Sponsored

JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available!

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Today, I began installation of my Upper Decker. What slowed me down were the hinges. Does anyone have any tips for how they installed their hinges?
I attached the hinges to the Upper Decker, then used a white thin tipped marker to crawl in and mark the holes on the front of the bed. Note if you have the factory sprayed liner, you might need to cut some extra liner away to get the nutzerts in correctly. Also you might look at my build page as I ended up having mine Rhino-Lined because of finish coming off and rusting issues. It turned out very nice!
Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I attached the hinges to the Upper Decker, then used a white thin tipped marker to crawl in and mark the holes on the front of the bed. Note if you have the factory sprayed liner, you might need to cut some extra liner away to get the nutzerts in correctly. Also you might look at my build page as I ended up having mine Rhino-Lined because of finish coming off and rusting issues. It turned out very nice!
Thank you, @Pat2Alaska . Here in Southern California I don't have issues with my Jeeps rusting, but I will likely plan for its eventual rust as I also look at lining the bed going forward.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
During installation today, I separated the hinge on the drivers side. I will use some channel lock pliers to fix the hinge tomorrow and see if that works.

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today, I took the truck for a small shakedown drive out to Joshua Tree National Park. I love this Upper Decker unit. I was able to finally store my items in the bed with everything locked in place. Everything was free of dust and the truck now has a finished appearance. I am very happy.
Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! PXL_20201129_004854061

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Today, I began installation of my Upper Decker. What slowed me down were the hinges. Does anyone have any tips for how they installed their hinges?
My tip is to replace them with some real hinges.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-4

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-5

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-7

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-8

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-9

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-10

ACE did send my new hardware and seals when I asked for them.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My tip is to replace them with some real hinges.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UpperDeckerIssue-10

ACE did send my new hardware and seals when I asked for them.
Those hinges do look ALOT better. I rarely open mine, so no issues here, knock on wood. But I'm sure my offroading adventures will catch up to me with tent on top all time

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Those hinges do look ALOT better. I rarely open mine, so no issues here, knock on wood. But I'm sure my offroading adventures will catch up to me with tent on top all time
How did the hinge damage occur? @Etoimos
I hit a large pot hole in a dirt road doing 20-25mph after about 45 minutes of driving down washboard roads at about the same speed. The only thing on the UD was some traction boards and some plastic ramps that I use to level my Off Grid Trailer, so no weight on it at all. You can see more photos of the incident and how I got it off my back glass in the field in my trip report.

I do really like the UD, but there are a few things they could have done better on it. The hinges are the main thing, but it could have also been about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider so that it rests on the bed rails the entire length of the bed. Mine was also about 1/4 inch too short.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UDissue1

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UDissue2

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hit a large pot hole in a dirt road doing 20-25mph after about 45 minutes of driving down washboard roads.
You can see more photos of the incident and how I got it off my back glass in the field in my trip report.

Jeep Gladiator JT Gladiator Upper Decker Hinged Cargo Basket Now Available! UDissue2

I hunted through your #Neowise trip thread and a few others and nothing was mentioned. Can you provide a quick link to your field repair @Etoimos ?

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I hunted through your #Neowise trip thread and a few others and nothing was mentioned. Can you provide a quick link to your field repair @Etoimos ?
It is in the post right above yours... but here it is again for quick access. I did not fix the hinges in the field, I simply used a tree to pull the UD back in place (the struts were pushing it forward) and then used ratchet straps to secure it back in place until I got home and could remover it and repair it as needed.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I hit a large pot hole in a dirt road doing 20-25mph after about 45 minutes of driving down washboard roads at about the same speed. The only thing on the UD was some traction boards and some plastic ramps that I use to level my Off Grid Trailer, so no weight on it at all. You can see more photos of the incident and how I got it off my back glass in the field in my trip report.

I do really like the UD, but there are a few things they could have done better on it. The hinges are the main thing, but it could have also been about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wider so that it rests on the bed rails the entire length of the bed. Mine was also about 1/4 inch too short.

U, myself, and several others agree on the overall dimensions. That and the use of m4 hardware.

Total interior height is a bit of an issue, but this is no fault of the basket. As a tip: stop at a love's/pilot/flying j gas station and pick up an aluminum j hook in the truck section (~$8). This will help grab anything at the front of the bed, so long theres something to hook to.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed stronger struts to lift more weight? The ones that came with mine can barely hold it up by its self in colder temps. I'm wanting to mount some other things on it and still have it stay up and not amputate my arms when I reach in from the side.

i might upgrade to a stronger struts to assist with the tent weight.
Did you ever do this or find the right struts to do it?

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Has anyone installed stronger struts to lift more weight? The ones that came with mine can barely hold it up by its self in colder temps. I'm wanting to mount some other things on it and still have it stay up and not amputate my arms when I reach in from the side.

Did you ever do this or find the right struts to do it?
I'd be interested in better struts as well...
Sponsored