Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator 101 - Oil Change on the 3.6L V6 (video)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, do you not crack the oil filler cap prior to draining? I’ve always been taught that will help oil drain quicker.
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator 101 - Oil Change on the 3.6L V6 (video) filter-drainback

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator 101 - Oil Change on the 3.6L V6 (video) Screenshot 2023-04-04 100207
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry, but I’m struggling to follow.
Remove cap, lift filter, the filter housing drains back so you don't have a mess.
Me - remove cap, lift filter, drain pan, that way the filter housing drains into the pan.
If you drain the pan and put the plug back in, then remove the cap and change the filter, you can drop dirty oil back into the engine.

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
Remove cap, lift filter, the filter housing drains back so you don't have a mess.
Me - remove cap, lift filter, drain pan, that way the filter housing drains into the pan.
If you drain the pan and put the plug back in, then remove the cap and change the filter, you can drop dirty oil back into the engine.

Right. Understood on that. So you’re saying pull off the filler cap, and then crack the filter to drain with the rest of the oil. That makes sense.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
In the video I emptied the oil first, then replaced the filter while the drain plug was still open. This accomplishes the same. But yes, you don't want to seal the drain plug and then change the filter as that would retain dirty oil in the system.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In the video I emptied the oil first, then replaced the filter while the drain plug was still open. This accomplishes the same. But yes, you don't want to seal the drain plug and then change the filter as that would retain dirty oil in the system.
Accomplishes the same thing. Your video stands as a good example for new-to-oil-changes in a Jeep.
I get a bit picky, personally, when doing oil changes. I figure on having something to do for 15-20 minutes while the plug is out. Maybe checking other fluids and so on. That way the plug goes back after it's stopped dripping.
Maybe I learned this when working a shop where our "oil, filter and service" included washing windows inside and out, vacuuming the floors, checking ALL fluids and adding as necessary. You learned to order things to save time and be efficient. You were doing a lot in a short time and I just hated the thought of putting a plug back in when there was still a trickle or fast dripping of the oil out of the pan.
Will 1 or 2 ounces matter in the whole 160 ounces of oil we put back in (if we keep the jug tipped until not a single drop is left)? No, but it bugs me.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, do you not crack the oil filler cap prior to draining? I’ve always been taught that will help oil drain quicker.
It's a recommendation to do that, I do some of the time as a reminder too.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Nothing super fancy in there. It is pretty straight forward. Really for those that have never done it before or are curious about doing it on their own for the first time. The biggest thing in my opinion is to use the 24mm socket for the oil filter housing cap. Some people try and get by with the standard 15/16 but it is just off enough to cause you problems with the plastic cap and curl those corners which is no bueno and will cause much more of a heartache moving forward. ~ Eric
Mmm ... the socket for mine is 27mm.

starrskream

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Accomplishes the same thing. Your video stands as a good example for new-to-oil-changes in a Jeep.
I get a bit picky, personally, when doing oil changes. I figure on having something to do for 15-20 minutes while the plug is out. Maybe checking other fluids and so on. That way the plug goes back after it's stopped dripping.
Maybe I learned this when working a shop where our "oil, filter and service" included washing windows inside and out, vacuuming the floors, checking ALL fluids and adding as necessary. You learned to order things to save time and be efficient. You were doing a lot in a short time and I just hated the thought of putting a plug back in when there was still a trickle or fast dripping of the oil out of the pan.
Will 1 or 2 ounces matter in the whole 160 ounces of oil we put back in (if we keep the jug tipped until not a single drop is left)? No, but it bugs me.
agree completely.
I one time, put two quarts in the engine with the plug out just to let it "wash out" the old oil. Merely because i was curious. a little black did come out for maybe 5-10 seconds then it was all honey. Waste of money but satisfied my curiosity.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Nothing super fancy in there. It is pretty straight forward. Really for those that have never done it before or are curious about doing it on their own for the first time. The biggest thing in my opinion is to use the 24mm socket for the oil filter housing cap. Some people try and get by with the standard 15/16 but it is just off enough to cause you problems with the plastic cap and curl those corners which is no bueno and will cause much more of a heartache moving forward. ~ Eric
Do you have the old style replaceable cartridge or the new expensive one piece filter ?

Mine is the newer type, maybe the difference ?
*Just double checked, confirmed mine is 27mm.... might be because its a diesel also ?

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I watched a lot of videos when I had my first one and was scared to do stuff. It the more you do the more comfortable you will get. This is an easy service that can save you $50+ a change (in my area).
If you have a diesel... add $100 to that.
Sponsored