Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
SAAS model sucks. probably have Tesla to thank for this model with autopilot being purchaseable after you bought the car and unlocked. I heard that when you sell the car that Tesla will disable the autopilot and make the new owner pay again to unlock the capability! Ridiculous
Sponsored

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Will this only work with similarly equipped Jeeps?

I am not a big fan of proprietary software (especially Version 1.0), I'm sure most of you have found other ways to accomplish location tracking and texting while wheeling outside cellular coverage areas. This technology has been around a while in non-proprietary form , AIS (Automatic Identification System) on my boat, gives me the locations of all other boats (broadcasting AIS) on a graphical marine map (www.marinetraffic.com). And DSC (Digital Selective Calling) allows texting to other boats. You also have many manufacturers to choose from. Note: Using marine frequencies on land is illegal.

Ham band radio APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) allows GPS equipped radios to broadcast their location (www.aprs.fi). Ham can also utilize multiple techniques for texting. Again many manufacturers to choose from.

In cellular areas a couple ideas, I've never tried either,
1.) Could a person temporarily allow "Find my Phone" to see the location of other people in your group. SMS texting accomplished in usual manner.
2.) Does anyone use Waze within a group to locate each other on a map? (I've noticed other "Waziers" are displayed)

None of the above are conditional to one proprietary piece of software/hardware (but all require stuck-on, not built-in hardware, advantage "Path Connected"), you could include in your group anyone with a APRS capable radio, or in cell service area, anyone with a cell phone using iCloud or Waze app. Wouldn't matter if they were in a brand new Jeep with proprietary software, or a Toyota, Hummer, Range Rover, Geo Tracker, mini bike or hiking boots.

I love my Jeep, but I'm not a Solution in Search of a Problem person. If I'm off base on this please let me know.

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
Let me guess not backward compatible so no good for anyone that currently already has a jeep. They are so far behind on tech compared to others with regard to where Wireless, Bluetooth and satellite are already at. Plus if like anything else it will have a big $$$$ to have it. Geez my daughters 2018 second hand Nissan we paid $13K for has more tech in it than my Jeep Gladiator
I have always wondered what possesses people to buy a specific vehicle without considerations in mind? Do they research what they are getting or not getting before purchasing? Or do you just go with it and later get on forums and complain about what shoulda coulda? Competion in the auto world is based on research. We just happen to not have a say on anything they come up with. If we did we would be working for them, maybe.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I have always wondered what possesses people to buy a specific vehicle without considerations in mind? Do they research what they are getting or not getting before purchasing? Or do you just go with it and later get on forums and complain about what shoulda coulda? Competion in the auto world is based on research. We just happen to not have a say on anything they come up with. If we did we would be working for them, maybe.
A Jeep is a Jeep. I think we all get that. But I completely agree with the sentiment that if a 13K Nissan can have cool tech then it's reasonable to expect a 40-60K Jeep should too.

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
A Jeep is a Jeep. I think we all get that. But I completely agree with the sentiment that if a 13K Nissan can have cool tech then it's reasonable to expect a 40-60K Jeep should too.
Nissan probably sacrificed something for the cool tech. Like quality? Jeep is an after market conduit. I don't know any other vehicle that falls strongly in that category, buy it now, add it later

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I knew exactly what I was purchasing and getting with the jeep. I deliberately didn't get any tech in the jeep for multiple reasons. Jeep should have already had it included in the price and not nickel and dime me for a vehicle that cost this much. Second I had it in my Ram and it was the buggiest crap that never worked half the time which they had no answer on how to get it to work. Would I have liked to have had the 8.4 or other sure if it had come included with the price I paid but not for a big upcharge. Sorry if you don't agree with me but a vehicle that cost $45K should not be asking someone to pay another what $1500 or more for a 1.5" larger screen and also should come with lane change warning and rear parking warning without another $$$ upcharge. Sorry but the its a Jeep thing you don't get that unless you pay is as dumb as the people who say oh sorry its a Jeep its supposed to drive like that. Nope doesn't fly with me in this age and market. But as long as Jeep has folks willing to pay it they will continue on with that policy.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan probably sacrificed something for the cool tech. Like quality? Jeep is an after market conduit. I don't know any other vehicle that falls strongly in that category, buy it now, add it later
Don't know what they sacrificed but that car so far has show to be a very well built car and while there are some cheapy parts inside, etc yep but so does my Jeep Gladiator have some cheapy plastic parts all over it. I am in no way trying to compare the two but again you like others try to justify that everything is ok because Jeep says so. That damned Nissan has lane change, rear parking, Collision avoidance, etc. All things that should come in a modern higher end vehicle without having to break the bank to get.

YO_Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ..... '21 JTR!
So I'm new to the whole display in the dash game, having had the same YJ since the 90's and my other vehicle missed this trend by a model year.

While I like the accessibility of the data that the uconnect in my JT offers, I'm equally disappointed with it and I don't see the new uconnect having improved anything there.

What I think would be a HUGE improvement (or maybe I haven't yet figured out how to do this) would be the ability to load additional apps of my choice into the uconnect, like I can on my phone (wait my phone is slaved to the uconnect already giving it the connectivity it needs, when I have service) a tablet or heck even the laptop that I'm typing this on. Being able to upload things like Gaia, onX, or any other trail/mapping/GPS apps (et al) to the uconnect would allow the removal of the phone and tablet mounts that have become so common. Removing these mounts would also make the area more safe in a collision as there are fewer things projecting from the dash for you to hit, giving you more space to randomly move around in.

As it sits the uconnect is only a neat gadget, that is also superfluous at the same time. If we had the ability to tailor the uconnect to our individual needs, by being able to customize apps like on a phone/tablet, it would transition to a useful tool in my mind.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I enjoy all this tech as much as the next guy, but part of me wishes they would stick to some simpler systems that have a chance of aging well when the vehicle is 20-30yrs old. They'll abandon this system eventually and then everyone is stuck with an unsupported proprietary system that is so integrated into your vehicle that you can't remove it even if you want to.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I'm new to the whole display in the dash game, having had the same YJ since the 90's and my other vehicle missed this trend by a model year.

While I like the accessibility of the data that the uconnect in my JT offers, I'm equally disappointed with it and I don't see the new uconnect having improved anything there.

What I think would be a HUGE improvement (or maybe I haven't yet figured out how to do this) would be the ability to load additional apps of my choice into the uconnect, like I can on my phone (wait my phone is slaved to the uconnect already giving it the connectivity it needs, when I have service) a tablet or heck even the laptop that I'm typing this on. Being able to upload things like Gaia, onX, or any other trail/mapping/GPS apps (et al) to the uconnect would allow the removal of the phone and tablet mounts that have become so common. Removing these mounts would also make the area more safe in a collision as there are fewer things projecting from the dash for you to hit, giving you more space to randomly move around in.

As it sits the uconnect is only a neat gadget, that is also superfluous at the same time. If we had the ability to tailor the uconnect to our individual needs, by being able to customize apps like on a phone/tablet, it would transition to a useful tool in my mind.
I believe you can do that with one of the Aftermarket options. There system allows you to add whatever apps you want.

Sponsored

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2021 Pacifica Pinnacle Hybrid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mariner
I seem to be in the minority here but I have the Uconnect 5 with the 10.1 and wireless carplay and it has been good so far. Less than a year so far but this was released before the GCL had it.

YO_Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ..... '21 JTR!
I believe you can do that with one of the Aftermarket options. There system allows you to add whatever apps you want.
And there is the problem, what has been the standard in computing since the early '80's when we had a Commodore64 at home/school requires aftermarket replacements 40 years later in computerized vehicles.

The fact that I can not add the apps that I desire to the uconnect is a massive failure in the execution of the system. This same fail exists in all of the other modern vehicles that I have been in.

The rest of my JT is pretty awesome and amazed this old Jeeper in what it can do everytime that I am out in it. As it sits the whole uconnect is nothing more than a distraction in my opinion. A simple update allowing me to customize the uconnect to fit my needs would cause me to completely change my opinion and give the 8.4" uconnect at least a B+

Reactions: BAT

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And there is the problem, what has been the standard in computing since the early '80's when we had a Commodore64 at home requires aftermarket replacements in computerized vehicles.

The fact that I can not add the apps that I desire to the uconnect is a massive failure in the design of the system.

The rest of my JT is pretty awesome. As it sits the whole uconnect is nothing more than a distraction in my opinion. A simple update allowing me to customize the uconnect to fit my needs would cause me to completely change my opinion and give the 8.4" uconnect at least a B+
I remembered what company it was. Insane Audio I believe has the system that allows you to add your own apps, etc.
Sponsored