Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
OK - I have mine on. Looks great. Photos soon.

But I have a question for the good folks here.

Do you think that the Yakima Overhaul HD system would be able to go on the top of the Upper Decker.

Here is the link to it: https://www.yakima.com/overhaul-hd-system

I think that, if you use the Tonneau Kit 1 to fit on top of the Upper Decker with the holes (https://www.yakima.com/tonneau-kit-1) and then put the Overhaul in there, it could work (as long as the bolt holes line up).

I might need to get different bolts to replace the ones that go in the rails, or I may not.

What do you think?
Wow that's a great idea! I don't know if it'll run into the same issues with the results but that would be pretty functional. I called Yakima originally and they talked me though how it wouldn't work. They did walk me through how to bolt a rack on with u bolts though. Good customer service. Let me know what they say.
Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Wow that's a great idea! I don't know if it'll run into the same issues with the results but that would be pretty functional. I called Yakima originally and they talked me though how it wouldn't work. They did walk me through how to bolt a rack on with u bolts though. Good customer service. Let me know what they say.
Home Depot has a sale right now on the Yakima Overhaul. May just order it and see if I can get it to work. Else I can return it...

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
@ACE Engineering , I might have missed it, but are the four holes drilled into the side of the RTT mounts in a diamond pattern drilled to match anything in particular, or are they just randomly spaced holes to look good and maybe lineup with something someone might want to mount?

OP
OP
ACE Engineering

ACE Engineering

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
ACE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU, 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK-8
@ACE Engineering , I might have missed it, but are the four holes drilled into the side of the RTT mounts in a diamond pattern drilled to match anything in particular, or are they just randomly spaced holes to look good and maybe lineup with something someone might want to mount?
Mostly the latter - but if you are not running a tent they will hold RotopaX.

Thank you,

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So this is by no means a knock on the Upper Decker in any way shape or form...I was one of the first purchasers and it's a great product, but I ordered early after just getting my Gladiator and after having it for almost a year and realizing what I like and don't like and what my needs are, I am looking to move in a different direction and might have an Upper Decker for sale. I have the crossbars and 2-3 sets of the accessory mounts (can't remember how many I ordered). Obviously I wouldn't be shipping this, but I would be willing meet someone and do the uninstall in a parking lot somewhere or someone local to the MD/DC/VA area could come grab it. If you might be interested, shoot me a PM.

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly the latter - but if you are not running a tent they will hold RotopaX.

Thank you,
Thanks. You guys should make a MOLLE panel that mates up to those holes and spans between the two RTT mounts. That would make it much easier to mount things like traction boards, shovels or axes.

Also, have you guys ever installed on a JT without a bedliner in it? I ask because my truck does not have one and the UD is too short for the rear to seal, at all:

Before adding the weather stipping
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UDissue1

With the supplied weather stripping installed.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UDissue2

Those photos were taken with the UD fully installed. The hings are mounted flush to the front of the bed, so I can't slide the UD back any to get a better seal on the tailgate (and if I slid it back any at all, then it would not seal in the front). I've ordered a 3/4 sear for the rear, but you guys might want to have that as an option on your site for those of us without bedliners.

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I finally got my brackets fabricated for my Ace Upper Decker.

I still need to prime and paint the whole set-up (bars, towers, hardware), but here is a pic for now.

The Custom Camping Concepts towers (with cross bars)have been welded to a bracket that attaches into the Ace Upper Decker. Total overkill, but each bracket has 4 bolts on top going into the Decker, and 3 (with washers) in the side holes. It is not going anywhere.

When I reinstall, I will probably not even use all of the bolts - depends on how long it takes me to put them on and take them off!

Once I prime and paint, I'll be getting a Roof Top Tent for this, but I'd also be able to use a Roof basket, or anythign I want with those bars.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! Jeep with Decker and Bars.JPG

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! Jeep Tent Opened

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! Jeep Tent Opened

Looks great! Does ur upper decker seal well front and back. Seems they made mine a lil short. Tho I prefer this topper over any others. Enjoy ur trips!

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
Yes - I've had no leaks with mine anywhere, and it even went through the car wash a couple of times.

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! Does ur upper decker seal well front and back. Seems they made mine a lil short. Tho I prefer this topper over any others. Enjoy ur trips!
Yes - I've had no leaks with mine anywhere, and it even went through the car wash a couple of times.
Mine was quite a bit short as well. After installing the rear weather strip, there was still about 1/4" gap between it and the tail gate. I do not have the spray in bed liner and I think that is the issue. From looking at some JTs with bed liners, the coatings appear to be about 1/8" thick. If you add 1/8" to the front and rear of the bed, it would make up the 1/4" gap that I had. I ended up ordering 1" D shaped weather stripping and that did the trick to seal it up.

Photos in post #261 above

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was quite a bit short as well. After installing the rear weather strip, there was still about 1/4" gap between it and the tail gate. I do not have the spray in bed liner and I think that is the issue. From looking at some JTs with bed liners, the coatings appear to be about 1/8" thick. If you add 1/8" to the front and rear of the bed, it would make up the 1/4" gap that I had. I ended up ordering 1" D shaped weather stripping and that did the trick to seal it up.

Photos in post #261 above
I may follow ur lead now with the thicker gasket. I have the bedliner, and i have the tiniest gap most the way. The forward seal i installed as per the video, but i think it should've gone about 1/8" - 1/4" back to make a good seal (towards the radius) maybe I can find another one of those and reapply. Thanks

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I may follow ur lead now with the thicker gasket. I have the bedliner, and i have the tiniest gap most the way. The forward seal i installed as per the video, but i think it should've gone about 1/8" - 1/4" back to make a good seal (towards the radius) maybe I can find another one of those and reapply. Thanks
Sorry, I actually ordered this 3/4" strip. It took about 8 days to get.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tailgate strip aside, I've been able to mount traction boards with their tent mount. Tight, but doable. Easily accessed. Nothing a few 5/16x2 bolts, washers, nuts, and knobs from true value couldn't handle. Had to make some extra holes in the boards, but nothing crazy and still functional. Setup looks great, and gotten several compliments.
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20200830_191004
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! 20200830_191035
Sponsored