William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I have a bone stock, 2020 max tow, first year took several long highway trips hitting speeds of 80 maybe even a little more with no complaints about the suspension. Second year, on a trip hit a poorly maintained highway (I69 north out of Indy) and almost every bridge felt like a speed bump in a 70 mph zone and would send the Jeep into a death wobble. On the way home, once on the local highway, I had no problems. Took it in, they replaced the dampener and I had no problems but I didn't go on any bad highways so hard to tell if problem was fixed. Slowly about 6 months later, on one off ramp with a bad bump, the Jeep would get the death wobble. Each time I would have to slow down to an almost stop before it stabilized. Dealer want to replace the replacement dampener but none in stock. While waiting, I got new tires and an alignment, problem fixed so when stabilizer came in, didn't get it replaced. Well the problem has started again and started after I swapped out from my snow tires. The tires I put on were new last year, all at 36 lbs and I can't go on highways with speed limits above 60/65 without living in fear. Happened several times last week when I had to use I65 south of Indy, doing 70 in a 70 with a semi right behind me when I hit a bridge expansion joint and had to come to an almost stop with a semi on my ass. It seems that Jeep engineers, after having made a solid axle vehicle, still can't fix a problem, then maybe they need to go back to the drawing board or Jeep needs to hire new engineers. No modern vehicle, that is well maintained and only a few year and less than 100, 000 miles should have a front end of death.
Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The steering damper is rarely the solve for death wobble. I can’t disagree that they should make some design changes but the one thing I’ve noticed about all 3 of my current Jeeps is that the ball joints are made of a lot of plastic and wear out quick-ish.

While there are many things that can contribute to death wobble, new and proper ball joints will make a world of difference for you.

Last edited:

mpsoldier

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
LE
That's a sucky situation. Seeing as you have a 2020 Jeep, I recall hearing more about the death wobble more from pre-2022 models. I have a 2023 Mojave and so far, knock on wood, no death wobble.

I wish I had some fixes in mind that would work for you. I've heard that making sure everything is tightened to spec on the frontend helps quite a bit, but not sure that will "fix" your issue.

OP
OP
Murgatroid

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
That's a sucky situation. Seeing as you have a 2020 Jeep, I recall hearing more about the death wobble more from pre-2022 models. I have a 2023 Mojave and so far, knock on wood, no death wobble.

I wish I had some fixes in mind that would work for you. I've heard that making sure everything is tightened to spec on the frontend helps quite a bit, but not sure that will "fix" your issue.
Yeah, it seems that everything has to be perfect with the front end. Just changing from the snow tires, I did have one wobble with it when we hit 70 east out of Indy in December with the snow tires, to the less than a year old set of exact factory replacement tires that were all at 36#'s, and the wobble started on some local bumps. Sucks having a vehicle that I bought to tow my boat on the highway, that I can't safely take on the highway.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Not saying it’s going to magically fix anything, but that upgrading to an aftermarket steering stabilizer/dampener couldn’t hurt. I replaced mine with an AEV unit prior to 2,000 miles and it was a night and day difference.

No shit…I could compress the stock dampener with one finger. It may as well have not even been there. Not saying that the AEV/Bilstein unit is that great, but that the stock one is that bad.

Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
I've had my Mojave for two years and, so far, not any sign of death wobble (knock on wood). I wonder why most Jeepers never experience it, and some do. I agree that this can't be too hard to figure out. It would be one thing if it were happening to most JTs and JLs, but it is not. Just some. But why?

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
What does your alignment look like? I had mine done at farm and feet on a Sunday…. Should have gone to a good shop knowledgeable about jeeps. Pulled a hair to the left, turns out it was my stabilizer.

Anyway…the only thing they changed was the toe. Immediately following that it wobbled at 60 mph. Take a look at the video on this thread I put up looking for the answer. Worked for me.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/death-wobble-after-toe-adjustment.67603/

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not saying it’s going to magically fix anything, but that upgrading to an aftermarket steering stabilizer/dampener couldn’t hurt. I replaced mine with an AEV unit prior to 2,000 miles and it was a night and day difference.

No shit…I could compress the stock dampener with one finger. It may as well have not even been there. Not saying that the AEV/Bilstein unit is that great, but that the stock one is that bad.
What that will do is make the dampener last longer. That's all. There's still a problem, and that problem will wear through a stock stabilizer faster than a more expensive one. But it's still there with either.

If it's an unmodified vehicle, then it's got to be wear or damage - or something loose.
It's been hashed out in several long long long threads on that very topic.
Something is amiss.
Something is worn (joints, bushings)
Something is damaged
Something is loose (same effect as wear - something is able to move)
Tires can cause it, shocks according to some experts, incorrect toe can lead to it or be the final straw.

If wheels have been changed, larger tires installed, then toe needs to change. It gets complicated and even many "alignment shops" don't bother doing the geometry or math (or both) and just start tossing parts on like they see on the internet "just do this and it will fix it" - problem is, it doesn't.
DW can be caused by different things on different vehicles. What "fixes" or "resolves" it on one won't necessarily do a thing for the next one. So there's no one fix, people need to stop looking for the magic pill. It doesn't exist.

27,000 miles and 2.5 years on my 2020 when I traded it and it would do 90 with not a single vibration or shimmy of any type, and even on rough roads - not a problem at all.
I traded my 95 F250 away because of near-DW with it even after spending 2 grand on parts. Got tired of chasing it and wanted a newer truck anyway.

mpsoldier

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
LE
Yeah, it seems that everything has to be perfect with the front end. Just changing from the snow tires, I did have one wobble with it when we hit 70 east out of Indy in December with the snow tires, to the less than a year old set of exact factory replacement tires that were all at 36#'s, and the wobble started on some local bumps. Sucks having a vehicle that I bought to tow my boat on the highway, that I can't safely take on the highway.

I hope you can get it figured out without having to invest a ton of cash you may or may not have. It is pretty frustrating. Seems some folks on her recommended ball joints and some other potential fixes. Maybe that will correct some of that.

Keep us posted on how you come along. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The steering stabilizer is a band aid, I live with a F-250 work truck that gets the death wobble when my tires get past 60,000 miles about. True death wobble is what you are describing, people all around you know you are having it, you have to go from 70 to about 25-30 to have it stop. Ford has put five stabilizers on the truck, makes no difference, new tires make a huge difference, they run my tires out to 76,000 both sets, get new tires it is a whole new truck again. Most every post on here about death wobble is either a shimmy and not death wobble, you have death wobble my friend, others that have it always seem to come back with damaged or loose bolts, have your front suspension, steering box, and all steering parts gone over, or lay under truck while someone is turning the vehicle left and right and safely feel each joint , you will feel it. Steering Stabilizer does not fix death wobble correct caster and alingment with replacing worn or tightening parts is what fixes it.....Jack

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
A stabilizer is not going to fix your problem, even a upgraded one. I can ride without mine and not get death wobble and go over a speed bump at 45 mph. A steering stabilizer just takes to harshness of the road out of the steering wheel but it is 100% never been the case of death wobble. A properly setup well tightened front end will not get wobble and should be able to be driven without one with getting it. I have 3-1/4 inch lift and 37's on mine and It drives great and had never had death wobble and I've hit some serious bumps at 60, 70 and 80 mph. I can also remove my stabilizer and ride with it off without getting death wobble. I got nothing special done to mine. I did upgrade to a fox stabilizer to match the Rubicon fox shocks I got with the Rubicon front springs I put on but it's no better than the stock one I had on honestly. Unless your riding on bigger tires there is no need to upgrade the steering stabilizer.

I'd start checking track bar, drag link, control arms and tie rod tightness and make sure everything is tighten to torque specs.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I have a bone stock, 2020 max tow, first year took several long highway trips hitting speeds of 80 maybe even a little more with no complaints about the suspension. Second year, on a trip hit a poorly maintained highway (I69 north out of Indy) and almost every bridge felt like a speed bump in a 70 mph zone and would send the Jeep into a death wobble. On the way home, once on the local highway, I had no problems. Took it in, they replaced the dampener and I had no problems but I didn't go on any bad highways so hard to tell if problem was fixed. Slowly about 6 months later, on one off ramp with a bad bump, the Jeep would get the death wobble. Each time I would have to slow down to an almost stop before it stabilized. Dealer want to replace the replacement dampener but none in stock. While waiting, I got new tires and an alignment, problem fixed so when stabilizer came in, didn't get it replaced. Well the problem has started again and started after I swapped out from my snow tires. The tires I put on were new last year, all at 36 lbs and I can't go on highways with speed limits above 60/65 without living in fear. Happened several times last week when I had to use I65 south of Indy, doing 70 in a 70 with a semi right behind me when I hit a bridge expansion joint and had to come to an almost stop with a semi on my ass. It seems that Jeep engineers, after having made a solid axle vehicle, still can't fix a problem, then maybe they need to go back to the drawing board or Jeep needs to hire new engineers. No modern vehicle, that is well maintained and only a few year and less than 100, 000 miles should have a front end of death.
It has nothing to do with Jeep engineering

You have to do routine maintenance on a solid axle vehicle and replace bushing and or parts in the steering system in addition to the dampner

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Murgatroid

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
It has nothing to do with Jeep engineering

You have to do routine maintenance on a solid axle vehicle and replace bushing and or parts in the steering system in addition to the dampner
After one year? My Jeep has been into the dealer for all service intervals, and been well maintained. So no it is an engineering problem when I get a card from lawyers about it.
Sponsored