this truck over the last year, to take on an Epic road adventure with my wife as soon as school is out. It has been good therapy for me. She is a school teacher. I just want to make sure we are all sorted before we set out. All replies are welcome.
You and me both brother! Love your rig!

Jeep Gladiator It's that pesky weight thing again IMG_5885

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
My suggestion would be to go with an aluminum front bumper, possibly aluminum on the back, or the stock bumper, and put a hitch receiver up front. Then put one of the winches on a hitch adapter, and you could use it front or rear.
I don't know how well it'd work out driving around with the winch sticking out the front, but you could always stow it when not in use (like you'll have room for it, eh?)
Best of luck.

Kevin

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I made a list of things to change and then I read your last paragraph. You truly have my sympathies and I wish you the best. Good for you for getting out there while you can. I'm located in Kansas City- please reach out if you need assistance while on your road trip.

Probably the quickest thing you can do with the largest impact is downsize your bumpers.

Now get out there and get after it!
----------------------
Here are some ideas-

1. Ditch the rear winch. You mentioned 7 shackles but no snatch block? There are lightweight winch ring alternatives.
2. Swap your steel Rock Krawler skid plates for Artec aluminum skids. They add only 10lbs to your rig over stock and offer ample protection for the "moderate trails" you want to do.
3. Replace your hard top with a soft top.
4. Rethink your rocker protection. You have steel sliders protecting your steel rocker guards. Are both necessary if you're doing moderate trails?
5. Downsize those bumpers.
6. Remove your custom GMRS antenna mount and go with something simpler/smaller. You aren't "gaining" much of anything with it there.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I made a list of things to change and then I read your last paragraph. You truly have my sympathies and I wish you the best. Good for you for getting out there while you can. I'm located in Kansas City- please reach out if you need assistance while on your road trip.

Probably the quickest thing you can do with the largest impact is downsize your bumpers.

Now get out there and get after it!
----------------------
Here are some ideas-

1. Ditch the rear winch. You mentioned 7 shackles but no snatch block? There are lightweight winch ring alternatives.
2. Swap your steel Rock Krawler skid plates for Artec aluminum skids. They add only 10lbs to your rig over stock and offer ample protection for the "moderate trails" you want to do.
3. Replace your hard top with a soft top.
4. Rethink your rocker protection. You have steel sliders protecting your steel rocker guards. Are both necessary if you're doing moderate trails?
5. Downsize those bumpers.
6. Remove your custom GMRS antenna mount and go with something simpler/smaller. You aren't "gaining" much of anything with it there.
Whats the weight of your wheels? Many are @34 pounds...Method has some wheels with bead grip technology (no bead lock necessary on moderate trails) that run 24 pounds (could save you minimum of 40 lbs total(more with spare)...have 2600 lbs load rating). Ditch the skid plate receiver. Agree with replacing bumpers (look at Genright), could be allot of weight savings there. I agree with Berserker's ideas as all are potential weight savings.

May want to step back and look at your rig from two perspectives: 1) what you received from Jeep that can be lightened or taken off. 2) what you modified that added weight and is not absolutely necessary (take off). What you added that is necessary, but can be lightened.

I laugh cause in the old days, soldiers used to carry @75 lbs of gear in their rucks. So the Army set out to lighten their load. So today soldiers have 75 pounds of light weight gear with added capabilities.

Keep us informed, as I am asking myself the same questions as I build my rig.

HopSlammer

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
You did good Kch, you put together a sweet rig! Besides echoing the sentiments of the other members, I’m sending good vibes and special prayers your way.

Live it while it’s your’s, treat it like it’s borrowed and love it like it’s forever.

Peace brother, look to the sun!

JA

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would second ditching the back seats your JT will loose quite a few pounds right there. But part of this is just go enjoy your time with your friend's, family, JT and what ever. If I found myself in that situation I'd sell off most of my stuff, cash out my retirement account and hit the road with what I wanted in my JT and LJ. Then do what the heck I want, the abrupt passing of a friend of mine is why I got mine when I did.
I paid off everything I owed then took a chunk of my retirement account bought my JT. Still working but no debts, I'm still thinking about cutting it all away and hitting the road anyway.
Sponsored