Sponsored

Jeep Towing + Manual Transmission = HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I feel your pain but the fact is that the only manual transmissions stronger than the 6-speed that comes in the Wrangler would be the ones that would come in a 3/4-ton pickup. They are Ginormous & HEAVY.
Not even close to true - the Taco can tow 7600lbs with a 6 spd manual, the same as their automatic, and that's not a 3/4t...

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Not even close to true - the Taco can tow 7600lbs with a 6 spd manual, the same as their automatic, and that's not a 3/4t...
Their R&D team got tired of testing things... if they fully vetted it out it might delay it another 2-3 years. I mean the concept was released over what 15 years ago?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I meant there isn't a transmission "Available to FCA"... Guess they couldn't (wouldn't?) purchase the Toyota transmission & go through the R&D to fit it into the JT.
BTW this is straight off Toyota's website:

Toyota1.PNG

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I meant there isn't a transmission "Available to FCA"... Guess they couldn't (wouldn't?) purchase the Toyota transmission & go through the R&D to fit it into the JT.

Toyota1.PNG
those are all 6 speed automatics?

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
those are all 6 speed automatics?
I 'built' 3 different models all with the manual transmission, they all said they had the same tow capacity as the auto. :shrug:
Seems Jeep would have torn a couple of Tacos apart to see exactly how they managed to hit that rating. Could they have figured out a way to get a 12" clutch in there?
I'm kinda thinking that Toyota must use a lower 'safety factor' for their tow ratings & Jeep is more conservative. Just a feeling tho -

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

Toyota1.PNG
Yeah, sorry - meant 6400 not 7600.. Still way more than 4500. As far as availability - most auto mfr's don't build their own transmissions, so FCA could buy one from Aisin just like Toyota does (and like they have done in the past - the NV3550 was a jeep branded AX-15)...

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
..., so FCA could buy one from Aisin just like Toyota does “....
I agree in theory but that assumes the transmission was available, many scenarios where it might not be.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Yeah, sorry - meant 6400 not 7600.. Still way more than 4500. As far as availability - most auto mfr's don't build their own transmissions, so FCA could buy one from Aisin just like Toyota does (and like they have done in the past - the NV3550 was a jeep branded AX-15)...
The m/t they are using is made by Aisin. It’s the D478.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
It was except for the fact I had to wrestle the jeep over the rocks with a blown PS pump for a good 4 hours on the rest of the trail. But overal the jeep took a beating and kept going.
Why steering wheels used to be huge...

Vintage_Off-road_vehicle_steering_wheel.JPG

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Thankfully I wasn’t around for that.
Old guy told me first thing you learned was not to thumb the wheel while wheelin. Because the wheel ain't stopping for any thumb. Said him and all his friends learned the hard way, swole thumbs. Of course, this is BP. So that matters .

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
I feel your pain but the fact is that the only manual transmissions stronger than the 6-speed that comes in the Wrangler would be the ones that would come in a 3/4-ton pickup. They are Ginormous & HEAVY. I have a ZF-6 from an F250 in my garage (working on a trans swap for my Wagoneer) and that dude must weigh 200+ pounds, without the t-case.
At least you have an option for a stick, can't get one at All with the diesel option :no:

Too bad that Getrag 238 that was in the Rams and Dakota's rated for towing 7200ish never existed.

Good thing it's not standing up to those 6 speed hemi swaps in wranglers.

Wouldn't want Jeep to stumble on something that fits in the jk with nothing more than a modified crossmember.

All sarcasm aside there are ZERO reasons to ignore a proven transmission still in production by getrag that will fit with minimal changes to the platform. Well, beside laziness or a conspiracy to claim people don't want manuals by artificially gimping the manual transmission platform so they can use that as an excuse to abandon them.

I can almost guarantee there will be a hemi gladiator with a g238 behind it at Easter Jeep Safari this year. But we all know the rigs people really want are held closely by Jeep never to be released to the public.
Sponsored