First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Thanks for taking the time to put all this together Dirk, very informative. Some of my previous assumptions were made a lot clearer.
Sponsored

ericnewcom

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR MT
Ordered mine today. Awaiting confirmation email with tracking info. I'm looking forward to experiencing the difference.

OP
OP
ACTman

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
Clutch Assist Spring Testing

From a recent clutch installation on a Gladiator with 62K we were able to get more testing done and gain more data points to consider. First, we focused a lot on the pedal assembly and testing the assist spring. The illustration below explains how to interpret the pedal test graphs. The example is from a brand new 2019 Wrangler JL.

Jeep Gladiator JT/JL Clutch and Flywheel explained by ACT JL Pedal Graph Explained sm

Here is a video summarizing the results of our assist spring testing.

https://youtu.be/zWQHSCoivXo

For those willing to experiment, I have a deal for you! In exchange for your feedback, I am going to give away these lighter springs to at least 10 of the first people who PM or email their contact information. Make sure to include your name, address, and vehicle mileage.
edit: I already have at least 15 people signed up for testing. Let's see what they think. Thanks!

Installation is super easy. If you don’t like it, take a couple minutes, and change it back. You may want to change it a couple times just to be sure you are not imagining anything in your analysis.

I am not saying that this will solve the OE clutch issues of the JL/JT, but maybe this will improve the driving experience with the stock clutch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ACTman

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Recent testing on a Gladiator clutch with 62K shows surprising and important findings.

Watch:

I have to take back what I said about the OEM JL/JT clutch being adequate. This makes a good case for buying an ACT clutch and flywheel even on a stock vehicle.

ericnewcom

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR MT
Ordered mine today. Awaiting confirmation email with tracking info. I'm looking forward to experiencing the difference.
I had a local shop I've had do work for me before install my clutch today. Unfortunately they called and said the throwout bearing that came with the kit is making a bad rotational noise when the clutch is depressed so they're going to have to pull it back apart and re-install the factory bearing. @ACTman have you had any other reports of bad bearings?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ACTman

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a local shop I've had do work for me before install my clutch today. Unfortunately they called and said the throwout bearing that came with the kit is making a bad rotational noise when the clutch is depressed so they're going to have to pull it back apart and re-install the factory bearing. @ACTman have you had any other reports of bad bearings?
No, definitely not. Make sure to get the bearing back to us to inspect. Release bearings don't typically fail upon install but over time, which is why we specify a better grease and OEM Dupont plastic for our JL bearings to help them last. There are now cheaper aftermarket bearings available that we have no interest in selling. Send me a PM when you get to see the bearing for yourself.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Clutch Assist Spring Testing

From a recent clutch installation on a Gladiator with 62K we were able to get more testing done and gain more data points to consider. First, we focused a lot on the pedal assembly and testing the assist spring. The illustration below explains how to interpret the pedal test graphs. The example is from a brand new 2019 Wrangler JL.

Jeep Gladiator JT/JL Clutch and Flywheel explained by ACT JL Pedal Graph Explained sm

Here is a video summarizing the results of our assist spring testing.

https://youtu.be/zWQHSCoivXo

For those willing to experiment, I have a deal for you! In exchange for your feedback, I am going to give away these lighter springs to at least 10 of the first people who PM or email their contact information. Make sure to include your name, address, and vehicle mileage.
edit: I already have at least 15 people signed up for testing. Let's see what they think. Thanks!

Installation is super easy. If you don’t like it, take a couple minutes, and change it back. You may want to change it a couple times just to be sure you are not imagining anything in your analysis.

I am not saying that this will solve the OE clutch issues of the JL/JT, but maybe this will improve the driving experience with the stock clutch.
i installed the lighter spring this afternoon and it was relatively easy, no contortions needed. Just depress the clutch, kneel at the drivers door, reach in with right hand along the driver side between clutch and side wall, pop the plastic saddle off the attachment bar at the bottom and it drops right out.
the hardest part is getting a grip on the spring to compress it to release the tension enough to pop the plastic saddle off. There is no room to get a hand on it and it is greased and slippery.
I used a 5 1/2” long block of wood between the clutch and brake pedals to hold the clutch depressed and my iPhone on the floor to give me a visual of what was going on. I used a small screwdriver to compress the spring and it popped right off.
first impression is it does give a better feel for the engagement point. That alone makes for an overall improvement. Engagement point with the oem spring was nonexistent.
Recomended as the interim fix until the recall fix is determined.

D01F9B32-EA77-4608-8B7B-E7AAD25C7E0B.jpeg

7AE76AB2-BD2E-4A66-BAF9-7CF035AA6750.jpeg

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
thanks for install pointers @Gatorized , on my to do list for memorial day weekend.

OP
OP
ACTman

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks Gatorized for the feedback.
Keep in mind the lighter spring will do nothing to increase the capacity of the stock clutch., but it will improve the feel. If you are experienced clutch slippage, we have an excellent option for that.

Sponsored

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Is there a discount code for this sale?

OP
OP
ACTman